Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

It seems that if there are 6-7 credible possibilities for Chris Davis, the market for Cespedes and Upton should be just as wide open, especially for American League teams who can rotate at DH as well.

I suppose it also depends for most of those teams how confident they actually are sticking Davis at a corner outfield spot for a year or two (eg. Detroit/Texas).

Then we still don't know exactly how many teams are going to be drawn into a one-year deal for Upton...and how much of this 2 or 3 year/opt-out versus a 5 year guaranteed deal on Cespedes is gumming up the mix.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)
It seems that if there are 6-7 credible possibilities for Chris Davis, the market for Cespedes and Upton should be just as wide open, especially for American League teams who can rotate at DH as well.

I suppose it also depends for most of those teams how confident they actually are sticking Davis at a corner outfield spot for a year or two (eg. Detroit/Texas).

Then we still don't know exactly how many teams are going to be drawn into a one-year deal for Upton...and how much of this 2 or 3 year/opt-out versus a 5 year guaranteed deal on Cespedes is gumming up the mix.

Who the hell are these six to seven credible suitors for Davis?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
The FO made the trade so blame it on the the FO. What differnce is it if it was RH, KW or JR. This was the consensus trade. None of them work by themselves.

Not to mention that we've gotten pretty decent value out of the other pieces in this trade.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/12/will-yoenis-c...eal-he-expects/

“I think it is just a matter of time,” one top decision-maker for a National League team said, on the condition of anonymity. “I don’t see any reason. Solid agent. Solid player.”

Said another high-ranking front-office member of a second NL club: “He is a very good player. There should be a market for him.”

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:48 AM)
What about a 3 or 4 year offer with the 1st 2 years being guaranteed of $20m/$25/$25/$20 with a player opt out after the 2nd year? Does Cespedes, or Upton for that matter, sign that if offered? Would that do it, or would someone beat that offer?

I think this is only type of deal that could work

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Baseball Essential ‏@BB_Essential 16m16 minutes ago

Report: Mets remain in contact with Yoenis Cespedes (@RobertMurrayBBE)

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2016...oenis-cespedes/

The Mets did free up some money when Cuddyer retired. I wouldn't rule them out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Baseball Essential ‏@BB_Essential 16m16 minutes ago

Report: Mets remain in contact with Yoenis Cespedes (@RobertMurrayBBE)

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2016...oenis-cespedes/

From some light reading it seems a lot of Mets fans doubt they would go longer than 2 years.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
From some light reading it seems a lot of Mets fans doubt they would go longer than 2 years.

So Rotoworld is now reporting that the Braves have some interest. Mets still not wanting to go over 2-3 years. When are the Sox going to swoop in and sign Cespedes to the 4 year deal. I thought the Braves were rebuilding and why would they have interest?

Braves, Mets, Tigers, etc all having interest just shows me that there is a ton of interest for him but no one willing to meet his demands... Yet. It's only a matter of time before one of these teams (all with different set prices) finally reach a "selling point" & pull the trigger.

I simply can't see that being the Sox at this point. Not to mention, they are at $120M after arb projections. Not sure I can see them pushing to $140M+ in 2016.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Braves, Mets, Tigers, etc all having interest just shows me that there is a ton of interest for him but no one willing to meet his demands... Yet. It's only a matter of time before one of these teams (all with different set prices) finally reach a "selling point" & pull the trigger.

I simply can't see that being the Sox at this point. Not to mention, they are at $120M after arb projections. Not sure I can see them pushing to $140M+ in 2016.

You are probably right. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
You are probably right. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses.

I think they'll upgrade at in 1 or 2 more spots (OF being 1) but after putting things into perspective, it's simply hard to see them having a competitive offer (even at 4 years), while backloading a deal & possibly throwing in an opt out (trendy new thing to do).

I'm starting to think even a guy like Dexter Fowler may be at the high point of their price range.

I could be completely wrong here but numbers aren't really adding up to look realistic enough for me to see them actually doing something big.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
So Rotoworld is now reporting that the Braves have some interest. Mets still not wanting to go over 2-3 years. When are the Sox going to swoop in and sign Cespedes to the 4 year deal. I thought the Braves were rebuilding and why would they have interest?

Put some fans in the seats and trade him in a year or two without giving up a draft pick now.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
When I really look at it, the Sox would have to buck 2 major trends:

1. Raising their payroll up to an all-time high.

2. Giving a franchise record-breaking contract to a player (much less a guy probably over 30).

Both those things are going to have to happen at some point.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Both those things are going to have to happen at some point.

Both in 1 year, though?

$140M payroll would be about $21M higher than last year. It's just starting to look somewhat unrealistic to expect it.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
So is the waiting game a good thing for us, not to be negative but i feel like normally we would have signed them already. Really want cespedes or at least upton, but im starting to prepare myself for a second tier now.

Everyone has their own theory but mine all along has been the same. The longer they wait, the lower the price. Which is fine but more teams will jump into the race & IMHO, I don't think the Sox are that attractive of a team to be competing for a top FA.

Overall, I don't think it's a good thing. I'll gladly be proven wrong but I've already moved on from Upton as a whole & have little hope for Cespedes. Best case at this point may be either a trade or Fowler.