Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 06:42 AM)
I hope there is an announcement of Davis signing with the Orioles today.

That would be about the best piece of news possible for the Sox. I do think the Span signing helps as well, as this is slowly becoming a game of musical chairs and these free agent OFs don't want to be the guy stuck without a team and be forced to take a pillow contract. I remain cautiously optimistic about the Sox's chances, but getting Baltimore out of the mix would increase my optimism significantly.

good lord, listening to Phil Rogers is painful. He was just on the score and was musing about Upton taking a 1 or 2 year deal, then transitioned to "the white sox hope that Avisail will develop into what Cespedes already is"

why do people pay this man for baseball thoughts

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 06:56 AM)
good lord, listening to Phil Rogers is painful. He was just on the score and was musing about Upton taking a 1 or 2 year deal, then transitioned to "the white sox hope that Avisail will develop into what Cespedes already is"

Ugh. The Sox wouldn't be actively looking for an outfielder if they truly hoped that Avisail could become Cespedes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 07:41 AM)
The White Sox according to Caulfield:

They have no money, couldn't have possibly made money last year, yet they still would be cheap and stupid if they didn't spend more on guys like Latos and Parra and Desmond.

Season tickets are approaching an all time low. The Sox missed the boat by not signing a free agent before the season tickets/Christmas present rush.

Rick Hahn is unqualified until he can prove he received a varsity baseball letter at New Trier.

He isn't posting anymore until KW and/or RV are gone.

Cespedes would rather sign in Washington or Detroit because being on the White Sox hurts his marketability. If the White Sox want to sign a free agent, they will have to pay more than a small premium. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I can't turn my TV on without seen Bryce Harper on just about every commercial.

Even if the Sox signed Cespedes, they are maybe the 3rd best team in the division, but probably still the worst.

In other words, it's hopeless.

Dont forget they should sign Desmond in June to play rightfield

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
Ugh. The Sox wouldn't be actively looking for an outfielder if they truly hoped that Avisail could become Cespedes.

During a game this year Hawk said that KW believes that Avi will turn into a 300/30hr/30sb kind of player

i s*** you not

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 06:56 AM)

Did you know that Curtis Granderson is from Chicago?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
Dont forget they should sign Desmond in June to play rightfield

He couldn't be worse than Avi or Viciedo.

At any rate, it's more likely he would stick at SS since that's one of our three weakest positions.

Pretty much nobody in history has moved from SS to the outfield successfully, though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
He couldn't be worse than Avi or Viciedo.

At any rate, it's more likely he would stick at SS since that's one of our three weakest positions.

Pretty much nobody in history has moved from SS to the outfield successfully, though.

Robin Yount.

Wasn't Alexei the opening day CF for the White Sox in 2008?

The thing with Desmond is, why would moving him to the OF do anything but decrease his value, and, especially if you signed him in June, how, without spring training, could you be sure he could handle the OF? We will use caulfields terms, are you 100% confident Desmond could handle the OF and wouldn't look like the second coming of Hanley Ramirez out there?

Edited by Dick Allen

nicky surprise

‏@NickySurprise

@michaelgbaron cespedes is a gold glove outfielder I think a full spring with him working just in CF will make a huge difference

NickyMitch93's alter ego thinks that Cespedes winning a gold glove makes him a great defensive outfielder.