Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
It seems like if they wanted to be here they would have been here by now but I could just be going crazy from the wait.

I gotta disagree. I think the problem right now is Cespedes/Gordon/Upton are stuck in a buyers' market and they're holding their ground on their demands in hopes of something changing. My guess is that wildcard is Chris Davis. If he were to leave Baltimore, that potentially opens up another major suitor for Upton & Cespedes. Unfortunately for them, teams won't wait forever and there are plenty of options on the trade market for teams not willing to wait until the finish line on the big free agents. At some point they'll have to concede and take what the market is baring. I also think that a Gordon signing could speed things up significantly, since him potentially leaving the Royals eliminates a suitor for the other two guys (as K.C. is only an option for Alex) or makes teams more desperate with less options available. Once that first domino falls, everything else should move quickly IMO.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
Why does a longer wait hurt our chances but not the chances of the other teams?

Just my opinion. The longer Gordon takes the more likely it feels like he uses us for more money and returns back to KC. As far as Cespedes goes, the longer that takes the more other teams may feel like they can come back into play for him. Was hoping the Abreu connection with him would seal the deal and give us an advantage over most other teams if the money was at or around the same as other bidders. We have been linked to him a little too long for my comfort, just have that feeling the sox like to work quietly behind the scenes on bringing someone in not airing their laundry out for everyone else to see. Just thinking cautiously that's all.

Don't underestimate the allure of Chicago for Cespedes. He's all about the money and could make a ton of cash on the side by being a star in a major market. Add in the Abreu factor & his familiarity with the AL Central and I think there are many reasons to be positive about landing him if we have one of the top offers.

He could very well have signed and be pending a physical. A lot of teams hold out on announcing signings until that's done to avoid guys being dumped back onto the market with the failed physical red flag. Keeps front offices in the good graces of agents and players.

Can you remember the last time the Sox signed a FA and it was pending a physical? I don't bother to look.

Bob Nightengale just said on MLB Tonight that the White Sox have had "extensive talks" with each of the 3 top OF'ers. Says he expects them to land one & named Cespedes a decent amount in that conversation. He said, they have been "sitting back" waiting for the prices to drop.

Said 2-3 times that he expects a few of these guys to settle for 2-3 years deals but specifically named Upton as a guy that may hold out the longest.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
He could very well have signed and be pending a physical. A lot of teams hold out on announcing signings until that's done to avoid guys being dumped back onto the market with the failed physical red flag. Keeps front offices in the good graces of agents and players.

Can you remember the last time the Sox signed a FA and it was pending a physical? I don't bother to look.

Possibly. However I feel if there is nothing announced tonight which as it gets later the less likely it becomes, then it will be atleast after the holiday weekend before there is a conclusion. I'm fine waiting but this really has been like a three week saga of checking tumors and getting excited about all three of these guys possibly signing with us. I would love a conclusion one way or the other just for my sanity and cell phone battery life.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
Bob Nightengale just said on MLB Tonight that the White Sox have had "extensive talks" with each of the 3 top OF'ers. Says he expects them to land one & named Cespedes a decent amount in that conversation. He said, they have been "sitting back" waiting for the prices to drop.

Said 2-3 times that he expects a few of these guys to settle for 2-3 years deals but specifically named Upton as a guy that may hold out the longest.

Just saw that, looks like it's a waiting game because the market is really not in favor of the players. I bet you Sox have offers made and the OFs are trying to see if someone comes in with a higher offer.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
Just saw that, looks like it's a waiting game because the market is really not in favor of the players. I bet you Sox have offers made and the OFs are trying to see if someone comes in with a higher offer.

Not sure if you caught the same thing but he mentioned Cespedes multiple times. It's weird that they had a short White Sox segment when asking him FA questions.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)

I wouldn't mind overpaying (as in 20+) plus on a 3 year deal as opposed to a 5 or 6 year deal at 18M.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)

Yep, these guys are looking for another team to get involved. Right now, it's the White Sox, Orioles, and maybe another team or two (Angels? Giants?)...I'm sure there's another team involved that I miss, but the point being, there may not be enough interest at the current demands of these players.

Where is Chris Davis in all this as well?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
Yep, these guys are looking for another team to get involved. Right now, it's the White Sox, Orioles, and maybe another team or two (Angels? Giants?)...I'm sure there's another team involved that I miss, but the point being, there may not be enough interest at the current demands of these players.

Where is Chris Davis in all this as well?

Yeah it's not that they don't want to sign with the Sox. It's about money.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
So Nightengale on MLB Network said he believes Sox land one, then he tweets not close to deal with anyone. Ok.

See you next year folks.

Saying he believes they'll sign 1 & saying they aren't close isn't exactly contradicting...

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
We all want one of these OF's, but with the new reports out there from people we absolutely trust, especially Nightengale, I like the Sox waiting for the market to come to them.

Would make sense; the market is working to their advantage at the moment.

Ya this is going to be awhile. It's a pissing match at this point. And I agree I think this leads to a team jumping in and snatching one of these guys and shaking up the market. LAA or Det is my guess. I just hope we're not the ones left holding the bag.

I was so excited about those tweets about Cespy signing I actually thought there was a chance tonight. But these guys are holding out and I don't blame them. We'll see who blinks first.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
And in most cases, when a team is heavily involved like it sounds like the Sox are, if the agent of those OF's get close on a deal with another team, they are going to make a phone call to the Sox to see if they will match it.

It's December 30th. We are all impatient, but let things unfold.

Yeah it's not like Spring Training starts tomorrow. There's still a good amount of time left.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)

Thanks for the update. Helps me relax even more.