Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/trade-central-6/

Made me laugh....describing Frazier as a "hero" in Cincy.

Detailed trade/prospect analysis from BA. They're not very high on Montas holding up as a starter, either.

Some interesting stuff on Thompson's offensive surge as well.

What are the DRS numbers the past 2-3 seasons from Frazier???

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)
I feel like I just jumped into a time machine

Welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
I've seen lots of "never watching the Reds again" comments on Twitter from this trade...

They must've really liked Frazier.

hometown kid, homegrown kid, little league WS hero, HR derby winner. They absolutely loved him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
hometown kid, homegrown kid, little league WS hero, HR derby winner. They absolutely loved him

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
Did you watch the home run derby?

From Jersey, but yes, I know they loved him, but saying that they'll never watch their team again seems extreme to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
Ugh. This just hurts. There is a difference between being worth something on paper, and actually having the cash in hand to do it.

Except in divorce court.

Seriously, on another note, after looking at the prospects the Reds got, I don't see why they didn't deal directly with White Sox; the package we gave up to LA looks better than the package Dodgers gave up.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
From Jersey, but yes, I know they loved him, but saying that they'll never watch their team again seems extreme to me.

That is just the same talk that a few from every team's fanbase feels necessary when they are disgruntled. I'm willing to bet they watch the Reds opening day.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
That is just the same talk that a few from every team's fanbase feels necessary when they are disgruntled. I'm willing to bet they watch the Reds opening day.

I understand and agree. I'm just surprised by the sheer amount of people who were saying they were done with the team. It wasn't just one or two, it was practically every reply.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
I understand and agree. I'm just surprised by the sheer amount of people who were saying they were done with the team. It wasn't just one or two, it was practically every reply.

They were bad, and are now worse. Their team is hopeless for the foreseeable future. Except for MPWs (mediocre prospect worshippers) their team isn't going to appeal to people not related to the players.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
Really liked this trade until I heard his walk up music is Frank Sinatra. Does Hahn even know what he's doing!

:lol:

As long as he makes it My Kind of Town, I can deal with it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)

They ADORED him.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
You're missing my point....they can go in the red for a season or two without catching too much flack from the investors considering the ROI since purchase. I understand that the franchise's book value isn't a liquid asset, nor is any other business' value....but if that potential value is secure enough (can't get more secure than an MLB franchise), you'll never have an issue finding cash in any number of ways.

Please never be a position to make financial decisions for any company that I may have money invested in. You said they could literally have a $500 million payroll this year and still be okay. Where does this money come from? Do you think JR has a piggy bank that he keeps his fortune in? If Forbes is to be believed the franchise typically does profite but the profit margins are pretty slim. I can't imagine they have a stockpile of cash on hand.

Listened to Frazier yesterday and today. He seems really cool and should be good for this lineup, defense and clubhouse. Can't wait to see him play.

I'm going to say it again. I'll give a round of applause for turning an injury plagued Peavy into Avi (whether he pans out remains to be seen), JBW, Montas and Rondon. Which then turned into Lawrie and Frazier. Good job by the front office because no one really paid attention to those guys minus Avi.

I read a lot about Rondon and Montas. Even Wendelken (if that's how it's spelled). I even went and seen Rondon play in the minors. My hope is he turns into a helluva utility infielder. But to turn Montas and JB into those guys, one of which is an All-Star is pretty good. I'll bash these guys when they deserve it because they're in the paid to get it right business, but I'll also give them praise when they deserve it. So good job guys. Hope things turn out well.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Listened to Frazier yesterday and today. He seems really cool and should be good for this lineup, defense and clubhouse. Can't wait to see him play.

I'm going to say it again. I'll give a round of applause for turning an injury plagued Peavy into Avi (whether he pans out remains to be seen), JBW, Montas and Rondon. Which then turned into Lawrie and Frazier. Good job by the front office because no one really paid attention to those guys minus Avi.

I read a lot about Rondon and Montas. Even Wendelken (if that's how it's spelled). I even went and seen Rondon play in the minors. My hope is he turns into a helluva utility infielder. But to turn Montas and JB into those guys, one of which is an All-Star is pretty good. I'll bash these guys when they deserve it because they're in the paid to get it right business, but I'll also give them praise when they deserve it. So good job guys. Hope things turn out well.

Not to mention the fact that they also saved nearly $20 million in payroll by making the trade which left room in the 2014 budget to sign Abreu.

Frazier's pretty bad second half has me concerned, but he did the same thing in 2014 and still had a good first half in 2015. I just want a guy who can hit 30 home runs and get on at a .330 clip at third. I think more likely than not, Frazier can deliver that for the next two years.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Frazier's pretty bad second half has me concerned, but he did the same thing in 2014 and still had a good first half in 2015. I just want a guy who can hit 30 home runs and get on at a .330 clip at third. I think more likely than not, Frazier can deliver that for the next two years.

His career OBP is under .330 and last year it was .309. It is the one thing I don't like about Frazier (all of the other pluses outweigh this negative though).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
His career OBP is under .330 and last year it was .309. It is the one thing I don't like about Frazier (all of the other pluses outweigh this negative though).

Even with that in mind, he posted a .342 wOBA and a +4 WAR. Unless something catastrophic happens, he should post something close to 3 WAR.