Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
I'm with you on this one BlackSox13.

Right on. I will admit that advanced stats say Desmond is a small upgrade over Alexei but the only SS that had more errors than Desmond (27) was Semien (35). Desmond has positive range whereas Alexei is negative but Desmond is negative in throwing whereas Alexei is positive. Meh, I'll roll the dice with Saladino. :D

For anyone interested : http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
FWIW

SOURCE: @Yankees and @RedSox both meet with #YoenisCespedes over the weekend! #Cespedes "...no problem" taking a 1 year deal #Powerball @

https://mobile.twitter.com/LErikRenne/statu...302426756939776

Another random Twitter tool I assume.

Since the Red Sox sent Cespedes packing pretty quickly and he had some personal problems w a coach in his brief stint, I would doubt there is interest w either side. Sounds like an internet rumor

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
FWIW

SOURCE: @Yankees and @RedSox both meet with #YoenisCespedes over the weekend! #Cespedes "...no problem" taking a 1 year deal #Powerball @

https://mobile.twitter.com/LErikRenne/statu...302426756939776

Another random Twitter tool I assume.

Wouldn't shock me at all. I'm questioning just how involved the Sox have been with Cespedes.

Sounds like the Tigers are taking a similar stance like the Sox. Interesting in that no team, as of yet, is willing to commit to a long term deal for Cespedes.

https://detroitjockcity.com/2016/01/10/detr...ding-to-report/

"One major league source indicated that Cespedes is a hot topic within the Tigers organization and the reaction is split."

"One possibility that would keep all of the offseason reports consistent would be if the Tigers are considering Cespedes, but only if his value slips to the point of accepting a short-term deal. They’re not going to get themselves into a bidding war, but he would fill a need at the right price."

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
Since the Red Sox sent Cespedes packing pretty quickly and he had some personal problems w a coach in his brief stint, I would doubt there is interest w either side. Sounds like an internet rumor

Exactly. Besides it all tweets are true, the Sox have already agreed to a 6 year contract with him, but then didn't but only have a 5 year offer, yet will not offer more than 3 years.

The Yankees are trying to get below the luxury tax. A one year deal would blow that away.

I really don't understand why so many people throw so much BS on the Twitter.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
Exactly. Besides it all tweets are true, the Sox have already agreed to a 6 year contract with him, but then didn't but only have a 5 year offer, yet will not offer more than 3 years.

The Yankees are trying to get below the luxury tax. A one year deal would blow that away.

I really don't understand why so many people throw so much BS on the Twitter.

Page views, fame and fortune for those select few who actually turn out to be right or deliver inside knowledge at least 33% of the time...and the massive desire for minute by minute updated information in any breaking news story, whether sports or a terrorist bombing or mass shooting.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)
On the plus side, there's finally some type of movement or information out there on Upton...and you'd have to think that the Orioles would set a deadline on Chris Davis at some point so they don't miss out on both him AND the outfield market simultaneously.

What movement has there been on the Uptpn front?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
What movement has there been on the Uptpn front?

His agent (Reynolds) making comments to the media as well as a line forming of teams willing to give him one year deals so he can exploit an opportunity to put up huge offensive numbers and make more FA money next year...assuming Upton can't get the long-term deal he wants.

Edited by caulfield12

Well, that's discouraging.

Best case scenario is probably $75-84 million for three years, that's $27.5 million per season splitting the difference.

What's the most they've ever paid a player for one season? Pretty sure $16-17 million in 2012 for Peavy or one of Dunn's years...the most Dunn made was $15 million his last two seasons.

Ordonez made $14 million in 2004, that would be the highest adjusted for inflation. Buehrle made $14 million for four seasons. Konerko at $13.5 million.

After all of this time waiting, all of the talk and speculation, I still think the wisest move for the front office, in which he would be interested, is a 6 year deal, front loaded, with an opt out privilege for him after 2 or 3 years. How many of you share that view?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)

Best case scenario is probably $75-84 million for three years, that's $27.5 million per season splitting the difference.

What's the most they've ever paid a player for one season? Pretty sure $16-17 million in 2012 for Peavy or one of Dunn's years...the most Dunn made was $15 million his last two seasons.

Ordonez made $14 million in 2004, that would be the highest adjusted for inflation. Buehrle made $14 million for four seasons. Konerko at $13.5 million.

What's discouraging about it? There's no new information there, just one writer projecting Cespedes' future performance and throwing out a suggested number. It says nothing about teams actually offering that number.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 39m39 minutes ago

Tigers have discussed yoenis, j-up, davis, fowler, desmond. Depends on $. may just go for platooner for LF tho (ie rebury)

Some fear mongering for all of you who are terrified of the Tigers.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 39m39 minutes ago

Tigers have discussed yoenis, j-up, davis, fowler, desmond. Depends on $. may just go for platooner for LF tho (ie rebury)

Some fear mongering for all of you who are terrified of the Tigers.

Tyler Collins, Maybin and Gose for 2/3rds of an outfield won't work.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)

John Danks is at $15.75 for 15 and 16.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
I'll go ahead & say it, I'd be very surprised to see the Sox get Cespedes or Upton. I think they'll turn their attention to the 2/3 tier guys.

That would be a major failure on their part. Major, major failure.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
After all of this time waiting, all of the talk and speculation, I still think the wisest move for the front office, in which he would be interested, is a 6 year deal, front loaded, with an opt out privilege for him after 2 or 3 years. How many of you share that view?

You literally keep saying this every other day but continue to ignore the fact that we're up against a budget this year. It's incredibly unlikely that we'll be able to front-load a deal for either of these guys.