Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

I would be shocked if that offer for Davis was still "kind of" out there. If it was, he'd be a damned fool to not take it.

With the way the market has moved now, Davis might be looking at 3-5 year deals just like the big 3. He's got to be kicking himself for not taking that 150 million when it was offered.

Edited by South Sider

Just read a blurb from Jim Bowden saying that both Upton & Cespedes market has picked up a bit since the beginning of the year in terms of interest.

For the Sox, that's not particularly good news but could mean nothing, too.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Just read a blurb from Jim Bowden saying that both Upton & Cespedes market has picked up a bit since the beginning of the year in terms of interest.

For the Sox, that's not particularly good news but could mean nothing, too.

Are you talking about this one

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-of...r/post?id=12005

Cause this is kinda old

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
I was told from a source the White Sox would be agreeing to a contract with someone today. It's not a good source. It's not even really a source. I just want to be first.

Looks like my fake source was wrong, but as you know, things are very fluid and change so the fake info may have been correct at the time.

Sounding more and more like the Giants are out of the running for one Upton/Cespedes/Gordon.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/166514/201601...o-expensive.htm

"Rumors have linked the Giants to high-profile options such as Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Upton and Alex Gordon, but it's been said the team doesn't want to add another enormous long-term deal to their payroll. All three aforementioned names are looking for annual salaries in the $20 million range. Their prices may decrease, but perhaps it won't be enough to entice San Francisco."

Historically, don't FA that wait this long to sign usually get less AAV than guys that sign earlier? The pool of dollars is smaller, the teams bidding are fewer, and in general you lose leverage the closer to spring it gets. We are only about 45 days from pitchers and catchers. I really have no idea but it seems logical.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
Last heard, orioles were holding at 154/7 for Davis, but angelos wasn't OKing full-bore pursuit of gordon/cespedes/upton yet

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/684566187221487616

Orioles still stuck on davis. Sox better strike soon

Yes. I have this fear that they're waiting this out and someone will outbid us. We'll see.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
Yes. I have this fear that they're waiting this out and someone will outbid us. We'll see.

Heyman also saying KC trying to land Gordon. I hope the Sox aren't stupid enough to wait too long... That's my big concern right now.

Unfortunately I think we only sign one of the big three if things break the right way for us. This means Davis heads back to Baltimore and the market for these guys continues to decrease. I'm pretty sure the Sox are stuck on there numbers and it'll be up to the players if they want to come here on a three year deal. I'm starting to think our excitement the past few weeks will end in a whimper.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
Unfortunately I think we only sign one of the big three if things break the right way for us. This means Davis heads back to Baltimore and the market for these guys continues to decrease. I'm pretty sure the Sox are stuck on there numbers and it'll be up to the players if they want to come here on a three year deal. I'm starting to think our excitement the past few weeks will end in a whimper.

Hahn/Williams aren't stupid by any means & what I mean by that is this: They know they need another piece (OF'er) to put the icing on this offseason. Even if they miss on the top 3 guys, a signing of Fowler would make a lot of sense & improve this team as well.

I have faith they make an add, I just hope it's a one of the top 3 out there.

I don't see anything to be concerned about. It seems the Sox are deep enough into negotiations to where they will get one last chance to make a counter-offer before the FA signs. All part of the negotiating process.

Gonna go ahead and guess the Orioles sign Davis, Royals sign Gordon, Angels sign Upton, Sox sign Cespedes.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
Hahn/Williams aren't stupid by any means & what I mean by that is this: They know they need another piece (OF'er) to put the icing on this offseason. Even if they miss on the top 3 guys, a signing of Fowler would make a lot of sense & improve this team as well.

I have faith they make an add, I just hope it's a one of the top 3 out there.

I just don't know if Fowler is worth it since he costs a pick.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
I just don't know if Fowler is worth it since he costs a pick.

I keep forgetting he does cost a pick. I still think he'd ultimately be a good sign if they can't land a top 3 guy. I still think they end up with Cespedes.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 09:41 PM)
I keep forgetting he does cost a pick. I still think he'd ultimately be a good sign if they can't land a top 3 guy. I still think they end up with Cespedes.

I hope so, I wonder what Rabbit thinks about this KC guys update. Rabbits been pretty clear his sources have said we want Gordon primarily.