Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:57 AM)
Who? Because I don't agree with that. The sox have been long rumored for Cespedes. It'll be a letdown if we don't get him and sign someone like Fowler.

let down yeah i agree. but what if he is still insisting on a 6 yr contract and at 25 mil a yr....

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:57 AM)
Who? Because I don't agree with that. The sox have been long rumored for Cespedes. It'll be a letdown if we don't get him and sign someone like Fowler.

Big difference between speculated interest and actual interest. Coming into the offseason, no one would have thought the Sox would go after someone at 22-25 per

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:08 PM)
Big difference between speculated interest and actual interest. Coming into the offseason, no one would have thought the Sox would go after someone at 22-25 per

Exactly. Too many fans bought into the media hype, especially the local media. All do respect to Chuck Garfien ( I kinda like the guy) but this thread was started due to a tweet from him. ;)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:08 PM)

We were interested at the trade deadline and all of the national media guys are reporting our interest. So I'll take Ken Rosenthal and Heyman at their word.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:13 AM)
We were interested at the trade deadline and all of the national media guys are reporting our interest. So I'll take Ken Rosenthal and Heyman at their word.

Sure at shorter years and a discount. Same as about ten teams.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 01:12 AM)
Exactly. Too many fans bought into the media hype, especially the local media. All do respect to Chuck Garfien ( I kinda like the guy) but this thread was started due to a tweet from him. ;)

but i am actually wondering how many were from cespy group. enuf for hou to come out and say those rumors were wrong, or something like that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
but i am actually wondering how many were from cespy group. enuf for hou to come out and say those rumors were wrong, or something like that.

I doubt the local media was directly swayed by the Cespedes camp, just the usual stuff we see and hear from the local media every off season.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
He tweeted this earlier:

‏@JustinLevineVAV 25m25 minutes ago

DEVELOPING: Washington @Nationals aggressively pursuing free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes. Stay tuned for more!

Great. Another pimple faced "insider".

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)

Not sure which is scarier. The idea of signing Desmond or the pic of Demi Moore at the bottom of that page. Maybe signing Desmond doesnt look so bad after all. :lol:

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
Not sure which is scarier. The idea of signing Desmond or the pic of Demi Moore at the bottom of that page. Maybe signing Desmond doesnt look so bad after all. :lol:

I'm totally for Desmond on a one year deal with an addition of Jackson as well.

Either that or Cespedes.... The total production between those two options is about equal I'd say when factoring in their respective current replacement options.

Total contract value for the year would be about the same I suspect as well.

Cespedes, between 22 and 25 million.

Desmond ( 12 to 15 ) and Jackson ( 8 to 10 ).

Just pulling notpoop out of my notbutt.

Edited by hi8is

Don't forget "Rick Hahn is the greatest poker player since...."

As good as the Lawrie and Frazier deals still look (on paper), it's still curious why you would make those moves if you knew you were limited on the payroll side.

Hopefully it wasn't all predicated on being able to move Adam LaRoche (to free up roughly $5-6 million), because that would be a sad state of affairs indeed. All we heard last year was that none of the players we gave up and none of the contracts we signed would have that much of an impact on the overall direction of the franchise. Well, clearly, that was not the case.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
Don't forget "Rick Hahn is the greatest poker player since...."

As good as the Lawrie and Frazier deals still look (on paper), it's still curious why you would make those moves if you knew you were limited on the payroll side.

Hopefully it wasn't all predicated on being able to move Adam LaRoche (to free up roughly $5-6 million), because that would be a sad state of affairs indeed. All we heard last year was that none of the players we gave up and none of the contracts we signed would have that much of an impact on the overall direction of the franchise. Well, clearly, that was not the case.

Thumbs up!!