Hahn on the Score at 9:30AM

Kyyle23

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
I still think Boers and Bernstein is the best radio show in the city. It's weird that it's so Anti-Sox because they have the most Sox fans at their station I believe. Bernstein, Goff, Mully, Laurence, Tannehill are all Sox fans. I think DeFalco is the only Sox fan on 1000.

No it's not. Bernstein hates anything that is "sports establishment." He will rip anything by older college coaches because of the control they have. He rips anything people say that isn't stat driven. He is basically trying to "intellectualize" sports and change the talent/scouting driven ideas that he is not part of. He basically wants to turn his version of sports into serious news because that's really where he would rather work.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
Chicago disagrees.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/11/24/wadd...aluable-to-mvp/

But you are right, Carmen is the only one at ESPN that is a Sox fan. However, most of the producers over at 1000 are Sox fans.

I'm just not really a fan of the ESPN product as a whole. I don't need Waddle's opinion on anything other than football. I was pretty much done with ESPN1000 when McNeil left. Carmen/Silvy was my favorite radio pairing ever however.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
I still think Boers and Bernstein is the best radio show in the city. It's weird that it's so Anti-Sox because they have the most Sox fans at their station I believe. Bernstein, Goff, Mully, Laurence, Tannehill are all Sox fans. I think DeFalco is the only Sox fan on 1000.

I stopped listening to WSCR years ago and Boers & Bernstein were one of the reasons. I thought they were the absolute worst.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
No clue where to put this, but John Smoltz just called Quintana a #3-4 type guy in the rotation.

It's amazing how underrated the guy remains but it's not surprising to hear it anymore. He could not let up a run next season and he'll finish 20th in the cy young race.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 06:54 PM)
It's amazing how underrated the guy remains but it's not surprising to hear it anymore. He could not let up a run next season and he'll finish 20th in the cy young race.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/appreciating-jose-quintana/

That's why I love this article. Author states that by pretty much any metric Quintana is at worst a top 15-20 SP in baseball, yet a lot of baseball fans don't think of him that way for whatever reason.

Wow! Let's view all organizations through the prism of Cubbiedom. That interview was embarrassing in many ways. They basically ambushed Hahn with the KW line of questioning, and they barely touched on the Frazier and Lawrie deals. Those two moves should help fill a couple of big holes without costing the top young prospects in the organization, and they are both pretty affordable.

The Sox don't need to do a total tear down. They have good young pitching in Sale & Qintana. Rodon was pretty good and looks to be really good. And they have a few more young arms on the way. They have a few good position players at the major league level (Abreu & Eaton). If they add a few more, they can contend. They just have to be able to identify players who will play to their historical numbers. They've missed badly on Smardijia, Dunn, & LaRoche. A few guys like Avi haven't had enough time to really evaluate, yet.

The idea of gutting this team is silly. 3/4 of the Sox infield looks to be good. The catcher position is probably on par with most teams. Starting pitching is decent. The bullpen is decent. They need an upgrade at one of the outfield spots, but I don't think they should be desperate and trade young talent or go overboard in paying a huge contract to Upton or Cespedes.

They've had a good offseason. I think Hahn should be commended for it.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
Wow! Let's view all organizations through the prism of Cubbiedom. That interview was embarrassing in many ways. They basically ambushed Hahn with the KW line of questioning, and they barely touched on the Frazier and Lawrie deals. Those two moves should help fill a couple of big holes without costing the top young prospects in the organization, and they are both pretty affordable.

The Sox don't need to do a total tear down. They have good young pitching in Sale & Qintana. Rodon was pretty good and looks to be really good. And they have a few more young arms on the way. They have a few good position players at the major league level (Abreu & Eaton). If they add a few more, they can contend. They just have to be able to identify players who will play to their historical numbers. They've missed badly on Smardijia, Dunn, & LaRoche. A few guys like Avi haven't had enough time to really evaluate, yet.

The idea of gutting this team is silly. 3/4 of the Sox infield looks to be good. The catcher position is probably on par with most teams. Starting pitching is decent. The bullpen is decent. They need an upgrade at one of the outfield spots, but I don't think they should be desperate and trade young talent or go overboard in paying a huge contract to Upton or Cespedes.

They've had a good offseason. I think Hahn should be commended for it.

Amen brother. I think any of the opinions that the Sox are "stuck in the middle" or "won't contend for a few years" or "need to suck it up and do a full rebuild" are beyond stupid. Way beyond. Like here's stupid, now drive 100 miles farther down stupidville road, go past Sale's mansion & Abreu's complex, take a right on Eaton road and past the better than average catcher's quarters, beyond the nice bullpens on the hill, stop and take in the sights at the stables full of young thoroughbreds and go jump in a hole. We don't need you. ?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 03:11 AM)
Amen brother. I think any of the opinions that the Sox are "stuck in the middle" or "won't contend for a few years" or "need to suck it up and do a full rebuild" are beyond stupid. Way beyond. Like here's stupid, now drive 100 miles farther down stupidville road, go past Sale's mansion & Abreu's complex, take a right on Eaton road and past the better than average catcher's quarters, beyond the nice bullpens on the hill, stop and take in the sights at the stables full of young thoroughbreds and go jump in a hole. We don't need you. ?

i like this, this is really creative.

way to go :cheers

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)

How many season ticket holders who were at best on the fence a month ago about renewing are now back in the fold?

That's the key question.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 12:16 AM)
How many season ticket holders who were at best on the fence a month ago about renewing are now back in the fold?

That's the key question.

Next season is probably a wash in ST sales though, right? They'll get a slight attendance bump if they are good and then hope to pick up some in 2017 and 2018.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
Next season is probably a wash in ST sales though, right? They'll get a slight attendance bump if they are good and then hope to pick up some in 2017 and 2018.

All we really know is that they gained 1,500 per game coming into this season but were likely to be down something like 3000 from that point just based on how disappointing the season was...especially for the fans who optimistically jumped back on board after 2013 and 2014 or who left after Dunn in 2011.

It's going to take one last big name to be close to a wash.

I guess if we see articles in the next week or so reporting renewed optimism due to Frazier...that will be a clue. Whether it's true or not, who knows.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 06:30 AM)
All we really know is that they gained 1,500 per game coming into this season but were likely to be down something like 3000 from that point just based on how disappointing the season was...especially for the fans who optimistically jumped back on board after 2013 and 2014 or who left after Dunn in 2011.

It's going to take one last big name to be close to a wash.

I guess if we see articles in the next week or so reporting renewed optimism due to Frazier...that will be a clue. Whether it's true or not, who knows.

i am soo conflicted on this. would the fans come out, if the sox does nothing else to fix the pieces of the team???? i wish i can really come up with a answer, but my gut tell me maybe. i think that the sox will make a serious run in the al central, but would the fans pay for that and that alone??

i really think the fans are smart enuf to know, the team needs a game breaking of'er.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 06:49 AM)
i am soo conflicted on this. would the fans come out, if the sox does nothing else to fix the pieces of the team???? i wish i can really come up with a answer, but my gut tell me maybe. i think that the sox will make a serious run in the al central, but would the fans pay for that and that alone??

i really think the fans are smart enuf to know, the team needs a game breaking of'er.

Yes, the last big move has to be for that power hitting OF. I know some like Cespedes and I like Upton. I would be much happier with the acquisition of either. I hope one or the other happens.

Why do the Sox need a power hitting OF per se? They have a power 1B and 3B.

I think Gordon would complement this team more. They need players to get on base.

That would allow them to platoon Melky and Avi (and contrary to cw, Melky wasn't that much better offensively than Avi was last year; he even walks less).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
They were last in home runs last year. They needed 3 hits in a row to score one run. Pretty clear why people want a power upgrade.

The Sox were also 2nd to last in OBP and 3rd to last in Doubles. Sox had 3 fewer HRs than the Royals...and 40 fewer doubles.