Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
So I'm just catching up to this thread, but given the Upton signing (money & years), does anyone realistically think the Sox are going to offer 20+M for Cespedes and does anyone actually think the market doesn't indicate he'll get that?

I'd say he'll without get the 20+M - not likely from us IMO. The signings for Davis and Upton coupled with with the reported interest of "10 teams" -- someone will go there and it sucks but very unlikely to be the Sox.

Yes, there's a lot of smoke abound but in the end... The market is finally running its course... Leading to favor him cashing out bigger than we had hopes of at times.

Ogga booga

The 3 players vs. 1 player is the better move for the team overall, but how much would they all cost?

Jackson is probably at least $8 million a year, Pearce is 6-7, and Fister is probably close to 10. That's nearly $25 million, and it might be a conservative estimate. Even substituting Raburn in for Pearce doesn't lower the overall total that much.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
and you have a point, yr 15, was not too good, maybe b/c of injury.... who knows, but he has been really good.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/linceti01.shtml

Neither was 2014,2013 or 2012. Last time he was good, Ozzie was managing the White Sox, Buerhle and Paulie were still good, and Adam Dunn was historically bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:23 PM)
Neither was 2014,2013 or 2012. Last time he was good, Ozzie was managing the White Sox, Buerhle and Paulie were still good, and Adam Dunn was historically bad.

ok you have a point but let me add this.

anytime a pitcher gets 10 wins oops i made a mistake. is a record. at least for me,.

and this is coming into a rehab

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
Offer him 4 years with mutual 5th year option.

$10.5M

$20.5M

$21.5M

$22.5M

Option year $23.5M or $5M buyout if player exercises option but club declines.

no offense, but i think they will say no, b/c of the first yr salary.

i can live with, if it is to be cesp.

1, 24

2. 24

mutual option,

3. 20

4. 18

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Offer him 4 years with mutual 5th year option.

$10.5M

$20.5M

$21.5M

$22.5M

Option year $23.5M or $5M buyout if player exercises option but club declines.

Why would he get less in AAV than Upton? If I were him, I'd expecting just as much. This is a significant reduction from what Upton got. I think for 4 yrs 90-100M you have a shot at getting him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
isn't that all about being a fan.... dreaming on the "what if"

There comes a time when the fan has to become realistic. I think we have reached that time, at least I have.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
If he went to the Angels on a 6 year deal or the Mets on a 1-2 year deal, can we really be upset about it though? If he stays in New York it's because he wants to be in New York. If he happens to get a 6 year deal, the Sox were never entertaining a 6 year deal anyway. Oh wait nevermind. Of course this fanbase will be mad.

Lol, yes they will be mad. Agree with your points. If Cespedes wants to be in NY or gets his 6 year deal from the Angels then its no fault of the FO.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
There comes a time when the fan has to become realistic. I think we have reached that time, at least I have.

ahhh then you are talking about those who post on forum and msg boards.

i still love the time of being a youngsters and discussion the what if....

but the bottom line you are correct.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)

No he's not, because until Cespedes is signed, there is still hope he signs with the Sox.

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 2m2 minutes ago

David O'Brien Retweeted Ken Rosenthal

Braves could've moved Olivera to 3B to make this work. Am told don't want to trade Markakis. David O'Brien added,

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

#Braves talked to Justin Upton's camp about reunion. Story:... http://fb.me/4hSmyad40

https://twitter.com/DOBrienAJC

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)

I did a lot of dreaming and wishing for a Cespedes signing just like you. I still hope there might be a surprise but, I have this empty feeling. I'm still a Sox fan, though!!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Lol, yes they will be mad. Agree with your points. If Cespedes wants to be in NY or gets his 6 year deal from the Angels then its no fault of the FO.

If the white sox weren't willing to pony up for what it takes for this roster to be competitive in the next 2 years then why did they trade for 2 different guys who are free agents in 2 years?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Why would he get less in AAV than Upton? If I were him, I'd expecting just as much. This is a significant reduction from what Upton got. I think for 4 yrs 90-100M you have a shot at getting him.

Upton is the better player and is 2 years younger

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
I did a lot of dreaming and wishing for a Cespedes signing just like you. I still hope there might be a surprise but, I have this empty feeling. I'm still a Sox fan, though!!

same here. there is no other team for me and there is no other forum except this one.

but like you, i am getting antsy on waiting.