Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

If they're just playing a media game to goose fan interest and all we're left with is the idea it might have driven up the price for an AL competitor on Cespedes...there's going to be the sound of crickets from the marketing department unless they strike gold with Plan B/C in convincing fashion.

All this stuff with sticking to three years is too obvious...well, since everyone expected Cespedes to get 4-6 and Upton to get 5-8 years at one point, it can't possibly work unless there aren't two other teams out there willing to go 4 or more.

If Gordon got 4+ and Zobrist as well...they're going to have to pay hugely frontloaded contracts with early opt outs or pay Upton $21-25 million for just this season. That wouldn't work for the Sox since we're still waiting on Fulmer and Anderson to get ready the last couple of months this year for 2017 to hit the ground running.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
Detroit, St. Louis, Washington, Baltimore. Those are the teams that are left that worry me.

STL doesn't worry me one bit. They are not a team to spend a lot of money in FA and already signed Leake to a big contract (to their standards) and have a lot of young OFs they want to give a chance.

I see the Sox are still posturing, lol. Let's keep in mind that Cespedes was seeking 6 years, so the Sox low ball him at three years due to less than a handful of teams interested in Cespedes and a market full of outfielders. Garfien, whether one chooses to believe him or not, last week said Cespedes has not received more than a three year offer and I believe Chuck on this one. So what is left to do? Well, Cespedes is 30 and in my opinion going 6 years would be fricken stupid. I still believe the Sox are willing to go 4 years contrary to the PR bulls***. So in the nutshell we have the Sox likely willing to go 4 years for a player that seeks 6 years. If both sides are genuinely interested then the smart thing to do would be to meet half way which would be 4 years + 1 mutual option w/buyout. I don't like the idea of going more than four years but a mutual option doesn't sound so bad if the buyout isn't too much. If another team wants to offer more than 4+1 option then I hope the Sox do the smart thing and look elsewhere for an OF upgrade.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)
STL doesn't worry me one bit. They are not a team to spend a lot of money in FA and already signed Leake to a big contract (to their standards) and have a lot of young OFs they want to give a chance.

Depends on Adams/Holliday and who ends up at 1b or Adams possibly traded.

The Oscar Taveras tragedy still reverberates. Sure, Piscotty and Grichuk are talented guys, but it might not be enough in the face of what the Cubs can throw out there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
I see the Sox are still posturing, lol. Let's keep in mind that Cespedes was seeking 6 years, so the Sox low ball him at three years due to less than a handful of teams interested in Cespedes and a market full of outfielders. Garfien, whether one chooses to believe him or not, last week said Cespedes has not received more than a three year offer and I believe Chuck on this one. So what is left to do? Well, Cespedes is 30 and in my opinion going 6 years would be fricken stupid. I still believe the Sox are willing to go 4 years contrary to the PR bulls***. So in the nutshell we have the Sox likely willing to go 4 years for a player that seeks 6 years. If both sides are genuinely interested then the smart thing to do would be to meet half way which would be 4 years + 1 mutual option w/buyout. I don't like the idea of going more than four years but a mutual option doesn't sound so bad if the buyout isn't too much. If another team wants to offer more than 4+1 option then I hope the Sox do the smart thing and look elsewhere for an OF upgrade.

Why would Garfine possess an insider's ear in the Cespedes camp? That begs belief.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)

I'm not worried about STL either. All indications say they are sticking with what they have which allows them money to add players during the season if needed. This could be PR bulls*** but for some reason I believe it.

So I think we're looking at the Sox, Nat's, O's and possibly the Angels competing for Cespedes and Upton.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
I'm not worried about STL either. All indications say they are sticking with what they have which allows them money to add players during the season if needed. This could be PR bulls*** but for some reason I believe it.

So I think we're looking at the Sox, Nat's, O's and possibly the Angels competing for Cespedes and Upton.

With Harper and Werth at the corners and taylor in CF the Nats have bigger issues than the OF. I don't think they are real serious contenders here.

I really think the hold up is that it's really the O's and Sox being the big competitors. The O's are waiting on Davis, a fan favorite. The sox are staying with the 3 year offer and no players wants that yet. No one is offering the big deal right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
Why would Garfine possess an insider's ear in the Cespedes camp? That begs belief.

Don't know but maybe his insiders ear is not from Cespedes camp, could be the Sox for all we know. Stepping back and looking at the situation as a whole, I think what Chick said makes sense.

Edited by BlackSox13

The Tigers loved Cespedes last year and Illitch is old.

They're more forced all-in than even the White Sox because of the money to Verlander, Zimmermann and Sanchez.

One more big bat to go with the Martinezes, Kinsler, and Cabrera balances out that line-up. Right now, the outfield is soft, decent offense from Iglesias (outperformed last year) but questions at third remain with Castellanos. McCann's a better than average catcher all things considered.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
The Tigers loved Cespedes last year and Illitch is old.

They're more forced all-in than even the White Sox. One more big bat to go with the Martinezes, Kinsler, and Cabrera balances out that line-up. Right now, the outfield is soft, decent offense from Iglesias (outperformed last year) but questions at third remain with Castellanos. McCann's a better than average catcher all things considered.

That's why they make me nervous. They make late splashes too.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
With Harper and Werth at the corners and taylor in CF the Nats have bigger issues than the OF. I don't think they are real serious contenders here.

I really think the hold up is that it's really the O's and Sox being the big competitors. The O's are waiting on Davis, a fan favorite. The sox are staying with the 3 year offer and no players wants that yet. No one is offering the big deal right now.

Good points. I think the Nat's are looking for a CF so they can use Taylor in a 4th outfielder role.

I'm not sold on the Angels either due to their high payroll but I included them anyway since, IIRC, they have gone over the luxury tax threshold in the past.

If indeed it's down to the Sox and Orioles, that could explain the the SOX media related rumors. No reason to flinch when then nothing to flinch about.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
Good points. I think the Nat's are looking for a CF so they can use Taylor in a 4th outfielder role.

I'm not sold on the Angels either due to their high payroll but I included them anyway since, IIRC, they have gone over the luxury tax threshold in the past.

If indeed it's down to the Sox and Orioles, that could explain the the SOX media related rumors. No reason to flinch when then nothing to flinch about.

Taylor is starting in CF in the same way Avi is in RF for the Sox.

Forget the hype and read the stats sheet. Not a pretty picture.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
It would be so nice if Davis went back to Baltimore.

He is the player I can't make a convincing case for anywhere else that has a ton of money to spend. Houston is about the highest revenue team out there who would be a fit. Do I see Houston topping 7/154? Not really, no.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
Cardinals threw a healthy offer at Heyward. They wouldn't do that if they were set on their OF, or if they didn't have any money to spend. Can only hope Leake took them out of any other major plays.

Last I heard on cards is they were talking to rockies about outfielders

I still don't see the Tigers as a huge threat given they have no history of willing to go over the tax limit, and any big deal with Cespedes puts them way over for several seasons in a row, with the penalty going up every year. I think we could outbid them if it came down to it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:37 PM)
I still don't see the Tigers as a huge threat given they have no history of willing to go over the tax limit, and any big deal with Cespedes puts them way over for several seasons in a row, with the penalty going up every year. I think we could outbid them if it came down to it.

I sure hope so.

Also I'm hoping Cespedes is leverage for the Orioles with Chris Davis.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
So let's narrow it down: CWS, BAL. DET sitting back along with LAA. I still like our chances. Baltimore is bringing back Davis. I think LA gets Upton. To me it's down to CWS and DET and this is why they're being patient.

I gotta give you credit, I really admire your optimism.

I really hope the Sox get something done because I think the acquisition of Cespedes would rejuvenate the fanbase a bit.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
I gotta give you credit, I really admire your optimism.

I really hope the Sox get something done because I think the acquisition of Cespedes would rejuvenate the fanbase a bit.

This is a buyers market man. That's why I'm optimistic. Plus with main media guys saying we're a favorite and expected us to land Cespedes or Gordon. Gordon is off the board. Next man up. Hahn gets his guy IMO.