What is the Sox fall back OF plan ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Sox will have to play Melky in RF if they sign Cespedes too

True but its been rumored the Sox are interested in using Cespedes in RF. Not sure if there's any truth to that rumor, just some food for thought.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The longer this nonsense drags out with FA's the more I find myself hoping for a trade of some sort. At this point Cespedes/Upton are being unreasonable and I'm not overly impressed with the likes of Parra/Jackson/Fowler. Really straddling the fence on those three. Uhg.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
Many of us believe if the Sox don't sign one of the big 3 OFer's ( Gordon, Upton, Cespedes) that signing Frazier will have been a waste.

Needless to say signing one of the BIG 3 will be the richest contract ever given by the Sox. How likely is that ?

Would it be more likely the Sox pursue a guy like Fowler to play CF and who's OBP is very high to create a 1-2 OBPunch at the top of the order ? It would mean better OF defense but he's not even close to being the kind of impact bat Upton or Cespedes are. Still Eaton and Fowler at the top of the order would certainly give guys like Abreu and Frazier many opportunities to get RBI's. Maybe Fowler takes a 3 year contract and then the Sox have more room to sign that RH starting pitcher they have been reportedly seeking or add another BP piece like Albers. Or both.

Would this kind of back up plan be acceptable or seen as a 1/2 measure ?

Said signing one of the big 3 wasn't very likely because the contracts would be too rich and called the re-signing of Albers. That makes me 4 for 4 . Fowler and a RH starter and I'm 6 for 6 :P . Also spawned all the copycat threads that are going on now that Cespedes ship has sailed. I never really advocating signing Fowler since I'm not a huge fan of giving up any more draft choices but I can still see it happening. I just won't want it as badly as I wanted Cespedes. Blast away at what a dick I am if you must.