Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
I believe you but that's ridiculous for a player like Gordon. Man, NFL teams have it made. They get to cut guys and those 8 year deals mean nothing. They don't have to pay up like baseball teams do.

Think of all the guys the Sox would have just cut. LaRoche, Dunn, Melky, Rios.

yea thats not really true, because the NFL teams have salary caps. Cap hits mean something

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Uhhhhh...he is EXACTLY what this team needs. Literally the only negative about him is that he's 32.

Age, limited power, position switch from LF to RF, and the fact that his speed skill set will likely degress is what I'm talking about.

For the price, I'd much rather have upton. I'm not saying Gordon wouldn't help, but there are better options.

Edited by staxx

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Why does everyone want Gordon or Upton?

Am I the only one that would be ecstatic to see the Sox get Cespedes?

Honestly I think each of them brings one thing to the table that he does better than the other two. No matter which of the three the Sox were to get, it would really improve this team.

Gordon is the best defender and LF

Cespedes is the best powerhitter and RF.

Upton is the better all around player.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
Exactly - in a down year for Melky. He is as more of a bounce back candidate than LaRoche. He's 30 years old. Put a few more decent hitters in the lineup, he will see better pitches, and now he's getting another run at AL Central pitching, I think he will be fine.

Agreed, that's why we need him to rake at the dh spot and quit kicking it around LF. His bat isn't a question imo

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Age, limited power, position switch from LF to RF, and the fact that his speed skill set will likely degress is what I'm talking about.

For the price, I'd much rather have upton. I'm not saying Gordon wouldn't help, but there are better options.

He'd play LF. They're not signing Gordon, an elite LF, and moving him to RF.

He doesn't have limited power. He has 7 less HRs per 162 than Upton, while playing in a pitchers park that is hard to hit homers in his whole career versus Upton playing in Arizona's bandbox for most of his career.

I agree that age is the biggest factor, but if you can get him for a 4 years rather than 6 or 7 for Upton and/or Cesepedes, it ends up not mattering all that much in the end, for comparisons sake. I don't worry too much about Alex Gordon falling off a cliff of 34.

Regarding speed skillset - you could say that about any of the big three.

His positives - great OBP, excellent defense and left handedness far outweigh your perceived negatives in his game, IMHO.

That said, give me any of the three and I will be giddy.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
He doesn't have limited power. He has 7 less HRs per 162 than Upton, while playing in a pitchers park that is hard to hit homers in his whole career versus Upton playing in Arizona's bandbox for most of his career.

Regarding speed skillset - you could say that about any of the big three.

Responding to just these parts of your quote-

Upton and Cespedes don't rely on speed as much as Gordon does (defensively).

Gordon has 67 home runs both at Kaufmann and away from Kaufmann in his career. That's with 10 more games on the road for his career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Honestly I think each of them brings one thing to the table that he does better than the other two. No matter which of the three the Sox were to get, it would really improve this team.

Gordon is the best defender and LF

Cespedes is the best powerhitter and RF.

Upton is the better all around player.

Very well said.

I personally feel like Cespedes would be the best fit for the Sox at this point in time, but like many others have said, I'd be more than content if the Sox can get any of the 3.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
Responding to just these parts of your quote-

Upton and Cespedes don't rely on speed as much as Gordon does (defensively).

Gordon has 67 home runs both at Kaufmann and away from Kaufmann in his career. That's with 10 more games on the road for his career.

Gordon's great because he has fantastic instincts, not because he's Billy Hamilton out there

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
FRANK MOTHER f***ING THOMAS

Yes even the big hurt technically frustrated me more time than not.

My great grandmother was awesome. She was the biggest Sox fan I ever encountered and she always hated everybody on the team. It was just a matter of who she hated most (Ozzie Guillen). She was hilarious.