Upton or Cespedes

TheTruth05

Upton or Cespedes?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Justin Upton
    • Yoenis Cespedes

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
Ha oh trust me I would love Cespedes. Not only do I think he's the best player but it would mean the most from a marketing standpoint since he was so visible last year with all that MVP talk once he got to the Mets. Then there's the Cuban Whatever it would end up being called pairing him with Abreu. Then start winning and it's Little Havana at the Cell every game. Would be a lot of fun. Add some Cuban drinks to the menu and Ricky Ricardo , Gloria Estafan music , have a Bongo Night giveaway and it's dancing in the aisles . :P

"Don't Stop now, boys" :hawk:

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Will White Sox sign an outfielder at some point this offseason? "It would seem so," Rick Hahn says.

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/677515512859910144

I think we need to temper expectations of who that OF may be. Based off Hahns comments on MLBN it seems he won't count out the big 3 but we would have to clear some room for one of them. I'm starting to think it won't be us who get these guys. Although they do have to sign somewhere, the market really on all three have been extremely quiet. Even at the winter meeting it was, you barely hear about Gordon or Cespedes. Seems like they are intent on waiting the offers out so I'm guessing nothing gets done before xmas.

I remember last year the Sox had set somewhat of a number that they wanted to keep at in terms on 2015 salary & they seemed to have filled that before they signed Melky, Bonifacio, or Beckham.

I guess my point out of that is that we may see a "soft" number but with LaRoche & Danks coming off the books next year & even after about $9M in increases with players under contract, they'll see a decent cap rise.

If they can get their guy, which I think is Upton if the price is right in terms of overall tag & 2016 salary, I think they do it. I wouldn't get too obsessed with a set number just yet.

There has not be one time this offseason where Rick Hahn has ever said he is satisfied with Avi in RF & has said multiple times they are looking to upgrade. Sure, it may not be one of the top three but I personally don't think it's asking too much to expect one of the top 3 or another option at this point.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
Just wait.

The Frazier move has everyone excited for the moment, but if that's it, the prevailing theme definitely will be how do you go back to all-in yet again but go about it halfway?

The White Sox would struggle to finish third in the division where they stand now.

would you just take your rain cloud to another corner and pout there?

Some people need to pump the brakes until something happens in the OF. Lots of smoke out there. Hahn doesn't want to give anything away. The market for the outfield, outside of Heyward, is slow. That definitely benefits us. I fully expect to snag one. I don't really mind which as long as it's one of the big name ones that can impact this offense. Cespedes just feels like he belongs here to me. I would love to see him behind Abreu. The Cuban Bombers baby!!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
would you just take your rain cloud to another corner and pout there?

Celebrate all you want, but the most important part of the offseason is whether or not JR will open the wallet on Upton, Gordon or Cespedes.

Do that, you win back everyone you've lost and skepticism diminishes almost completely.

Start Opening Day with Avi, Saladino and LaRoche in the line-up and expectations are tempered. Half-assed and pointless.

Hanley Ramiez, CarGo, Ethier, Blackmon, Peralta, Fowler, Span or Parra leaves you somewhere in-between. 3/4's of the way but that undoubtedly means the Tigers and/or Royals have one of Upton, Gordon, Davis, Desmond or Cespedes.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
Celebrate all you want, but the most important part of the offseason is whether or not JR will open the wallet on Upton, Gordon or Cespedes.

Do that, you win back everyone you've lost and skepticism diminishes almost completely.

Start Opening Day with Avi, Saladino and LaRoche in the line-up and expectations are tempered. Half-assed and pointless.

Hanley Ramiez, CarGo, Ethier, Blackmon, Peralta, Fowler, Span or Parra leaves you somewhere in-between. 3/4's of the way but that undoubtedly means the Tigers and/or Royals have one of Upton, Gordon, Davis, Desmond or Cespedes.

I'd really like to stick it to Detroit and get Cespedes. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
Can Raburn play the outfield defensively anymore? If so, I'd love a Parra/Raburn RF platoon.

You realize Raburn turns 35 in the first two weeks of the season...?

Parra's only 28, surprisingly. In theory, it would work. Raburn crushed lefties with over a 1.000 ops and Parra was a notch above 800 against righties.

It's not going to sell any tickets, but it just might be effective.

Of course, we had 3b platoons set up over the last three years that looked similarly promising on paper.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)

Couldn't disagree more. Most important part was acquiring MLB talent without giving up Anderson/Fulmer/Rodon/Quintana. I still wonder just how the Sox were able to get Frazier with what they gave up/Dodgers gave up. Supposedly the night before, the Reds were asking for either Danny Salazar or a package of C. Frazier, Zimmer and more. If the Cubs or KC made this deal, you would be upset that Hahn wasn't able to.

Started to make a post about how I wouldn't be at all disappointed by Ethier. Great OBP guy, presumably cheap to acquire, fits this two-year timetable thing we've got going. If you want a candidate for somebody to hit in front of Abreu, there's a candidate.

But he's so one-dimensional. He has to be kept out against lefties and we already have one guy like that. On top of that, he's old. Ethier could work but we'd need a very strong right-handed bench.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Couldn't disagree more. Most important part was acquiring MLB talent without giving up Anderson/Fulmer/Rodon/Quintana. I still wonder just how the Sox were able to get Frazier with what they gave up/Dodgers gave up. Supposedly the night before, the Reds were asking for either Danny Salazar or a package of C. Frazier, Zimmer and more. If the Cubs or KC made this deal, you would be upset that Hahn wasn't able to.

Still need another bat or it was a waste IMO. 2 years of Frazier/Lawrie isn't enough time to hope we don't still have black holes in RF/LF/DH/SS/C - not to mention Lawrie isn't a sure thing. Have to capitalize on potentially not having an embarrassing offense for once and not be half in half out.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
Still need another bat or it was a waste IMO. 2 years of Frazier/Lawrie isn't enough time to hope we don't still have black holes in RF/LF/DH/SS/C - not to mention Lawrie isn't a sure thing. Have to capitalize on potentially not having an embarrassing offense for once and not be half in half out.

It doesn't have to be one of the big free agents, but it is the move that makes the most sense. They do need someone who could hit in the middle of the order, and avoid giving up anymore prospects. As long as it is a productive hitter great. Too bad the 2005 Jermaine Dye isn't available for $5 million.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
They can make a big bat fit. Close to 30 mill of LaRoche and Danks off the books after this season can make it happen.

That's what it seems like. A bunch of these guys who have already signed took less in year one (Heyward included, I believe). Hopefully one of these big bats would be willing to do the same.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)

I agree. If Sox don't nab Upton or Cespedes (my preference, it's only $$), they most likely will be wearing the uniform of a division foe. The dreaded double whammy.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)

They don't have black holes in LF or at C though. Melky has to be better or they probably won't contend. Catcher platoon should be better than league average if they are healthy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)

I havent celebrated anything. I am happy with Frazier but I understand that without another move for an outfield bat, it really doesnt mean anything.

I also understand that it is December 17th and the offseason isnt done. Something you dont seem to understand while crapping all over every suggestion and idea