Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
What happened?

He FINALLY officially signed with someone?

That would lead to approximately 150 more pages of posts, lol...

Listening to the guys on MLB talk about Cespedes and they were quite negative. Yea, he has a big bat but lack of defense and baggage questions. They have me wondering.

Edited by Saufley

hi8is has gone crazy this month...

Granted, as one who gets emotional from time to time, he's REALLY taking this hard.

In the back of your mind as a White Sox fan, you have to be conditioned to at least expect to be disappointed and then it's easier to be pleasantly surprised.

The last time I was REALLY excited about the White Sox was heading into 2009 after the 2008 playoffs and we had Beckham and Viciedo on the horizon. Probably followed more Barons games that year in the first half than White Sox games in the second half this year. Of course, almost all of the touted prospects from that team have fallen off the face of the earth.

As far as Cespedes goes, it's safe to say he's probably not going to put up another 6 WAR season. He's much more likely to be at 3-4. That would be worth roughly $24.5 per year (avg. war of 3.5) on the FA market, or basically $98 million for four.

Anything over 4 years or $100 million and the White Sox should turn somewhere else.

The end.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
Listening to the guys on MLB talk about Cespedes and they were quite negative. Yea, he has a big bat but lack of defense and baggage questions. They have me wondering.

He's a very good defensive LF. He has been a very bad defensive CF, he's played 21% of his ML innings in CF. He's not a good option to be moved around the outfield during the season which has happened throughout his career.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)

Granted, as one who gets emotional from time to time, he's REALLY taking this hard.

In the back of your mind as a White Sox fan, you have to be conditioned to at least expect to be disappointed and then it's easier to be pleasantly surprised.

The last time I was REALLY excited about the White Sox was heading into 2009 after the 2008 playoffs and we had Beckham and Viciedo on the horizon. Probably followed more Barons games that year in the first half than White Sox games in the second half this year. Of course, almost all of the touted prospects from that team have fallen off the face of the earth at this point.

Yes, prior to January 2016 hi8is was the poster boy for normalcy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)

Ever go through a divorce and child custody case with a woman who turned out to have borderline personality disorder? Let me tell ya... It leads to some f***ing insanity. Believe they're technically called, "fleas". I've got "fleas".

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
Yep afraid to admit a massive scouting mistake. I also have no doubt they don't play the system with the draft picks like the Astros did last year.

Adams would seem to be one of the exceptions there...whether that was attributable to scouting or extra money in the pool, it's a bit difficult to assess.

And, as far as international signings, perhaps the "overnight sensation" expectation of Adolfo were too high simply because you look at him in terms of physicality and he looks like he's ready to play in the big leagues right now...like LeBron in middle school.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
He's a very good defensive LF. He has been a very bad defensive CF, he's played 21% of his ML innings in CF. He's not a good option to be moved around the outfield during the season which has happened throughout his career.

I turned it on mid way and they may have been showing the CF action in regards to the Nats wanting him to possibly play CF, if signed.

Thanks.

Why has this deal not been consumated yet? Something put a kink in the deal? Agents shopping around for someone to beat it? Seems like there was huge smoke overnight into this morning/afternoon...but not much now.

Regardless of whether you want Cespedes or not, either way I'd have thought there would be an announcement by now with the Nats.

And this show of power is necessary to do without sending a PM?

Okay...but other posters can deliberately just make up things I never even said and attribute them to me like gospel and that's perfectly fair?

Got it.

Glad you enjoyed putting a 46 year old in his place in cyberspace. Yay for the younger generation!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
Ever go through a divorce and child custody case with a woman who turned out to have borderline personality disorder? Let me tell ya... It leads to some f***ing insanity. Believe they're technically called, "fleas". I've got "fleas".

Whenever you're feeling low, just page me and I'll call you....

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
I haven't had a chance to post all day, but if we can't go 5/$110M for Cespedes, then our ownership group and/or front office should be completely embarrassed. That's a very fair deal for a player of his talent in today's free agent environment.

My feeling is that if they don't pony up the money for Cespedes then they better have a big trade in the works. Otherwise, they are throwing their 2 year window out the window.

Edited by Condor13