Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
What about Melky? He's probably the best 2 hole hitter the Sox have.

Regardless if the Sox get Cespedes/Upton/Etc, I'd have to imagine that Melky will be hitting 2nd in the lineup ... in the beginning of the season at least.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
As long as Abreu doesn't bat second anymore, I'm good :lol:

Yes, I agree Melky is the odds on guy to hit in the 2 hole as of today, by default. I think someone with more speed and on-base production would be a better fit, and make Melky more productive as a run producer down the lineup. With Gordon off the board, none of the FA outfielders left really profiles as a number 2 hitter, do they?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Yes, I agree Melky is the odds on guy to hit in the 2 hole as of today, by default. I think someone with more speed and on-base production would be a better fit, and make Melky more productive as a run producer down the lineup. With Gordon off the board, none of the FA outfielders left really profiles as a number 2 hitter, do they?

Fowler does, for what it's worth, or should I say; "for what he's worth". Not much, apparently.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
I'd much rather sign Austin Jackson or Denard Span than trade anything for a declining Markakis. What sucks about missing on Gordon is he would've slotted perfectly into the 2 hole in front of Jose. Even if we bring in Cespedes or Upton, that still leaves Jose hitting 2nd. He should absolutely be hitting 3rd with a decent OBP guy in front of him and the middle of the order.

I guess this is something we see differently. The numbers that declined for most with Markakis are his power and defense, both could be due to the bigger ballpark in Atlanta compared to Camden. Otherwise, Markakis still hit for Average, OBP, low K-rate and costs 11M per year for the next three years which would put the Sox payroll at a very reasonable 130M. Singing one of Cespedes or Upton would put the payroll a tick over 140M and I kinda have my doubts JR allows that big of a jump. Hopefully I'm wrong in thinking that.

Gordon: Since Gordon wanted to stay in KC and KC wanted him back, I really don't see how the Sox missed out. Doesn't seem like they had much of a chance since both the team and player didn't want to part ways.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
What about Melky? He's probably the best 2 hole hitter the Sox have.

Regardless if the Sox get Cespedes/Upton/Etc, I'd have to imagine that Melky will be hitting 2nd in the lineup ... in the beginning of the season at least.

I prefer Melky in the middle of the order to break up the RH bats and IIRC Melky hit better in the middle but as the team sits right now, Melky is the #2 hitter and should be.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
Who's idea was it to bat him second? RV?

in my opinion, it wasn't the idea of batting him 2nd was a bad idea, it was the fact that the sox did not have a viable #2 hitter and imo they, the sox and rv was hoping to get a strong #2 hitter and hopefully everything else would fall into place.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
It was a good idea. He was their best hitter. That gives him the most plate appearances

Best hitter yes but, didn't seem to get much lineup protection and better production even batting second. With your reasoning shouldn't he have batted first?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
That article should piss some people off.

If that really was the plan, I wouldn't blame anyone for being pissed off, but even Merkin reported the White Sox would bring in an OF.

This is the sentiment I got by reading this as well. Talk about making it tough look forward to the season when he alludes to some bad ideas as major possibilities.

If that really was the plan, I wouldn't blame anyone for being pissed off, but even Merkin reported the White Sox would bring in an OF.

Yeah, the whole "banking on Garcia improving and LaRoche bouncing back" is awful, awful news if true. I mean hey there's even the "they could make a move during the season to, you know!"

You're right. This is so JR and White Sox. I hope they don't wait too long.

Sorry DA but I disagree. Writers can write whatever they want and the fans can believe whatever they want but nowhere has JR, KW or Hahn said the Sox were raising the payroll budget to afford such a FA signing. It has been rumored that Hahn has the '15 budget with which to work for '16 and the Sox are already there, its probably why Hahn has said they would need to get "creative" to sign a FA. "Creative" in the sense of trading salary (LaRoche rumors) in order to sign a FA. If fans are pissed it should be at their self for believing the media rumors.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Sorry DA but I disagree. Writers can write whatever they want and the fans can believe whatever they want but nowhere has JR, KW or Hahn said the Sox were raising the payroll budget to afford such a FA signing. It has been rumored that Hahn has the '15 budget with which to work for '16 and the Sox are already there, its probably why Hahn has said they would need to get "creative" to sign a FA. "Creative" in the sense of trading salary (LaRoche rumors) in order to sign a FA. If fans are pissed it should be at their self for believing the media rumors.

Rick Hahn has said he is going to add an OF. Even Merkin confirmed the White Sox would be adding an OF. It might not be Cespedes or Upton, but they are not going into the season hoping Avi figures crap out, and playing the "we'll trade for someone in June if needed" game they have played and failed in the past. Another OF will be added. As HOFer Frank Thomas would say, "no doubt about it."

So we're supposed to like at the proposed idea of letting Avi butcher in RF because RH didn't come out and officially say "we need to upgrade RF and shed dead salary like Laroche to do so"?

The line about hoping for an Avi improvement and counting on a Laroche bounce back is horrible. Counting on those 2 things to happen is a stretch, and not what you want to be selling to the fanbase after not only making the prior deals for Frazier and Lawrie, but also intimating in interviews (Hahn!) that you'd definitely be bringing in another OF to platoon/replace/help out Avi.

It's Merkin so I still have faith in Hahn to get the deal done, assuming Reinsdorf gives him the green light $$-wise.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
So we're supposed to like at the proposed idea of letting Avi butcher in RF because RH didn't come out and officially say "we need to upgrade RF and shed dead salary like Laroche to do so"?

Do you honestly think there's any chance at all the Sox are going to start Avi in RF next season? I'll bet my house that they don't.