Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
They might be getting paid by a news outlet, but they know if they burn the bridge with the team, the team won't give them access to anything anymore. That is how they get player/manager/executive interviews. With about 200 days worth of a baseball season to fill, they need those pieces. The national guys have no such need.

Media policies must be different then. Part of why professional sports have become so big is because of the media & their outlets. They are the gateway to the players/FO for fans.

Can only speak for the NFL side of things, though. Trust me, I've pissed off some people at Halas Hall & was still able to have full access at camp.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
raBBit notes that Cespedes is rumored to be looking for a 6/100M contract. If true it shows how much the prices have come down since Cespedes was rumored to be looking for 6/140-150M. The 6/100M could be why the Sox are in talks with Cespedes. For that price or close to it, I'll climb aboard the Cespedes train.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
That's not a report from me but a report from New York.

Wonder if Cespedes could be had at 5 years and 90 million

With all these non-big-name people with "sources" that you see on Twitter/message boards, I pretty much do not buy any of it. You have to ask yourself what purpose would it serve for someone who is on the inside of the knowledge (agent, team, etc.) to feed such information. If you cannot easily answer that question, then you should be extremely skeptical of any "sources." No offense to bucket or rabbit, but why would anyone give these guys inside info for no apparent benefit? Seems fishy.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Media policies must be different then. Part of why professional sports have become so big is because of the media & their outlets. They are the gateway to the players/FO for fans.

Can only speak for the NFL side of things, though. Trust me, I've pissed off some people at Halas Hall & was still able to have full access at camp.

Anyone with credentials can get into the post game news conference. The difference is when Jerry wants to talk, it won't be to a guy like Joe Cowley, or the Score. He'll go to someone like Merkin or Hayes that doesn't kick the team in the nuts.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
With all these non-big-name people with "sources" that you see on Twitter/message boards, I pretty much do not buy any of it. You have to ask yourself what purpose would it serve for someone who is on the inside of the knowledge (agent, team, etc.) to feed such information. If you cannot easily answer that question, then you should be extremely skeptical of any "sources." No offense to bucket or rabbit, but why would anyone give these guys inside info for no apparent benefit? Seems fishy.

Well Rosenthal said on MLB Network this morning that he expects the Sox to sign Gordon or Cespedes.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)

I don't think you understand the randomness of how the source game can be.

Why did Robert Murray or Chris Cotillo get sources at age 15-16? There's no rhyme or reason behind it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
That's not a report from me but a report from New York.

Rabbit I have to give you props man. You have been right on for the past few weeks and really this whole offseason. You said mainstream rumors would be picking up early this week... And look. Just wanted to say thank you were lucky to have a member who has an inside track into the thinking and direction of the FO. Regardless of what happens with these players it's clear you know what you're talking about. Thanks again bud.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)

It works two ways. A lot of information from insiders is totally made up in a way that they hope if it gets out will be beneficial to the team. Rabbit doesn't have 2 million followers, and isn't trying to be the next Ken Rosenthal, so you have to figure he isn't making stuff up. You make enough up that makes sense, something is bound to come true, and you get your props for being first. And he doesn't have the following on Twitter or Soxtalk that it could make a difference by him getting fed misinformation. So his source isn't going to be playing games with him.Teams and agents use these guys to their advantage all the time. Heyman is Boras' puppet.

I have a friend of a friend who is a great source, however, I don't have much access. 10 years ago, I found out KW's target was Tim Hudson of Oakland. I was so excited, I put it on this site. 20 minutes later, Hudson gets traded to Atlanta. I got torched as a phony. There was a poster named steff who supposedly had inside connections and she blasted my post as total BS , the Sox would never deal with Oakland because of Moneyball...I was vindicated when KW said no one tried harder to acquire one of the then Big 3 than him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm down. Sign me up

All aboard! :D

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
I agree. 6/100 puts the Sox solidly in the mix for Cespedes. Nice to have more than the Gordon option out there if those #'s are true.

The more options the better. It's definitely a buyers market with the surplus of outfield options available.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Wonder if Cespedes could be had at 5 years and 90 million

Not sure but I kinda doubt it if the Angels and Giants are seriously in on Cespedes. I'd guess if the Sox, Angels and Giants are competing with one another it could bring the price up to some degree.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
You can doubt it all you want. No ones going to claim to be right 100% of the time but in the day and age of the Internet, if you say something, you have a time stamp behind it. That's all that matters in hindsight.

This doesn't really follow logically. Anyone can make up as many random deals or free agent signings they want and tweet them. And if they happen to hit on one, then they're somehow a trusted source?

I'll do one right now. White Sox to sign Cespedes. Timestamp.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
It works two ways. A lot of information from insiders is totally made up in a way that they hope if it gets out will be beneficial to the team. Rabbit doesn't have 2 million followers, and isn't trying to be the next Ken Rosenthal, so you have to figure he isn't making stuff up. You make enough up that makes sense, something is bound to come true, and you get your props for being first. And he doesn't have the following on Twitter or Soxtalk that it could make a difference by him getting fed misinformation. Teams and agents use these guys to their advantage all the time. Heyman is Boras' puppet.

I have a friend of a friend who is a great source, however, I don't have much access. 10 years ago, I found out KW's target was Tim Hudson of Oakland. I was so excited, I put it on this site. 20 minutes later, Hudson gets traded to Atlanta. I got torched as a phony. There was a poster named steff who supposedly had inside connections and she blasted my post as total BS , the Sox would never deal with Oakland because of Moneyball...I was vindicated when KW said no one tried harder to acquire one of the then Big 3 than him.

Thats why you got to say what source it's from or if you can't say exactly who then just say info is from a source. Saying it that way tries to protect your credibility and can say well the source was wrong. If you notice alot of the bigger writers state source or other outlets to cover their butts.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
@ckamka If the White Sox were to get Cespedes, at least Quintana wouldn't have to face him... 9-15, 2 doubles, triple, 4 HR, BB, 0 strikeouts

That's why I hope if the Sox don't get Cespedes that he doesn't go back to Detroit (aside from the obvious they're a division rival reason).

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
This doesn't really follow logically. Anyone can make up as many random deals or free agent signings they want and tweet them. And if they happen to hit on one, then they're somehow a trusted source?

Not sure you understand logic.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)

I wish I was on Twitter when I said the Sox would sign Avila. An educated guess could have made all the sites give me credit for being the first to "report". Too much of rabbits stuff has actually come true for him to be making things up. It is pretty obvious his source is solid.

One thing I'll say about RH, regardless of the results this past season and whatever happens to this team in '16. RH gives the fan base excitement. Just look at this board the past week gushing about the possibility of adding one of the big three. Before that we were debating the benefits for Frazier. If nothing else, RH gives us a reason to stay interested all year about our beloved. Between the signings and trades last winter and the excitement this winter I'm glad and proud to be a Sox fan.

Now we just need the players the FO has assembled to reward their hard work for once and put up some W's. I really hope we land either Gordon or Cespedes, maybe sign/trade for a RHP, resign Alexi, have a really solid spring training. And most importantly start '16 hot right out of the gates. I want us to be good from the start so we fill those stands so we can show our appreciation to RH, KW, and Uncle Jerry for going for it. Because if we sign one of these guys there are taking a huge risk and it'd be nice to see it pay off.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Thats why you got to say what source it's from or if you can't say exactly who then just say info is from a source. Saying it that way tries to protect your credibility and can say well the source was wrong. If you notice alot of the bigger writers state source or other outlets to cover their butts.

I did say I had a source, and it would be a name everyone here would recognize. It wasn't direct. It was through a friend of his.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
I wish I was on Twitter when I said the Sox would sign Avila. An educated guess could have made all the sites give me credit for being the first to "report". Too much of rabbits stuff has actually come true for him to be making things up. It is pretty obvious his source is solid.

Rabbit is absolutely legit. He's not throwing s*** at the wall in hopes of it sticking. He drops info tidbits and all accurate.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)

This is not true, rosenthal, nightengale, heyman dont name who their sources are. If anyone starts naming their sources, then they dont have sources anymore.