What is the Sox fall back OF plan ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
If he was using the same approach and swing, yes it would be a waste. If they want to change some things up, it is worth a shot. Nelson Cruz was a failed AAAA player until he changed some things up and/or took some booster shots.

The example really doesnt apply as Laroche is a very accomplished MLB player who had a bad year. He was never a failed AAAA player. Laroche is going to go one of two ways, he either his skills have eroded from age, or he will rebound from a bad year.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
The example really doesnt apply as Laroche is a very accomplished MLB player who had a bad year. He was never a failed AAAA player. Laroche is going to go one of two ways, he either his skills have eroded from age, or he will rebound from a bad year.

I thought we were talking Garcia.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
After Melky, don't think they'd dip into that pool of former ped's players again so quickly when there are lots of more palatable options.

Melky has nothing to do with our potential signing of a player with a PED past. Plus, it's not like he was that bad where his performance would make us not want to sign another player with a questionable past. .273/12/77 is right on line with his career averages, PED year aside.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)
Cabrera was a disappointment. We can rationalize it later all we want.

Market now heating up for Parra, 7-8 teams in on him, Rockies want to deal one of their outfielders for pitching and then stick Parra in his place.

Rockies do not need Parra at all. 2 of their top 5 prospects are OFers. Tapia and Dahl should be ready within a year or two.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)
Crazy that they would go after him. Don't see the need. They aren't competing anytime soon.

Ya. Only thing I can think of is Colorado plans on trading CarGo for minor young pitching and sign Parra to replace him. In the next year or two as their young outfielders become MLB ready, they trade Blackmon and Dickerson to be out from under their increasing slaries and help replenish their minors a little. At that's how it looks.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Danks, Engel, Spencer Adams and Avasail Garcia for Braun and Peralta.

Good lord.

I am not sure that Peralta could make the Knights' rotation, much less the Sox.

and that's the best part of the trade.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 09:52 PM)
Rockies do not need Parra at all. 2 of their top 5 prospects are OFers. Tapia and Dahl should be ready within a year or two.

Tapia is still in A Ball and Dahl didn't exactly kill it last year. In the meantime, Parra gives stability and allows them to dump Cargo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
He strikes out a lot anyway. Open him up, change his swing plane and have him try to hit the ball 600 feet every AB. Maybe a different set up gets him a different look at pitches, and he could actually swing at something he could hit hard. Longshot I know, but staying the course isn't working.

I see no reason not to try this. Avi hits too many balls on the ground for a guy with his strength and size. If need be, invite Sammy Sosa to ST to show Avi the art of the upper-cut and how to swing for the fences in every at bat. :P

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
I see no reason not to try this. Avi hits too many balls on the ground for a guy with his strength and size. If need be, invite Sammy Sosa to ST to show Avi the art of the upper-cut and how to swing for the fences in every at bat. :P

Sammy could show him the art of corking bats and using PEDs. Ugh!!!

well, i have been waiting for this rumor / speculation, mil brewers / according to mlb rumors, will be looking to trade their assets. now, with ref to Sab statics, i really do not know the plus and cons, of their defense.

now, with some of their players, esp 1 player, K. Davis, i would even be willing to trade some of the price prospects.....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
We can have Ryan Braun...so there's that.

i have been waiting for the brewers to make some kind of move for the past month.

braun, length of contract, cost of salary, and the shadow of peds.

too risky for me, unless it will be a great one sided trade.

I guess my fall back option would be Austin Jackson. I'm not giving up a pick for Dexter Fowler... unless he is top notch defender but at the plate he isn't much different than Austin Jackson (over the careers).

They slash at

Jackson .273/.333/.399 .732

Fowler .267/.363/.418 .781

Career averages are both similar for power number

Jackson 32 Doubles 9 Triples 10 HR 20 SB

Fowler 29 Doubles 11 Triples 11 HR 20 SB

No idea on the fielder aspect, and to me I would expect Fowler to have better power numbers playing Colorado for 6 years. Jackson prior to the trade last year was still slashing .272/.312/.387 .699 OPS. For the price difference plus surrendering a pick I'm not sure that marginal offensive stats are worth it. Granted I am just looking at stats here and no clue how to rate defense. Also throw in Jackson outside his terrible 30 games in the NL has played in the AL his whole career.

Khris Davis would be nice but he's only played LF in the majors which means the Sox would have to play Melky or Avi in RF. Braun would be a nice bat to add but only if the Sox weren't expected to give the few remaining top prospects they have left.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
No way you get K.Davis for less than Anderson/Fulmer though...

The articles are all intimating the return would be higher in July because there's such a glut right now.

I agree with waiting until the deadline, especially for a cost controlled player such as Khris Davis. I think Milwaukee waits until next winter to unload Braun and his contract when there's much less outfielders available.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Khris Davis would be nice but he's only played LF in the majors which means the Sox would have to play Melky or Avi in RF. Braun would be a nice bat to add but only if the Sox weren't expected to give the few remaining top prospects they have left.

Sox will have to play Melky in RF if they sign Cespedes too