Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
I like merkin. He came out with an article on Todd Frazier the guy a couple days before the trade. I pay attention to him some. Hayes is a boob.

...I like boobs, let's not insult them like that.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Exactly, nothing against the Sox beat writers but they aren't exactly top notch, especially when it comes to the rumor mill.

Eh. As long as you realize that Sox writers know that if they piss of the team, they lose their source at inside access, you know what is going on. The local writers are better for the day to day stuff, but because of the nature of the team, they are never going to be the ones to break a big story, especially if it is in the rumor stage. That is why breaking news and controversial stuff comes from out of town.

raBBit notes that Cespedes is rumored to be looking for a 6/100M contract. If true it shows how much the prices have come down since Cespedes was rumored to be looking for 6/140-150M. The 6/100M could be why the Sox are in talks with Cespedes. For that price or close to it, I'll climb aboard the Cespedes train.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Eh. As long as you realize that Sox writers know that if they piss of the team, they lose their source at inside access, you know what is going on. The local writers are better for the day to day stuff, but because of the nature of the team, they are never going to be the ones to break a big story, especially if it is in the rumor stage. That is why breaking news and controversial stuff comes from out of town.

It may be different than it is in football but most orgs don't really control the info that is getting to the writers. Or at least for the most part, outside of purposeful leaks.

Merkin may be a bit different but guys like Hayes, etc are not getting paid by the Sox, they are getting paid by a news outlet. The better info the news outlet gets, the more attention they get.

May be different in baseball but I can tell you from experience that most NFL guys have a "leak" within the org & it's a constant battle to get that info & not get shut down doing it.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
raBBit notes that Cespedes is rumored to be looking for a 6/100M contract. If true it shows how much the prices have come down since Cespedes was rumored to be looking for 6/140-150M. The 6/100M could be why the Sox are in talks with Cespedes. For that price or close to it, I'll climb aboard the Cespedes train.

I'm down. Sign me up

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
It may be different than it is in football but most orgs don't really control the info that is getting to the writers. Or at least for the most part, outside of purposeful leaks.

Merkin may be a bit different but guys like Hayes, etc are not getting paid by the Sox, they are getting paid by a news outlet. The better info the news outlet gets, the more attention they get.

May be different in baseball but I can tell you from experience that most NFL guys have a "leak" within the org & it's a constant battle to get that info & not get shut down doing it.

They might be getting paid by a news outlet, but they know if they burn the bridge with the team, the team won't give them access to anything anymore. That is how they get player/manager/executive interviews. With about 200 days worth of a baseball season to fill, they need those pieces. The national guys have no such need.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)

I agree. 6/100 puts the Sox solidly in the mix for Cespedes. Nice to have more than the Gordon option out there if those #'s are true.