Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
He is also on a quick moving path.

So? I like Trey a lot. I think the progress he made last year was great for his age.

But what % of certainty would you put to Trey M. being on an MLB roster in his career?

What % certainty would you put to him being a starter?

What % would you put to him being above average starter?

Our minors are improved, but they are still relying on every top prospect to hit. And if they are planning two years from now to just give to Trey M., that is really really presumptuous and risky.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
And they said Micah was the starting 2b on a team supposed to compete for the AL Central in 2015, then shipped him away and you've spent weeks telling me how the White Sox didn't give up much when they gave him up.

The idea that we're projecting a 3b who hasn't even seen AA yet with so far a .720 OPS in his minor league career as a key cog in the team the last 2 years before Sale and Abreu hit free agency is ludicrous.

So the fact that they turned Johnson + into a 35 homer 3B is meaningless? It also goes a long way towards establishing that even if Mich isn't a future MLB 3B, the Sox can be creative in finding someone to play that position in 2018, to the point where there is always the very large chance that our future 3B isn't in the organization today.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
Do you follow Sox fans on twitter? It's just a terrible place right now.

Yeaaa, so what!!! Some Sox fans eat, sleep and drink White Sox! It's a big part of their life!! It's their team!! To many it is a terrible place right now!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
The kid is 19/20 in high-A, I wouldn't make any decisions based on that assumption.

They need to base all of their decisions on what is going on in the minors. He may not make it and all prospects are suspects until they reach the MLB. However, unless the payroll projects to 200 million, they will need to reply on the minors and project when to give the players a chance.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
Doesn't adding Frazier and Lawrie make this team better and more competitive over the next two years? Should the Sox have stuck with what they had last year and watch attendance continue to fall due to the same old s*** on the field?

Cespedes isn't the only player capable of upgrading Avi/Melky.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you one of the fans that said relying on the free agent market to build a team is not the best way of building a team? A sentiment that I do agree with you on. Again, if I'm wrong please correct me on it.

yes, the FA market is a terrible way to build a team, and yes, Frazier and Lawrie are upgrades over what they had last year, but a team that needs everything to go right to challenge for the 2nd wild card and is much more likely to be at the bottom of the division again "IS" the same old s*** on the field.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
when the sox signed dunn, the sox lost a draft pick.

The question was whether you thought he was a good hitter. It has nothing to do with compensation or what the contract details were

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
here is something to help you...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/2015.shtml

here is something to help you...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alvarpe01.shtml

career .236/.309/.441 that is good for anywhere from 130-180 strikeouts in a full season.

Again, did you think Adam Dunn was a good hitter?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
And they said Micah was the starting 2b on a team supposed to compete for the AL Central in 2015, then shipped him away and you've spent weeks telling me how the White Sox didn't give up much when they gave him up.

The idea that we're projecting a 3b who hasn't even seen AA yet with so far a .720 OPS in his minor league career as a key cog in the team the last 2 years before Sale and Abreu hit free agency is ludicrous.

Right. so they traded the prospect who they felt wasn't going to work out for a player they felt would at the MLB level. They need to plan on when these players will get a chance at the MLB level. They gave Johnson his shot. He did not take advantage of it and they felt the need to move on. This is what will happen when Trey M. is ready.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:27 PM)
The question was whether you thought he was a good hitter. It has nothing to do with compensation or what the contract details were

in that case my bad i was wrong.

let me revisit your org question, i wold not be able to really think of that b/c of the draft pick being associated.

now, did i think he was a good hitter, no, did i like the move.... not really, b/c of the lost of the draft pick

but lets look at that era when org wanted hitter who can hit hrs and did not care about the other stats. that was the era.....

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)
Here's something to help you

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=3B

A 0.2 player in the last 2 years.

again lets look at this, this way..... my statement was

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:22 PM) *

ok you caught my attention. what is sooo funny...

is he not a very good hitter????

No, he's not.

we .... are ..... talking ..... about ..... hitting.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
They need to base all of their decisions on what is going on in the minors. He may not make it and all prospects are suspects until they reach the MLB. However, unless the payroll projects to 200 million, they will need to reply on the minors and project when to give the players a chance.

If they based all of their decisions on what was going on in the minors and also did not want to have a high payroll, we would be looking at an organization that valued acquiring top-level prospects and cost-controlled players. That is not how the white sox front office is operating. Case in point, those making the argument that Fowler is attractive to management because we would not have to pay another 1st round comp.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
yes, the FA market is a terrible way to build a team, and yes, Frazier and Lawrie are upgrades over what they had last year, but a team that needs everything to go right to challenge for the 2nd wild card and is much more likely to be at the bottom of the division again "IS" the same old s*** on the field.

But they did it this time with a look at the future. I agree the possibility of the playoffs this year is slim as it stands. However, they have no albatross contracts and kept all of the possible impact prospects. The team improve and have a slim possiblity of playoffs and protected the future. If they continue to do this it will lead to better chance of sustained success as opposed to loading the team with unmanageable contracts.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Have seen a few people today on twitter that have said the Sox have called them asking them if they are going to games this year. Most have never even be to a Sox game & are Cubs fans. Seems weird to me.

Are the Sox having a "Cub night" at the Cell this year?

What's funny to me is that some are so focused on the gloom and doom of possibly not signing Cespedes that they forget the Sox got a huge upgrade at 3B and big upgrades at 2B/C. Plus they are still actively searching for an upgrade in the outfield so hope is not lost yet.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
again lets look at this, this way..... my statement was

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:22 PM) *

ok you caught my attention. what is sooo funny...

is he not a very good hitter????

No, he's not.

we .... are ..... talking ..... about ..... hitting.

Yes, he's nothing. He's not a good player at all. Low average. Low on base. High strike out. Terrible defensively. He's not a good baseball player.