Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

I'm still not that afraid of the Tigers. Not just because of the luxury tax penalty, but an enormous contract for Cespedes means there's no chance of extending JD Martinez when the time comes. They're still probably our #1 competition, but I don't see them throwing out an offer that we can't beat.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
I'm still not that afraid of the Tigers. Not just because of the luxury tax penalty, but an enormous contract for Cespedes means there's no chance of extending JD Martinez when the time comes. They're still probably our #1 competition, but I don't see them throwing out an offer that we can't beat.

That's the thing. I bet the White Sox would do something like 4 years at $88-$92 million. I can't see Detroit doing that though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
That's the thing. I bet the White Sox would do something like 4 years at $88-$92 million. I can't see Detroit doing that though.

If Detroit decides to go over luxury tax, then they'll be willing to pay more than the Sox...no doubt in my mind.

I keep forgetting about Jackson, although if they are going to get 2nd tier on an OF'er, Fowler would probably be the best get. A little younger than Cespedes & a 2-2.5 WAR per year type player. If they decide to do that & add a SP, I think that may actually improve the team the same if not more, unless Cespedes has another career year.

I think the true difference would be the dynamic of the line up.

Eaton

Fowler

Abreu

Frazier

LaRoche

Cabrera

Lawrie

Avila/Navarro

Saladinor

or

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

Cespedes

Frazier

LaRoche

Lawrie

Avila/Navarro

Saladino

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
If Detroit decides to go over luxury tax, then they'll be willing to pay more than the Sox...no doubt in my mind.

Ehh I'm not sure about that. With the luxury tax penalty the exact same offer from the Sox and Detroit means Detroit is paying significantly more. Their payroll is already higher than its ever been, I don't see them willing to go THAT far into unprecedented territory. And it will only get worse in 2017 and 2018. I know Ilitch likes to spend but this would be unusual even for him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Detroit Tigers Buzz ‏@tigersbuzztap 18m18 minutes ago

http://blessyouboys.com >> J.D. Martinez is recruiting Yoenis Cespedes http://buzztap.com/-5KYE5e

No where does an article say Martinez is actively recruiting Cespedes even the tweet said he hoped JD was recruiting. That picture is from a celebrity golf outing they both attended.

Everyone needs to relax, I have read more about Detroit not being in Cespedes unless his market drops significantly. We have heard basically zero out of our FO. I think they are confident and your seeing other teams moving on to other players or stating publicly they are out. I think all the DET bs the past day or so is an effort to drive the price up. We shall see

I don't understand the concept of the higher the price, the more likely the player is to sign with the White Sox. I don't understand it at all. These players aren't going to be so cheap that a team that is out on them will suddenly find the $20 + million a year to pay them. IMO, the longer it goes on, the more obvious no team is willing to pay them what they want which IMO increases the White Sox chances.

IMHO, the Sox not signing one of the 2nd tier free agents tells me the possibility of signing Cespedes still exists. I'm not counting on it but not ruling it out either. At some point Cespedes will have to realize he's not getting the 6/150M he seeks and lower his demands and the same goes for Upton. Lots of posturing going on with teams, FA players and their agents.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
I think Cespedes is holding up the market more than Davis is. But some of this has nothing to do with either of them https://t.co/ZqArou2jqZ

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/686654828148342790

Someone asked Jayson if Davis is holding up the market and his reply

I've been wondering if maybe it's Baltimore trying to make a trade for Cargo

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
So what is the more likely concession that Cespedes makes, the number of years, or the average annual salary?

IMHO, years without a doubt. I think teams are much more willing to pay a higher annual salary than commit to the years he seeks.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
I'd guess 5 for 108 is his final amount, with him not getting the 6 for 150 he thought.

The consensus here seems to be that the front office would not be willing to go there. So, if you're correct, where does that leave the Sox?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
I'd guess 5 for 108 is his final amount, with him not getting the 6 for 150 he thought.

If I had to guess, I bet Cespedes is asking for 6, but willing to drop to 5, while the Sox are asking for 3, but willing to go to 4. We'll see if someone blinks, or if someone else will jump in at 5. I'd bet 5 years gets him for sure, but we will see if someone offers it.