What is the Sox fall back OF plan ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
what's going on with Houston's outfield? They have four guys: Marsinick, Rasmus, Gomez, and Springer. One would think Gomez and Rasmus could be had for reasonable.

You forgot 1 more guy, Preston tucker. 25 year old who was a star at Florida as a senior. Went in the 7th round in 2012 and had an .867 ops in the minors up until being called up last year. Struggled a little in the majors but still managed a .734 OPS with 13 hrs in his 1st 300 big league AB's. Definitely a guy I would take a chance on. No idea what the Astros would want from us though

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
You forgot 1 more guy, Preston tucker. 25 year old who was a star at Florida as a senior. Went in the 7th round in 2012 and had an .867 ops in the minors up until being called up last year. Struggled a little in the majors but still managed a .734 OPS with 13 hrs in his 1st 300 big league AB's. Definitely a guy I would take a chance on. No idea what the Astros would want from us though

This is the guy I would like to grab from Houston. Profiles well for RF, LHB that hits for some power and would fit well in the middle of the order. Would absolutely love to see Tucker playing RF for the Sox and would be my preference.

I also like Marisnick and his defense but he doesn't hit much, at least not yet anyway. I'd still take a chance on him even though he is a RH hitter.

Supposedly Houston is looking for another SP, RP and a bat. Just not sure the Sox and Astros match up in a trade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)
This is the guy I would like to grab from Houston. Profiles well for RF, LHB that hits for some power and would fit well in the middle of the order. Would absolutely love to see Tucker playing RF for the Sox and would be my preference.

I also like Marisnick and his defense but he doesn't hit much, at least not yet anyway. I'd still take a chance on him even though he is a RH hitter.

Supposedly Houston is looking for another SP, RP and a bat. Just not sure the Sox and Astros match up in a trade.

Yeah, I'm sitting here trying to think of a trade scenario for Tucker and I pretty much have nothing. I feel like Houston's GM would just keep bringing the conversation to Sale/Q/ Rodon. Free agency is looking like the most likely option

Tucker's good, but not his brother (that was just drafted high this past June).

The White Sox won't be willing to trade Anderson or Fulmer, so that leaves Adams, essentially.

That's what it comes down to maybe, Tucker for Adams. Perhaps a riskier move for the White Sox, because of our lack of quality starting pitching depth right now in the system.

Beck is now perceived as more of a reliever, and Danish COULD be going in that direction. Montas is gone. That leaves Fulmer and Adams as the two best, with I suppose Guerrero following them but not with the same amount of buzz around him.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
Yeah, I'm sitting here trying to think of a trade scenario for Tucker and I pretty much have nothing. I feel like Houston's GM would just keep bringing the conversation to Sale/Q/ Rodon. Free agency is looking like the most likely option

Same here. I've been thinking about Tucker since last week when I read the Astros have too many outfielders and could be looking to trade from their depth. I have yet to come up with anything that would make sense for both teams. I just don't see it, unfortunately. Marisnick maybe, but not Tucker. Shame because Tucker would seem to be a great fit for the Sox needs.

I think you're right that it's likely free agency or a trade we haven't thought of yet.

Who are the best OBP type guys on the market? SS and OF.

This lineup, while improved with Frazier and Lawrie, still needs to improve in guys who can just get on base.

If they are willing to spend 18-20 a year on one of these OF, can they add 2-3 players who can help in the bullpen/possible starter, SS, OF. In other words, give Ventura lots of quality MLB depth.

*I don't think they are pursing this option since they are linked to the power hitting OF's.

That's the problem...I'm not sure there will be the same "open checkbook" from JR to add second/third tier pieces like Parra, Austin Jackson and another veteran starting pitcher even if the price would be the same or similar as the cost of signing one of Upton/Cespedes/Gordon in terms of payroll ($20-25 million added).

If you added Parra for $8-10 million, already you'd be quite limited in adding two more pieces (quality) for between $12-15 million more. You couldn't afford Gallardo, Parra and Austin Jackson, for example.

Maybe you could manage Parra, Jackson and Fister...but could you sell that to JR? How many times have we had that discussion about "getting stuck in the middle" and adding 2nd/3rd tier options and overpaying for their past performance (see Cabrera/LaRoche/Duke, etc.)

Definitely that idea of overpaying for a Fowler or Span instead of one of the big names and calling it quits is scary/disappointing for most Sox fans, although surely better than Avi. $12.5-15 million better, though? Not likely.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
That's the problem...I'm not sure there will be the same "open checkbook" from JR to add second/third tier pieces like Parra, Austin Jackson and another veteran starting pitcher even if the price would be the same or similar as the cost of signing one of Upton/Cespedes/Gordon in terms of payroll ($20-25 million added).

If you added Parra for $8-10 million, already you'd be quite limited in adding two more pieces (quality) for between $12-15 million more. You couldn't afford Gallardo, Parra and Austin Jackson, for example.

Maybe you could manage Parra, Jackson and Fister...but could you sell that to JR? How many times have we had that discussion about "getting stuck in the middle" and adding 2nd/3rd tier options and overpaying for their past performance (see Cabrera/LaRoche/Duke, etc.)

Definitely that idea of overpaying for a Fowler or Span instead of one of the big names and calling it quits is scary/disappointing for most Sox fans, although surely better than Avi. $12.5-15 million better, though? Not likely.

I'd love to know what their definition of 'all-in' means. I guess they can say they are trying to win it all if they a #4 #5 and #6 hitter to the lineup without losing much at the major league level.

I tend to think you're right - if they don't land a top talent, I don't think they will spend that same money on lesser free agents; perhaps, some bargain basement shopping, but probably not to the same spending levels.

To the list of OF names, add Desmond Jennings (rehab guy with a career .324 OPS) and Brett Gardner.

Can't imagine what we have that would make the Yankees want to part with him that we'd conceivably give up...but Gardner seems like the classic KW veteran whose peak has already come and gone and who is starting the downside of his career.

Inciarte would cost too much talent (although a huge improvement).

Bruce just has too much lingering questions about his health/recent performance/contract/NL to AL transition to seriously consider.

To the list of OF names, add Desmond Jennings (rehab guy with a career .724 OPS) and Brett Gardner.

Can't imagine what we have that would make the Yankees want to part with him that we'd conceivably give up...but Gardner seems like the classic KW veteran whose peak has already come and gone and who is starting the downside of his career.

Inciarte would cost too much talent (although a huge improvement).

Bruce just has too much lingering questions about his health/recent performance/contract/NL to AL transition to seriously consider.

Edited by caulfield12

Good grief, no way I would take Garza. He was pretty bad for the Brewers last in '15 and could be beyond Cooper's help. I'd prefer one more season of Danks/LaRoche over 2-3 more seasons of Garza.

Here's what Garza's contract looks like.

2016 32 Milwaukee Brewers $12,500,000 8.149

2017 33 Milwaukee Brewers $12,500,000

2018 34 Milwaukee Brewers *$13,000,000 $13M Vesting Option $5m team option if vesting terms not met

Earliest Free Agent: 2018

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
I would say the fall back plan is going to be stick with Avi and hope someone can get him to fix his s***...

From Hahn's comments last week, it seems to me the Avi shipped has perhaps sailed. He talked about his talent, but I don't think another year of experimentation is even a thought. He admitted he needed an OF.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
From Hahn's comments last week, it seems to me the Avi shipped has perhaps sailed. He talked about his talent, but I don't think another year of experimentation is even a thought. He admitted he needed an OF.

And by getting that OF, you now have the ability to ideally leverage a combination of LaRoche / Garcia / Melky to the best extent possible (thus maximizing all of their effectiveness). Avi in a more limited role is a much more valuable player, imo and it could also still provide him with the opportunity to expand his horizon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)

Plus for all we know, Avi may be unwilling to cooperate and make the changes the Sox staff see fit to get him to the next level.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
Good grief, no way I would take Garza. He was pretty bad for the Brewers last in '15 and could be beyond Cooper's help. I'd prefer one more season of Danks/LaRoche over 2-3 more seasons of Garza.

Here's what Garza's contract looks like.

2016 32 Milwaukee Brewers $12,500,000 8.149

2017 33 Milwaukee Brewers $12,500,000

2018 34 Milwaukee Brewers *$13,000,000 $13M Vesting Option $5m team option if vesting terms not met

Earliest Free Agent: 2018

Thanks for the numbers...I wouldn't touch that either, too many years to start with...

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
Thanks for the numbers...I wouldn't touch that either, too many years to start with...

I agree. If the Sox can get through just one more season they will have 28M more to work with but if they took on Garza's contract that number shrinks to 15M which might be enough to cover '16 contract raises for the likes of Sale, Q, Eaton and Abreu.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
I agree. If the Sox can get through just one more season they will have 28M more to work with but if they took on Garza's contract that number shrinks to 15M which might be enough to cover '16 contract raises for the likes of Sale, Q, Eaton and Abreu.

the only way i take this deal is, as it was said, the laroche contract - garza and add Brett Phillips and Jorge Lopez to the pkg.

Edited by LDF