Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
So he time Anderson performs the same in one full season are you going to give him another chance or ready to dump him.

If Anderson is awful at everything after 1100 plate appearances, like Avi, then I'll be perfectly ready to dump him.

If I am Hahn I get plan B one step away from signed and tell Cespedes look this is our best offer. Take it or leave it and we will sign said FA. If you wait around on Cespedes too long while he is playing games in the media, possibly not even intending to sign with the Sox no matter what you will loose out on all the other possible options. Unless you are willing to go for Cespedes and if you dont get him at a great cost you are content with Avi?

Enough with this playing games BS.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
Sounds as though Cespedes is staying locked in on his demands. I hope the Sox have moved on. There are still free agents and plenty of trade opportunities available.

Each day that passes I am thinking that any more improvement will have to be done via the trade route. Was so hoping for Cespedes.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
If I am Hahn I get plan B one step away from signed and tell Cespedes look this is our best offer. Take it or leave it and we will sign said FA. If you wait around on Cespedes too long while he is playing games in the media, possibly not even intending to sign with the Sox no matter what you will loose out on all the other possible options. Unless you are willing to go for Cespedes and if you dont get him at a great cost you are content with Avi?

Enough with this playing games BS.

This is where I am worried...

I've made peace that they aren't going to get one of the top 2 guys, just want them to move on & nab another option before it's too late.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Each day that passes I am thinking that any more improvement will have to be done via the trade route. Was so hoping for Cespedes.

I have had some hope on Cespedes as well but I kept my expectations rather low. Never did see a long term contract at over 20M per year being a realistic option for the Sox. Hahn said he would have to get creative which is why they shopped LaRoche, to clear space in the budget but LaRoche isn't going anywhere due to his 13M '16 salary. It is what it is and time to move on.

I still believe Hahn will get the upgrade(s) to help the outfield.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
I want absolutely nothing to do with Ethier. Absolutely nothing.

I'd rather have Avi in RF next season over him.

What is it about him that you dislike so much? You know, last year he was right at his career stats vs RHP:

AVG .306 OBP .383 SLG .517 OPS .900

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
I'm leaning back toward a trade for Ethier. What do you guess it would take to get him?

Is he still considered an adequate defensive right fielder?

Of course, he has to sit vs the few lefties.

turns 34 in April and due $16 mil for 2016 and due $17.5 mil in 2017. Not so sure if I want him at that salary or age.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
turns 34 in April and due $16 mil for 2016 and due $17.5 mil in 2017. Not so sure if I want him at that salary or age.

I appreciate that, however aren't those the very factors that might make him available, without having to give up much?

The front office doesn't seem to want to commit to more than 3 years, and Frazier and Lawrie are only locked up for 2 years, so Ethier's two year contract would seem to fit.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
Blackmon is actually my new first choice. His defense isnt good. But his offense more than compensates for that deficiency. Plus he doesnt make a whole lot of money.

I know we haven't agreed much lately but I am 100% with you on this. According to fangraphs Blackmon grades positively in RF. I know its wishful thinking but I'm hoping the Sox can trade for Blackmon to play RF and sign Jackson to play CF and slide Eaton LF with Melky at DH.

Hey, one can dream right?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
I like Blackmon, but I think he would be the most expensive out of the 3 Colorado OFers because he's so cheap, more years of control, and has produced more than Dickerson.

I half agree with ya on this. Due to Dickerson's injury concerns with his plantar fasciitis, he would be the cheapest of the three. But I think CarGo brings in a bigger haul than Blackmon due to his left handed power, despite CarGo's salary. CarGo was healthy in '15 and thanks to Heyward's new salary raising the bar, CarGo has surplus value to go with his LH power.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
I half agree with ya on this. Due to Dickerson's injury concerns with his plantar fasciitis, he would be the cheapest of the three. But I think CarGo brings in a bigger haul than Blackmon due to his left handed power, despite CarGo's salary. CarGo was healthy in '15 and thanks to Heyward's new salary raising the bar, CarGo has surplus value to go with his LH power.

I know were you're coming from, but I still disagree. We'll agree to disagree :)

I'm not that worried about how things are going with sox and Cespedes. Doesn't seem to be huge market for him and the other teams that might have interest are either getting other options or looking at other options. I know it's been quiet lately but the Sox haven't seemed to moved on and got somebody else if they know they can't get it done. Remember jerry has been said to be veery aggressive at times and he wants to win if that means spending some money.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)

I definitely don't want to be paying a mid 30's Either 33.5 million bucks over the next couple of years, and he is the exact opposite of the multiple years under cost control, younger player prototype that Han has been talking about. Blackmon and Dickerson do fit that profile, just not sure the Sox have or want to part with the prospects it will probably take. They for sure aren't in a position to beat all other potential bidders in a trade scenario.

If both the Orioles and Tigers are in talks with Colorado, that means Cespedes and Upton may be forced to drop their asking price significantly as potential suitors are dwindling. I bet that three/four year deal the Sox are offering will actually start to look good to them soon.