Upton or Cespedes

TheTruth05

Upton or Cespedes?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Justin Upton
    • Yoenis Cespedes

QUOTE (soxsider11 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
What about adding span to play CF? I would honestly like span and upton with eaton sliding over. Defense is upgraded and adding two solid OBP to this team would really help

Span's defense went into the crapper last year

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
For me it's Cespedes. We've had interest at the trade deadline and do now. I like his experience in AL and this division even though he's 2 years older. He's better defensively and is a better hitter. He also doesn't cost a pick and has the Cuban connection with Abreu so that would help with Abreu and chemistry (maybe it doesn't matter at all). I just like Cespedes better for this team.

To be fair, Sox also had interest in Upton at the deadline, too. I think they end up with one of the two.

What about adding span to play CF? I would honestly like span and upton with eaton sliding over. Defense is upgraded and adding two solid OBP to this team would really help

Span's defense is subpar, but I wouldn't hate signing him to a reasonable contract. He hits for average, has decent speed, gets on base and wouldn't require anywhere near the huge investment Gordon, Cespedes or Upton qould require.

We have to remember that it's important to have payroll flexibility moving forward so the Sox can add other pieces and improve the roster in the future. Maxing out our payroll on an expensive free agent limits what we can do to improve down the road

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)
Span's defense is subpar, but I wouldn't hate signing him to a reasonable contract. He hits for average, has decent speed, gets on base and wouldn't require anywhere near the huge investment Gordon, Cespedes or Upton qould require.

We have to remember that it's important to have payroll flexibility moving forward so the Sox can add other pieces and improve the roster in the future. Maxing out our payroll on an expensive free agent limits what we can do to improve down the road

Wouldn't signing Span require giving up a draft pick or am I going crazy?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Absolutely fair. I didn't mean it in we've haven't had interest in Upton. Was just backing my pick is all. I'm good with either.

Me as well, man.

This means absolutely nothing but when I look at Justin Upton, I see him in a Sox uniform. It was the same for Lawrie.

I can kind of see Cespedes but not Gordon.

Means absolutely nothing but I hope my vision ends up being right. Would be a great exclamation point to their offseason.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
Me as well, man.

This means absolutely nothing but when I look at Justin Upton, I see him in a Sox uniform. It was the same for Lawrie.

I can kind of see Cespedes but not Gordon.

Means absolutely nothing but I hope my vision ends up being right. Would be a great exclamation point to their offseason.

I don't see Gordon because of his time with KC. I'm sure he's not a fan of CWS plus he's going to want to contend.

I can see Upton or Cespedes.

Span and Upton aren't happening with LaRoche still on the roster...

At best, you can afford one outfielder at this point.

A declining Span coming back to the AL Central doesn't quite make you a legit contender, either.

Need one more big bat and possibly Ramirez returning for one year to SS or another bullpen piece.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)

A declining Span coming back to the AL Central doesn't quite make you a legit contender, either.

Need one more big bat and possibly Ramirez returning for one year to SS or another bullpen piece.

IMHO, the two trades signal a big signing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)

Upton can for sure happen. Backload the deal.

So, the teams at least reported in Upton or Cespedes are the White Sox, Giants, Cardinals, Royals, O's, Nationals?, Angels.

Figure the Angels are out now. Cardinals GM said they don't wanna sign a big ticket FA. Giants have spent 220 million on pitching. O's could be waiting on Davis. Nationals could be a threat because they went after Heyward. Royals for Gordon.

What you guys think?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
So, the teams at least reported in Upton or Cespedes are the White Sox, Giants, Cardinals, Royals, O's, Nationals?, Angels.

Figure the Angels are out now. Cardinals GM said they don't wanna sign a big ticket FA. Giants have spent 220 million on pitching. O's could be waiting on Davis. Nationals could be a threat because they went after Heyward. Royals for Gordon.

What you guys think?

Angels are out on Upton now because they signed Daniel Nava? Thats kind of like us being out on Upton because we already have Avisail Garcia. Anyway, Angels have holes at DH and left field, and Upton would obviously readily play wherever Nava isn't...

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
Lets say the Sox sign Upton and put him in RF. They can't move LaRoach or Avi. Who would you rather see DH? Am I crazy to give Garcia most of the AB's at DH?

Oh god. neither, but if it were the case that we kept both Avi and Laroche, it would have to be a platoon with Laroche playing vs righties and Avi vs lefties. I hope to god were not in that situation...

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
Well the O's very well could be out on the big FA OFs. They just signed Kim

I doubt it to be honest. Kim's contract is cheap plus Kim can play not LF and 1B so the O's still have a hole to fill either way. If they intend on using Kim at 1B it probably means the O's are even more "in" for one of the FA outfielders. Imo, I think they go after Gordon's left handed bat.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
I doubt it to be honest. Kim's contract is cheap plus Kim can play not LF and 1B so the O's still have a hole to fill either way. If they intend on using Kim at 1B it probably means the O's are even more "in" for one of the FA outfielders. Imo, I think they go after Gordon's left handed bat.

Well they also have Trumbo.