Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
But, just for the guys the White Sox have under contract right now, $9.75 million of that is eaten up in salary increases. That doesn't count increases to Lawrie, Frazier, Putnam, Petricka, Garcia, and Jennings (if the latter ones are kept) who are arb-eligible, or any opt-out related increase for ABreu. About 1/2 of that $28 mil is therefore already spoken for.

then they have 14 mil.... which if this team is penny pinching should make them happy.

but on the other hand, fixing the remaining problems could add additional money to the coffer of the sox.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:46 AM)
Nothing of quality to offer up, just the usual weak attempt to deflect any criticism of the crack management team of the Sox? Well color me SHOCKED! So unlike you.

i really got to admit, this is really funny.

nice.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:07 AM)
There's gotta be a creative way to make a deal happen. Whether it's a signing bonus, a 5th or 6th year option worth around 7.5-10 mill, deferrals, a combo of all 3, we need to do something.

Signing bonus is the last thing they can afford if they're worried about negative cash flow this season...

If anything, it would have to be with deferred money like the Chris Davis deal.

The only time that has happened was with Konerko in recent history...although Buehrle was willing to do that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:52 AM)
Then why would they keep putting "band-aids" on the core instead of prioritizing players with 4-6 years of control?

It's like we keep punting the football hoping to buy time for the minor leagues to start producing more impact players...but, in the meantime, how are we going to replace Frazier, catcher, SS, potentially 2B, DH and another two outfield spots all from inside the organization?

Anderson, clearly, is the plan for SS.

But if we can't afford the prices now on the FA market, you can't assume Frazier will sign a team-friendly contract any more than you could have assumed it about Shark (and that would have been ANOTHER huge disaster had a long-term extension been signed in late July).

Trey M., Anderson, mystery at catcher (no real strong possibilities in the pipeline even for 2018), Engel and May?

Lots of things can change and WILL change in two year's time. Obviously, as Avi's the longest tenured player on the current roster.

That said, it's hard to project ANYONE but Anderson and maybe Trey as major league regulars at this point in time.

Because there wasn't much available for 3B and 2B upgrades so Frazier and Lawrie were acquired. Would it have been better to stick with Saladino at 3B, Sanchez at 2B and Alexei at SS? No and can you imagine the amount of complaining that would be going on if they had? Imo, I was fine with Sanchez at 2B but it was time to move on at SS and we all know the Sox desperately needed a 3B. The only realistic alternative for 3B was to sign Freese....

As for Frazier and a potential extension. Frazier is more possible since he has not come out and insisted he is going to free agency no matter what, Samardzija did. All I'm saying is that the possibility exists but I'm not counting on it. In fact, if I remember my words correctly, I have said that it's possible the Sox could extend Lawrie and/or Frazier if they like where they play and the Sox like what they get from those players. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen.

As for Engel and Trey, they are too far out to count on or when they potentially project, if ever, into the Sox lineup. Neither have played above A ball yet so its not fair to the players to place any kind of time table on them.

May. Unless the Sox find an alternative to Melky in LF, I think May could replace Melky in LF either in '17 with Melky going to DH or '18 after Melky is gone. Hard to say right now until we see what May can do at AAA this year.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
If they compete I can't imagine the Sox won't draw... if they suck again well then I can see it.

That's true regardless of any FA signing or trade, but having Cespedes allows us a much better chance of competing; especially early in the season when the Sox wet themselves.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
I'd rather have a bad record for 5 years and get better internally than win 81 games for 3-4 years. As far as I'm concerned, there should be no middle ground. Either we're trying to win the division or we should be rebuilding. Not trying to be .500.

At least that way, the fans know that the team is going to be bad. Then the front office can stop selling false hope disguised as a baseball team.

Personally, I think committing to a rebuild is the right thing to do. If you look around the league at the teams that have done that lately, they have themselves in a position to stay competitive for years to come.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
There's gotta be a creative way to make a deal happen. Whether it's a signing bonus, a 5th or 6th year option worth around 7.5-10 mill, deferrals, a combo of all 3, we need to do something.

this sounds as of a desperation move, i am with any who say nothing over 4 yrs. again money is money and the sox do have it, but wasting it on a 6 yr contract, imo is a waste. 4 yrs, and this still will give the club room to maneuver.

or go the cf route in fa's or worst case trade and some of the key prospect will need to be moved.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
If they compete I can't imagine the Sox won't draw... if they suck again well then I can see it.

i can and it is all in the degrees of winning..... if the team is assembled and it looks as a solid team, the sox start to win, the fans will come out. that bullpen is great, hopefully EJ will do good, it was become even better.

the winning is contagious and fans will come out.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
Personally, I think committing to a rebuild is the right thing to do. If you look around the league at the teams that have done that lately, they have themselves in a position to stay competitive for years to come.

I'm not in complete disagreement with you, but I think it's a little too late for that after the Frazier/Lawrie trades, which gave us the impression that we are going for it. We started the process and it's not finished. We can either finish it by signing Cespedes, not finish it and have a mediocre 78-84 win season, or go all out and trade Sale/Quintana/Abreu/everyone fast. I don't know if the latter is possible.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:20 AM)
then they have 14 mil.... which if this team is penny pinching should make them happy.

but on the other hand, fixing the remaining problems could add additional money to the coffer of the sox.

Problem is that the left over 14M gets a team players like Melky/Fowler , not Cespedes/Upton.

Just a general comment to the board: As for the ideas of back loaded escalating contracts or deferred money contracts. They are nice ideas but the signing player has to agree to it and not just the team. We have no idea if Cespedes would be interested in those types of contracts .

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
At least that way, the fans know that the team is going to be bad. Then the front office can stop selling false hope disguised as a baseball team.

While I sort of agree with the rebuilding, this is Jerry we're talking about. The Sox are not going through a rebuild until Jerry is gone.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Because there wasn't much available for 3B and 2B upgrades so Frazier and Lawrie were acquired. Would it have been better to stick with Saladino at 3B, Sanchez at 2B and Alexei at SS? No and can you imagine the amount of complaining that would be going on if they had? Imo, I was fine with Sanchez at 2B but it was time to move on at SS and we all know the Sox desperately needed a 3B. The only realistic alternative for 3B was to sign Freese....

As for Frazier and a potential extension. Frazier is more possible since he has not come out and insisted he is going to free agency no matter what, Samardzija did. All I'm saying is that the possibility exists but I'm not counting on it. In fact, if I remember my words correctly, I have said that it's possible the Sox could extend Lawrie and/or Frazier if they like where they play and the Sox like what they get from those players. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen.

As for Engel and Trey, they are too far out to count on or when they potentially project, if ever, into the Sox lineup. Neither have played above A ball yet so its not fair to the players to place any kind of time table on them.

May. Unless the Sox find an alternative to Melky in LF, I think May could replace Melky in LF either in '17 with Melky going to DH or '18 after Melky is gone. Hard to say right now until we see what May can do at AAA this year.

excellent and thorough in your reasong

QUOTE (Special K @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
I'd rather have a bad record for 5 years and get better internally than win 81 games for 3-4 years. As far as I'm concerned, there should be no middle ground. Either we're trying to win the division or we should be rebuilding. Not trying to be .500.

you make a point, my only response is, the sox stumble onto a group, a core of excellent players that now, they are forced to jump start that clock. thereby making this as a win - win situation ... the win now is now the theme.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)

a great statement in the bold.

but guess what...... the FO has been doing that since they brought the team.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
you make a point, my only response is, the sox stumble onto a group, a core of excellent players that now, they are forced to jump start that clock. thereby making this as a win - win situation ... the win now is now the theme.

But if they are going to do it, they need to do it all the way. Having a core of excellent players surrounded by mediocrity isn't "win now". It's just foolish posturing.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
But if they are going to do it, they need to do it all the way. Having a core of excellent players surrounded by mediocrity isn't "win now". It's just foolish posturing.

and therein lies the problem. we as fans can see that..... we as fans been saying that for yrs..... but the higher ups in the FO think differently..... money