Future Sox' in-depth look at the prospects sent for Frazier

NorthSideSox72

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/626/article/p2p-85342200/

Trade from Dodgers' perspective.

Looks like Micah will be LH platoon partner with Kiki Hernandez at 2B (they didn't trade for Frazier directly because they were fearful Justin Turner's knee wouldn't hold up at 2B), Thompson figures as the 4th/5th OF (defensive replacement/PH) and then Montas could end up in the pen, AAA rotation or part of a package of/for Fernandez, Tyson Ross or one of the young Indians' starters.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
If you want an in-depth look at what the Sox gave up for Frazier, read this.

HUH???? He wrote on Thompson " His defense is definitely plus but his bat is nowhere the level he displayed the last several weeks of the regular season."

Actually Thompson hit .233 for Sept/Oct. He didn't display his bat the last several weeks. It was actually the month of August he was on fire hitting over .500.

Somehow the 92 win Dodgers can find a use for Micah. But Robin and his 76 wins couldn't fit him in. That might require platooning and late inning replacements on a regular basis. It's like the sox run the org. For the convenience of its limited field manager.

Sure they stick Sanchez and Saladino out there. They had no other choice. But they could have been more creative in their use and used Micah as well. But why bother when you have Alexei to take all the snaps and beckham to fill in.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
Somehow the 92 win Dodgers can find a use for Micah. But Robin and his 76 wins couldn't fit him in. That might require platooning and late inning replacements on a regular basis. It's like the sox run the org. For the convenience of its limited field manager.

Sure they stick Sanchez and Saladino out there. They had no other choice. But they could have been more creative in their use and used Micah as well. But why bother when you have Alexei to take all the snaps and beckham to fill in.

Its like you never even watched Micah and his stone hands and brick glove

They could've MAYBE used Micah as a pinch runner late in games, but then you'd have to put in someone else to play 2b since his defense is not late inning reliable. That's a wasted bench spot to me, something the Sox don't have the luxury of taking on for a one dimensional player. And for being 'fast', he didn't appear to be the best base runner either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/626/article/p2p-85342200/

Trade from Dodgers' perspective.

Looks like Micah will be LH platoon partner with Kiki Hernandez at 2B (they didn't trade for Frazier directly because they were fearful Justin Turner's knee wouldn't hold up at 2B), Thompson figures as the 4th/5th OF (defensive replacement/PH) and then Montas could end up in the pen, AAA rotation or part of a package of/for Fernandez, Tyson Ross or one of the young Indians' starters.

They have Utley for that role. They're going to spin Micah somewhere else.

Somehow the 76 win White Sox can find a use for an All Star 3B who hit 35 homers, but the Reds can't fit him in.

They sent Micah back so he could play every day and work on his defense. You love Sanchez. How much do you think these guys develop playing half the time?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
Its like you never even watched Micah and his stone hands and brick glove

My favorite was when Alexei went to short left field for a relay throw, Micah clearly not knowing what to do like an idiot and for some reason goes to cover first base which allowed the hitter to advance to second because nobody was there to cover. Was one of the most boneheaded and idiotic things I've seen from a position player.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
It should have been obvious years ago that Micah would never play 2B. Not sure what they were thinking.

OK back this one up a bit. First of all, "years ago" he was still a developing minor leaguer, and they all have warts. You don't give up at that point. Second, his speed and hit tool mean you have to keep giving him a shot and hope the defense improves. Third, there is no logical position move for him. He'd be even worse at short or third, and he'd be a disaster in the outfield with his twice-surgically-repaired arm that was fringy even for 2B even when healthy.

Basically, he's a 2B or he's not a pro ballplayer. And with his tools, the team had to give him a shot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)
OK back this one up a bit. First of all, "years ago" he was still a developing minor leaguer, and they all have warts. You don't give up at that point. Second, his speed and hit tool mean you have to keep giving him a shot and hope the defense improves. Third, there is no logical position move for him. He'd be even worse at short or third, and he'd be a disaster in the outfield with his twice-surgically-repaired arm that was fringy even for 2B even when healthy.

Basically, he's a 2B or he's not a pro ballplayer. And with his tools, the team had to give him a shot.

all true.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Let's watch the Dodgers use him somewhere other than 2B.

In fast motion with keystone cops music in the background.

He is terrible reading pop-ups. His arm is fringy and his throwing mechanics cause him problems that led to multiple surgeries. He's never played elsewhere in his pro career. Putting him in the outfield would be a comedy of errors, literally and figuratively.

They'll either flip him, use him as a AAA backup plan, or platoon him at 2B if they think he can handle it defensively at some level of competence. Or heck, bring him up in September purely for PH and PR work, like a lot of contending teams do nowadays for the stretch run - add a burner.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
I recall Kittle injuring his shoulder in 1984 jumping into the wall overhand at Comiskey. His career was never the same after that.

and i remember the coaches were having the cf'er cheat to help cover the grounds for kittle.

and kingman, that was so funny, he thought the ball goring to fall in front so he ran forward when the ball landed behind him on the warning track.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
How come you didn't speak up about the "mishandling" of Micah earlier?

I never saw the guy play in the minors, how was I to know how truly terrible he was? The minute he came up I said move him to third or LF and people said he had a bad arm. Well there have been a ton of left fielders who couldn't throw a lick. Not sure why that would be a big deal.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
I never saw the guy play in the minors, how was I to know how truly terrible he was? The minute he came up I said move him to third or LF and people said he had a bad arm. Well there have been a ton of left fielders who couldn't throw a lick. Not sure why that would be a big deal.

and at a certain time, we as fans as to assume that the coaches will have more info on him playing lf or 3b.

i was always leery of the idea of MJ playing for the sox. while his hit tools are noteworthy but where do a team plays him, 1b. dh??

i feel sorry for the kid, i am sure he is a great person who worked hard, but his defense???