Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
I'm totally for Desmond on a one year deal with an addition of Jackson as well.

Either that or Cespedes.... The total production between those two options is about equal I'd say when factoring in their respective current replacement options.

Total contract value for the year would be about the same I suspect as well.

Cespedes, between 22 and 25 million.

Desmond ( 12 to 15 ) and Jackson ( 8 to 10 ).

Just pulling notpoop out of my notbutt.

Desmond baffles me. His defensive numbers are'nt that great and yet he's supposedly known for his defense so am I missing something here? His offensive regression concerns me too but he might be one of those " change of scenery" players and might benefit a move to the Sox? Like I said, I'm kind of baffled by him and find myself riding the fence like I do with Fowler.

I see where you're coming from though. For the same money as Cespedes, the Sox could potentially upgrade two positions and two spots in the lineup for the price of one. If Jackson and Desmond could hit and defend like they used to those two combined could do more for the Sox than one Cespedes. Well, in theory that is.

Uhg, I still have that disturbing image of Demi Moore in a bikini stuck in my head! If only I could erase that from my mind. Damn!

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
Don't forget "Rick Hahn is the greatest poker player since...."

As good as the Lawrie and Frazier deals still look (on paper), it's still curious why you would make those moves if you knew you were limited on the payroll side.

Hopefully it wasn't all predicated on being able to move Adam LaRoche (to free up roughly $5-6 million), because that would be a sad state of affairs indeed. All we heard last year was that none of the players we gave up and none of the contracts we signed would have that much of an impact on the overall direction of the franchise. Well, clearly, that was not the case.

I see it as the Sox made those moves because of the limited payroll. Frazier is going to make a mere 8M in '16 and that's pretty cheap for a power hitting 3B. Lawrie will only cost about 4M and comes with close to 20 HR potential at 2B. It would be difficult to find players capable of that power potential for cheaper. The Sox cut ties with the salaries of Flowers, Soto, Alexei and lost Samardzija to FA but gained Frazier, Lawrie, Avila and Navarro for about the same money. For a team in need of offensive and defensive upgrades, I'd say they did rather well. Hopefully they add more to finish it off.

I do agree with you that a few moves last year are hurting the team's maneuverability this year. Namely LaRoche and to a lesser extent Melky. Plus, it would have been nice to still have the Samardzija prospects to use as trade bait this year but that it is the past and nothing can be done about it now.

The Sox are doomed already if their culture isn't strong enough to keep a new player from polluting the clubhouse.

Maybe the wild card is fellow Cuban player Jose Abreu, a formidable presence who could help keep Cespedes in the right frame of mind.

A big question is whether Sox manager Robin Ventura can earn the respect of a player like Cespedes.

If he can't, the Sox have to start looking for a new manager because that's a huge part of the job these days.

This part of the Daily Herald article could have been cribbed from SoxTalk.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
Don't forget "Rick Hahn is the greatest poker player since...."

As good as the Lawrie and Frazier deals still look (on paper), it's still curious why you would make those moves if you knew you were limited on the payroll side.

Hopefully it wasn't all predicated on being able to move Adam LaRoche (to free up roughly $5-6 million), because that would be a sad state of affairs indeed. All we heard last year was that none of the players we gave up and none of the contracts we signed would have that much of an impact on the overall direction of the franchise. Well, clearly, that was not the case.

The Cincinnati Kid? with Lancey Howard yet to be revealed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:13 PM)
Mets fans are crazy on Twitter about Cespedes. Rosenthal has a proposed deal suggestion that I'm sure people will relay as being an actual offer.

Well it's worth discussing...would anyone be willing to defer money like Chris Davis far into the future when he's not playing baseball?

Here's Rosenthal's latest blurb. Has some interesting points. You know, the Mets sure are lingering around long enough for a team that's supposed to be in such debt and not interested in signing a player to such a long term commitment...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-yor...contract-011916

“We continue to have conversations with Cespedes’ agent,” Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told season-ticket holders Tuesday, according to a tweet from the club. “That’s all I can say at this time.”

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
Well it's worth discussing...would anyone be willing to defer money like Chris Davis far into the future when he's not playing baseball?

For the little bit Baltimore will be paying, I would absolutely do the same for Cespedes and in fact I'd prefer it. Davis' deferred payments are chump change and would have very little effect on future payroll's. I'm game!

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 36m36 minutes ago

Goddamnit the white sox better sign Cespedes

The guy people were using as a source earlier during Cespedrama is seemingly just a fan.

To be fair to him, he said he heard from somebody close to the organization.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
Desmond baffles me. His defensive numbers are'nt that great and yet he's supposedly known for his defense so am I missing something here? His offensive regression concerns me too but he might be one of those " change of scenery" players and might benefit a move to the Sox? Like I said, I'm kind of baffled by him and find myself riding the fence like I do with Fowler.

I see where you're coming from though. For the same money as Cespedes, the Sox could potentially upgrade two positions and two spots in the lineup for the price of one. If Jackson and Desmond could hit and defend like they used to those two combined could do more for the Sox than one Cespedes. Well, in theory that is.

Uhg, I still have that disturbing image of Demi Moore in a bikini stuck in my head! If only I could erase that from my mind. Damn!

Desmond had some crazy streak to start the season of 8 errors in the first 12 games. Settled down a bit after that.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 36m36 minutes ago

Goddamnit the white sox better sign Cespedes

The guy people were using as a source earlier during Cespedrama is seemingly just a fan.

raBBit went over this. Don't people read? Dave's source was an agent buddy of his. It was going around amongst agents that White Sox and Cespedes had a deal. It was planted by agents to get the market started. Dave didn't lie. He just got bad info.