Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
Why are you so fascinated with season ticket sales? I will tell you one thing, I have a small weekend package right now and yesterday was upgrade day. There wasn't a lot of upgrades available. The people with the good seats kept them.

I agree. I looked at the upgrades and couldn't find anything worth switching to. Maybe the sales are great but they haven't dropped off a cliff.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
I agree. I've had this feeling for awhile.

All of these teams keep getting mentioned, and then disappearing. The White Sox 3 year maximum keeps coming up. If the White Sox weren't the leader, there wouldn't be the need to keep mentioning their offer max, which leads me to think all of the rest of the stuff is either inconsequential or it is BS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
I really have the feeling the White Sox are the only serious bidders out there.

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
Bob nightengale said on mlb network right before I left the house that he expects Cespedes to go to the Nats at they have the best offer out on the table right now....kinda contradicts that NY reporters tweet

It's funny how these posts were made 5 minutes apart and yet they completely contradict each other.

This entire saga is such a mystery and I just want it to be over.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
It's funny how these posts were made 5 minutes apart and yet they completely contradict each other.

This entire saga is such a mystery and I just want it to be over.

Agree. I want to move on so we can start talking about someone else. My preference if he signs somewhere else is Jackson and a right handed hitting bench bat (Pearce or Raburn) to platoon with LaRoche.

I keep going back to raBBit's post saying that the talks have been creative and options are the sticking point. Leads me to believe that the Sox are sticking to fewer years (I might believe they'll offer four years), and they are haggling over options for an additional year or two.

If the tweet saying the Nationals offer is not good is true, then maybe the Sox truly are the only serious bidders.

I just hope this nonsense ends soon...like today.

I've been thinking this for the last week or so. I think Roc Nation is trying to get the Mets involved, but they dont have an offer that beats the Sox and the Sox know it. That's why the Nationals have been brought into the whole thing, to make the Mets feel like they need to invest in Cespedes to stay atop the division. The Nationals have Werth at $21 million/year in LF, Revere and Taylor in CF, and Harper in RF, where is Cespedes going to play?

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Bob nightengale said on mlb network right before I left the house that he expects Cespedes to go to the Nats at they have the best offer out on the table right now....kinda contradicts that NY reporters tweet

Ok. I wonder if the sox are using Bob to downplay them so they can try and strike a deal quietly.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
I've been thinking this for the last week or so. I think Roc Nation is trying to get the Mets involved, but they dont have an offer that beats the Sox and the Sox know it. That's why the Nationals have been brought into the whole thing, to make the Mets feel like they need to invest in Cespedes to stay atop the division. The Nationals have Werth at $21 million/year in LF, Revere and Taylor in CF, and Harper in RF, where is Cespedes going to play?

I think a good chunk of the rumors are an attempt to get other teams interested, and/or bluff the White Sox into bidding against themselves.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)

That was my question about the Nats. Where would he play? That's why I believe the Mets report on the offer not being great.

The only way I can see the Nationals being interested is if they move one of their outfielders, and I just can't see that happening.

Werth is paid too much and would require Washington to eat a lot of his salary in a deal, which they wouldn't do.

Revere just got traded to them earlier this offseason, so I can't see them dealing him again.

Harper obviously isn't going anywhere.

Taylor is still fairly young and has showed flashes of being a solid player at the big league level.

Out of those 4, I see Taylor as the most likely candidate to be traded, but I still don't see it as a real possibility.

I think Washington's supposed "interest" in Cespedes is to pressure the Mets to force them to pay more for Yo assuming that a deal is close between them.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
I keep going back to raBBit's post saying that the talks have been creative and options are the sticking point. Leads me to believe that the Sox are sticking to fewer years (I might believe they'll offer four years), and they are haggling over options for an additional year or two.

If the tweet saying the Nationals offer is not good is true, then maybe the Sox truly are the only serious bidders.

I just hope this nonsense ends soon...like today.

I tend to believe the 3 year thing, but my belief is that means 3 years GUARANTEED. Mutual/player/vesting options are another thing. Based on what Nightengale and others have said and the news that Rabbit mentioned yesterday, I fully believe they have agreed in principle to a three year deal and the language/terms regarding options are what's keeping it from being announced.

I also agree with you that they would probably stretch to 4 years guaranteed if they needed to. It would not surprise me at all if that is what Cespedes is looking for because that gets him out of the crazy post 2018 free agent class. I really think by piecing together all the pieces of the puzzle that a deal eventually gets done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
Anything to pad the post counts with the hopes of one day getting my own personalized comment like Fathom and Greg got. That whole third base coach moniker is kind of lame.

I have a suggestion. "Lowest cumulative star rating of top all-time posters." Kind of like the best shi---est bar lifetime achievement award...well, close to a decade at least.

Least favorite poster of Dick Allen, Kyle and Northside would be cool, too.

Buddy of The Ultimate Champion and nemesis of Marty34...

"Chinese Democracy Now"

What was pissing me off this morning was the negative talk on the radio with Mully and Hanley. It all stemmed from what Dave Cameron from fangraphs said about the Sox next year. He said that the Sox are pretty much a bad team no matter what they do with Cesepedes because the back end of the rotation "sucks", they have no shortstop and that the lower end of their roster is terrible.

While he may be correct the radio guys were jumping on it and riding into their Cubs land joy. The Cubs are great at everything and the Sox are terrible and hopeless with everything.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
What was pissing me off this morning was the negative talk on the radio with Mully and Hanley. It all stemmed from what Dave Cameron from fangraphs said about the Sox next year. He said that the Sox are pretty much a bad team no matter what they do with Cesepedes because the back end of the rotation "sucks", they have no shortstop and that the lower end of their roster is terrible.

While he may be correct the radio guys were jumping on it and riding into their Cubs land joy. The Cubs are great at everything and the Sox are terrible and hopeless with everything.

I can't listen to that crap. It's all "Cubs are great and the Sox are hot garbage."

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)

Mully is actually a huge Sox fan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Mully is actually a huge Sox fan.

I know which is why it was making me mad to. LOL

Its like now that the Score is the Cubs network we are going to have to deal with happy joy Cub talk all day even by our resident Sox fans that are on the Score. Of course I could just not listen.