Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
Again, if the Nats work out a trade, who would go?

Do they trade Revere? He plays CF and will be their leadoff hitter. Nats don't want Rendon leading off.

Werth? Who wants that contract, and a declining aging player?

I don't see a fit at all

I wonder if they could be done with Zimmerman. Move Werth into 1B and fill out the OF with Harper, Revere, and Cespedes, dramatically improves defense and doesn't make them reliant on Zimmerman ever being healthy and regaining form. Thats the only scenario that makes much sense to me.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
I wonder if they could be done with Zimmerman. Move Werth into 1B and fill out the OF with Harper, Revere, and Cespedes, dramatically improves defense and doesn't make them reliant on Zimmerman ever being healthy and regaining form. Thats the only scenario that makes much sense to me.

Or they know Zimmerman is going to get busted for PEDs

There was a suggestion where they either deal Revere again or play him a few times a week giving the injury plagued Werth more time off. Revere could also get into every game via double switch, pinch hitting, pinch running, defensive sub. Although I don't really know who would leadoff if they signed him and cut Revere's playing time (Murphy? Seems more like a #2 though).

Potential Nats lineup:

Murphy 2B

Rendon 3B

Harper RF

Cespedes CF

Zimmerman 1B

Werth LF

Ramos C

Espinosa SS

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
There was a suggestion where they either deal Revere again or play him a few times a week giving the injury plagued Werth more time off. Revere could also get into every game via double switch, pinch hitting, pinch running, defensive sub. Although I don't really know who would leadoff if they signed him and cut Revere's playing time (Murphy? Seems more like a #2 though).

Potential Nats lineup:

Murphy 2B

Rendon 3B

Harper RF

Cespedes CF

Zimmerman 1B

Werth LF

Ramos C

Espinosa SS

That's a good lineup, but where is Trea Turner? I thought he was their top prospect?

From all reports, they offered Upton a better player 2 years younger than Cespedes 3 years. Now the reports say the are the frontrunners for Cespedes, and he is going to get at least 5 years.

Now, unless they plan on playing Cespedes in CF, decreasing a lot of his value, this does not add up.

It has to be something with the Mets.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Their owner is about as wealthy as anyone, and their payroll is well down from last season. I just don't see the fit. I am probably wrong, but I think if they really are engaged, they may be trying to get the Sox or another team to offer more years and keep him off the Mets.

This could very well be true, I just think with what happened with Upton, the reality is Cespedes is getting at least 4 years @ 20M+/year and I'd be surprised if the Sox were willing to go there. I think the Sox effort is likely to be creative and put more options / incentives to try and hedge themselves (which is smart) but the reality is, someone else is going to make the bigger offer (given who else is out there).

Yes the situation is very fluid and can change in short order. But it seems like this is the sprint to the finish; the market has whittled it's way down to the "favorites" stage, those teams have been announced (NYM, CWS, WAS), and they've been slugging it out in negotiations for a few days now at least. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of room for much more talk, re-negotiating, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing gets wrapped up later tonight, whoever it's going to be.

At the start of the off-season if you were to ask me if I would have wanted the Sox to make a huge investment on Cespedes I would have hesitated and maybe would have said no. Now after investing a lot of time on here and following the story everywhere I am wanting it to happen so badly for the wrong reasons. While I wont be mad if they do sign him I also believe that they are probably better off not having this guy in the long run. We will probably be regretting this move a year or two from now if it does happen.

Cespedes seems engaged more when the s*** is on the line, as reflected in his career average with RISP and his carrying the Mets to the division title down the stretch last season. If the Sox can put a legitimate contending team on the field the next couple of seasons (our so-called window of opportunity), I'd feel pretty good that Cespedes would stay engaged while playing for the Sox, or whomever he ends up signing with for that matter.

Edited by blackmooncreeping