Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Well then we might have to wait another week cause I doubt anything else baseball wise is happening tomorrow with the hall of fame stuff

People keep saying this but I don't think a deal will be held because of the HOF. In fact if Raines gets in a big three signing coupled with him getting in would be pretty epic for our fanbase.

I still doubt we see any movement till late next week or the week after. This will go on for as long as teams and players are willing to have a staring contest. Whenever someone blinks I'll bet you see multiple signings within days. As stated a lot here we just need the first person to sign for all the dominos to fall.

The best thing we can hope for is that first signing is Davis back to Balt. Because it takes out the main competition for Cespedes.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
People keep saying this but I don't think a deal will be held because of the HOF. In fact if Raines gets in a big three signing coupled with him getting in would be pretty epic for our fanbase.

I still doubt we see any movement till late next week or the week after. This will go on for as long as teams and players are willing to have a staring contest. Whenever someone blinks I'll bet you see multiple signings within days. As stated a lot here we just need the first person to sign for all the dominos to fall.

The best thing we can hope for is that first signing is Davis back to Balt. Because it takes out the main competition for Cespedes.

Agreed.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)

I think the Giants are the biggest threat right now.

One more reason to like Cespedes is that his ceiling is much higher than Gordon's.

If he repeats last year's break out season, or exceeds it, which he has the talent to do, he would be a Super Star.

It's very unlikely that Gordon's production would be anywhere near that level.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
One more reason to like Cespedes is that his ceiling is much higher than Gordon's.

If he repeats last year's break out season, or exceeds it, which he has the talent to do, he would be a Super Star.

No, but to expect Cespedes to be the 2015 version is a stretch. Over the last 4 years, Gordon has a higher total WAR. A writer pointed out during 2013-2014 Cespedes was a good fielding Mark Trumbo.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)

Cespedes was worth 6.7 WAR in 2015. Gordon was worth 6.6 WAR in 2011 and 6.6 WAR in 2014.

Could be good news for Sox fans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604907...-with-right-fit

"Apart from a two-month stint in Boston at the end of 2014, Cespedes has spent his career playing home games in parks that aren't known to be power-friendly. First there was O.co Coliseum, and then came Comerica Park and Citi Field. Per ESPN.com's park factors, all three tend to rate as either neutral or unfriendly parks for power hitters.

Giving Cespedes a more power-friendly home ballpark to play in, therefore, could go a long way toward making sure his 2015 power breakout has some staying power. And this, naturally, is where it becomes easy to draw a line in the sand between his suitors.

On one side, you have the Angels and Giants. Because it would mainly involve gambling on Cespedes' power, both clubs should be wary of signing him—even if it were at a discounted rate. Angel Stadium of Anaheim and AT&T Park are noted death traps for power hitters. As such, neither club would be putting Cespedes in a good position to continue his power-based breakout."

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Could be good news for Sox fans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604907...-with-right-fit

"Apart from a two-month stint in Boston at the end of 2014, Cespedes has spent his career playing home games in parks that aren't known to be power-friendly. First there was O.co Coliseum, and then came Comerica Park and Citi Field. Per ESPN.com's park factors, all three tend to rate as either neutral or unfriendly parks for power hitters.

Giving Cespedes a more power-friendly home ballpark to play in, therefore, could go a long way toward making sure his 2015 power breakout has some staying power. And this, naturally, is where it becomes easy to draw a line in the sand between his suitors.

On one side, you have the Angels and Giants. Because it would mainly involve gambling on Cespedes' power, both clubs should be wary of signing him—even if it were at a discounted rate. Angel Stadium of Anaheim and AT&T Park are noted death traps for power hitters. As such, neither club would be putting Cespedes in a good position to continue his power-based breakout."

This is why I like Cespedes more cause he hasn't fully been in a homerun park. Playing at the Cell could easily see him maintain 30+ homers. Maybe even more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
No, but to expect Cespedes to be the 2015 version is a stretch. Over the last 4 years, Gordon has a higher total WAR. A writer pointed out during 2013-2014 Cespedes was a good fielding Mark Trumbo.

I think that's basically accurate; but for 2015, Cespedes O is basically Trumbo without the terrible defense.

That would help this team a lot. Worth the money? No. But if they are going for it this year, they have to pay some premiums.

Gordon has his own attendant risks and the cost of the loss of a high draft pick. He's been the more consistent hitter, no doubt.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
This is why I like Cespedes more cause he hasn't fully been in a homerun park. Playing at the Cell could easily see him maintain 30+ homers. Maybe even more.

That makes sense; except it never seems to work out that way.

That said, the chance that he can explode in the Cell is worth the risk.

Edited by GreenSox

That's why I don't think the Giants are the biggest threat to sign him, he's a much bigger risk in that park.

Ya no doubt about it. Being in a lineup with Abreu and Frazier could enhance that as well.

With Baltimore in desperate need of pitching, I think they sign a pitcher, Alvarez and one of the 2nd tier FA outfielders. Baltimore has money but they also have multiple holes so I'm guessing they spread the money out to fill those holes. This would help the Sox tremendously in the Sox negotiations with Cespedes. Or so I hope. :)

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
That's why I don't think the Giants are the biggest threat to sign him, he's a much bigger risk in that park.

I really don't see the Giants being big threats. The Orioles if they loose out on davis have supposedly are more interested in upton. Tho the Orioles owner like davis so much he's willing to give him every opportunity to come back. That supposed offer they withdrew is still kinda there. Angels don't want to hit the luxury tax and they are so right handed that might take them away from Cespedes. Only real team I see could be threats on Cespedes is tigers.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)

This and the Giants payroll is sitting around 165M so IHMO, the Giants look at one of the 2nd tier free agent outfielders. If the Giants signed one of the big three it would put their payroll right around the luxury tax threshold and wouldn't allow any wiggle room for mid-season acquisitions without going into luxury tax territory.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
I really don't see the Giants being big threats. The Orioles if they loose out on davis have supposedly are more interested in upton. Tho the Orioles owner like davis so much he's willing to give him every opportunity to come back. That supposed offer they withdrew is still kinda there. Angels don't want to hit the luxury tax and they are so right handed that might take them away from Cespedes. Only real team I see could be threats on Cespedes is tigers.

To me Baltimore and LA are the two biggest threats, and then SF and Detroit are 2nd tier threats. Don't really see the Tigers being big threats because it would put them over the luxury tax limit for several seasons in a row, and I doubt they want to do that.

On the other hand, Cespedes has proven that he can hit in pitchers' parks.

What he hasn't shown is that his pitchers' park production will exponentially increase in a hitters' park.

But for 2 months in Boston, his home base has been a pitchers park and his home/away splits are remarkably even. Now you would expect a player to hit better at home, all things being equal; but it doesn't look like his production is terribly park specific.

I think the Giants are a threat. They want to contend, they need an OF and they have the money to spend on one.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)

Unless the tigers decide to go into the luxury tax, I don't think they are really threat. Here's how Detroit's finances break down.

Committed contracts/retained salaries for 11 players: 151.4M

Speculated arbitration salaries for 5 players: 17.3

Cost for 8 league minimum players : 4M

Leaving one spot open for a FA signing, that's a total of 172M+ for 24 players. IMHO, either the tigers are bluffing in their interest or are being used by agents to drive the prices up.