Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
I agree that haven't done well. I think it started last year. Previous to that I think it was a "win now" each year. I think it shifted last year. I'm never expecting all of the minor leaguers to work out. As a matter of fact, I'm expecting most won't. However, if you keep adding at least 2-3 each year some will work out and then they will begin to form a pipeline and be more consistent. It won't happen for a few years. However, good trades as they've done this year and short term FA deals as they did last year will help to improve the team as this happens. I have nothing against the FAs or even signing Cespedes, as long as they are short deals. Save the long deals for their own players, the ones they know. You knows I may be wrong and they find they really like Frazier and he wants to stay.

you really make a good point. i think it is a must to sign Frazier and even lawrie to an extension.... so they can bridge the infield until the sox have prospects to take over.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Both Cespedes AND Desmond

this is a pipe dream and i know it.

but if the sox does sign them, yeah i can see the sox being a playoff contender. why not. the only hole will be ..... the DJ and the manager.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
I agree that haven't done well. I think it started last year. Previous to that I think it was a "win now" each year. I think it shifted last year. I'm never expecting all of the minor leaguers to work out. As a matter of fact, I'm expecting most won't. However, if you keep adding at least 2-3 each year some will work out and then they will begin to form a pipeline and be more consistent. It won't happen for a few years. However, good trades as they've done this year and short term FA deals as they did last year will help to improve the team as this happens. I have nothing against the FAs or even signing Cespedes, as long as they are short deals. Save the long deals for their own players, the ones they know. You knows I may be wrong and they find they really like Frazier and he wants to stay.

I don't disagree with any of this, and I do think lots of improvements have been made. I do think scouting is better. I am intrigued by Steverson's role as hitting coordinator on lower levels we are hearing about. I am excited for Marco Paddy's returns.

But these two things are driving me nuts:

- That we are middling in our team strategy for only incremental progress at the ML level, and never cashing in on excellent value if it means temporary regression

- Not spending on international FA

There are these great value areas where sox are not looking at because they think "rebuilding" will kill attendance (its dead), and its preventing a period of rapid improvement when that value hits.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
I still think we need a RHP starter. If we sign Cespedes, who is worth a shot? I know we aren't in on a guy like Gallardo. What's left out there? I predicted Fister awhile ago.

me too. but i will not mention it until later.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/resetting-t...oenis-cespedes/

Article about all the remaining candidates and their likelihood. Strangely, he puts Baltimore as the current favorites, followed by the Mets. Says we're a second-tier candidate along with the Angels and Giants, and calls the Astros an intriguing dark-horse. Hard to believe the Giants and Orioles would still be possibilities.

He also says that Detroit is all in at this point and need a DH. Apparently Victor is just retiring?

for no one .... and everyone.

someone made a great post on the attendance..... i think the sox has ..... go in, b/c of the attendance.

the side south are in a war, whether anyone wants to think about it or not, they will be in a war for media attention, for fans attending, the commercial revenue and many other things, esp with the cable ratings and money from that venue.

so in essence, they need to continue. the northside has done a great job but they are limited, the sox are only limited but the FO shortsightedness.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
Fister, Latos, Lincecum, Cliff Lee with a wing and a prayer based on his elbow

Gallardo looking for $15-17.5 million per year for 5 years. And the draft pick is lost.

i am tooo confuse just concertinaing on will he or will he not to think beyond that. :headbang

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
I re-upped my modest package after Frazier. This time, I'm just going to give away april/may tickets. God I hate going to games then.

if you owned a business... a good tax write off to give them to your clients or customers.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Cespedes would be cool and the power bat would be nice, but I'm starting to lean more towards the sign Desmond and then go after Ajax camp..

I'd be happy with this, though, the main reason i like cespedes is he is an addition that does not compromise defense like Desmond does.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
That's what Desmond potentially brings...or he plays SS and Anderson ends up in CF or LF potentially.

But it's the kind of thing that would probably require a full offseason of preparation. For now, he's a SS.

Desmond is much worse defensively at SS than Anderson.