Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:04 PM)
And for me, the starting pitching depth is terrible outside Sale/Q/Rodon.

I agree with you there as well. However, pretty much all the SP's are gone now as well. In that case, you better score some runs. And to quote somebody else on this board: "Give me Cespedes or give me death!" :)

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:00 PM)
For me, Melky goes to DH and Hahn continues to work on an upgrade in RF. If he can't find that upgrade, then Melky can't do any worse defensively in RF than Avi, and meanwhile, we added last year's LF Gold Glove winner in left AND his bat in the heart of our order. Again, Cespedes is a NO-BRAINER. He makes sense on every level.

Don't let that mislead you. His arm is great. His glove is average at best.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 12:03 AM)
With what resources? They'd already be way over the budget for 2016 with nothing left in the farm outside the big 3.

That upgrade wouldn't be of the magnitude of acquiring one of these two top tier talents. A defense oriented, left handed hitting OF is what we'd need to try and obtain. We have to improve our OF defense, which means we have to make the best efforts to get both Melky and Avi out of there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
Why would they be way over? They are clearing $30 mil

Absolutely, that is why I can't for the life of me understand why they can't and wouldn't get this done. $30M off of the books next year with a weak Outfield class next year to boot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 06:07 AM)
Why would they be way over? They are clearing $30 mil

Is this in comparison to the Forbes article? Thought someone said the MLB execs laugh those off. Not sure to be honest, I don't pay as much attention to that aspect of things as I probably should.

Today at CSN-Chicago the afternoon SportsNet Central show they had a story on the latest regarding Cesdepes.

Dan Hayes reported that he is now "probably out of the Sox price range."

When asked if the Sox could bring anybody else in he said "not unless the price dropped significantly."

He said the Sox could possibly bring in a left handed hitting outfielder who could help more defensively but that's as far as he'd go. He said the Sox would like to see "what Avasil Garcia could do."

Take it for whatever that's worth but it doesn't look promising at this point.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:13 AM)
Today at CSN-Chicago the afternoon SportsNet Central show they had a story on the latest regarding Cesdepes.

When asked if the Sox could bring anybody else in he said "not unless the price dropped significantly."

He said the Sox could possibly bring in a left handed hitting outfielder who could help more defensively but that's as far as he'd go. He said the Sox would like to see "what Avasil Garcia could do."

Mark

Yuck. I said this the other day, but if Hahn goes into this season with Avi in RF and the team struggles, he better be fired after this season along with Ventura.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:13 AM)

Sounds like a job for Will Venable

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)

Mark

Not that I take Hayes word for everything he says but it does fall in line with what others have been saying about the Sox backing off and looking into other possibilities.

Odd that the Sox are looking into a LH outfielder to help out defensively when they have Shuck who plays a good RF and the soon to be new sensation in Fields (:P). Also odd that if they want to see what Avi can do then why the outfielder search? That doesn't make much sense unless they are looking to move LaRoche to the bench, Melky to DH and insert the LH OF into LF? Move Avi to LF and put the LH OF in RF?

Sorry, I'm really just asking these questions out loud. I do appreciate you passing along what Hayes said but his comments raise more questions than they answer.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)

Mark

"See what Avasil Garcia can do?" But...But...I thought we were looking to compete and put ourselves in the best position possible to compete for a Championship? In all honesty...if they don't and couldn't add that final piece this year, it is and was time to just tear it down. The White Sox give me blue balls.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 12:13 AM)

Mark

So for our fan base to ever hope to acquire top tier talent via free agent, we have to hope the price of said talent has to fall below market value so as to "fall" to a price that the current ownership is willing to pay? The same ownership who has never given a contract for a higher value than the small market Royals have done not once but twice this winter? I mean, wow. What is going on here.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)
So for our fan base to ever hope to acquire top tier talent via free agent, we have to hope the price of said talent has to fall below market value so as to "fall" to a price that the current ownership is willing to pay? The same ownership who has never given a contract for a higher value than the small market Royals have done not once but twice this winter? I mean, wow. What is going on here.

Yep. Completely ridiculous and disheartening. This sums it up PERFECTLY. And I mean P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
Yuck. I said this the other day, but if Hahn goes into this season with Avi in RF and the team struggles, he better be fired after this season along with Ventura.

Agree 100%. Going into the 2016 season with Avi as your starting RF, after passing on potential hauls for your SPs and then trading three pretty good prospects for a 2 year rental, would prove KW & Hahn went for the Hail Mary instead of having a sound offseason plan. I still can't believe they could be that stupid, so I will retain my optimism until proven otherwise.