Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
If they dont sign Cespedes I would think its because he received a bigger deal than even Upton got. The Sox just misjudged the market and thought these guys were going to have less teams that needed them along with coming down to their price range. It was terrible judgement.

As I stated numerous times this is poor management if that is the case. This is not a retail store. If the deal for Cespedes is " a good deal" other teams will catch wind of this becasue it is a good deal and drive up the price. Teams do not necessarily bid against themselves they offer an amount to end the process.

The cubs offered a bid that was greater tahn what any other team would offer especially with the buyouts and the deal was done.

The White Sox appear to be holding out hope that no other team can use Cespedes and he will agree to give them the deal that Sale and Quintana did.

Who knows maybe there is a deal to bring Jayson Werth home to Illinois on a buy low deal.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Rosenthal, Nightengale, & now Mirosi.

Rosenthal didn't say anyone was a frontrunner. Morosi basically retweeted Rosenthal. Nightengale said what he said, but he has also been parroting the 3 year limit thing and no one believes that.

Not saying the Nats won't end up with Cespedes, but I don't see them as being a clear favorite necessarily.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
Rosenthal didn't say anyone was a frontrunner. Morosi basically retweeted Rosenthal. Nightengale said what he said, but he has also been parroting the 3 year limit thing and no one believes that.

Not saying the Nats won't end up with Cespedes, but I don't see them as being a clear favorite necessarily.

Momentum like this from national writers never bodes well.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
you know, i respect you and respect you as a posters. with that.

if the sox does not get cespy... for whatever reason, and settle for a second tier of'er like jackson and pickup lets say a sp or a temp ss. i would be extremely happy. they still did something to improve this team.

that team will still be fun to watch....

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but, what will this board be like if the Sox don't sign Cespedes and aren't able to sign one or two of the second tier players?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
Someone said Nightengale said the Nats offer was the best on the table. Maybe it's the only one on the table, maybe it's the best at the moment, etc...

You're in denial my friend.

Man, I hate being in this position. I don't even WANT Cespedes specifically, I just wanted a substantial RF upgrade because the market was so good and fit made so much sense.

My heart wants him, but my brain is reminding me that the best course might be Austin Jackson + Ian Desmond. Or stare down Colorado until they give up CarGo for Tyler Danish.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
Again, if the Nats work out a trade, who would go?

Do they trade Revere? He plays CF and will be their leadoff hitter. Nats don't want Rendon leading off.

Werth? Who wants that contract, and a declining aging player?

I don't see a fit at all

Sigh, if they want to trade Harper I guess we can take him from them.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
I hate to rain on anyone's parade but, what will this board be like if the Sox don't sign Cespedes and aren't able to sign one or two of the second tier players?

Well, frankly I think there have already been valleys where that was realized so there isn't much more to say. I was willing to support this offseason if they could really check all the boxes but they did not.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)

If Avisail Garcia is the RF on Opening Day (and it isn't because of a ST injury), it will be tremendous failure for the Sox. I'm not just saying that from an Avi-hater perspective -- the market was absolutely flush to make an upgrade and the bidders were relatively few.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
If they add Fowler, or Desmond, they will be viewed for what they are. Also rans. Second rate...unwilling to compete.

No Cespedes? Hahn better have some big trade up his sleeve. Adams for Cargo? Something to show an honest effort to improve the team...and that ain't Fowler, IMO.

Before last season, Desmond had been a significantly better player than Cespedes