Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
Why give a response to guy who thinks Victor Matinez over Adam Dunn would have made up 16 games in the standings.

Yes, because clearly we lost the 2012 race by not 3 but 16 games.

When you sign a free agent, it has an impact over more than one year.

In fact, you wanted to being back Victor Martinez instead of LaRoche just two years ago. Obviously you were impressed by something about him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
Yes, because clearly we lost the 2012 race by not 3 but 16 games.

When you sign a free agent, it has an impact over more than one year.

In fact, you wanted to being back Victor Martinez instead of LaRoche just two years ago. Obviously you were impressed by something about him.

Victor Martinez didn't play in 2012, Dunn hit 41 homers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
Once again, when was the last time we made a move that simultaneously helped the White Sox and hurt an AL Central divisional rival at the same time?

To answer this, last week with the Frazier trade. The Indians were close to getting him, but they couldn't agree with the Reds on a package before we swooped in.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
Caulfield in full meltdown. His biggest nightmare, Royal hero a possible White Sox, and now he is back to the White Sox should have been in the playoffs this many times in the past. It is happening. Hahn making moves and the chronic whiners are melting.

hahaha..... i share some of his meltdown as you mention. i am happy with how hahn is doing this and again, it makes me wonder if last yr was his operation.

but in the past, well i am a huge believer that the sox should have been in the playoff more and that was the fault of the fo and higher. but everyone knows my rant on that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
Caulfield in full meltdown. His biggest nightmare, Royal hero a possible White Sox, and now he is back to the White Sox should have been in the playoffs this many times in the past. It is happening. Hahn making moves and the chronic whiners are melting.

Lol.

You have the opposite idea.

Every time Gordon makes a mistake for the White Sox, that will be your chance to jump all over him.

Gordon Beckham was so bad for us there was little need to rub it in, but I'm sure you won't be able to resist.

I'm also happy to know that we never even considered Victor Martinez over Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Lol.

You have the opposite idea.

Every time Gordon makes a mistake for the White Sox, that will be your chance to jump all over him.

Gordon Beckham was so bad for us there was little need to rub it in, but I'm sure you won't be able to resist.

I'm also happy to know that we never even considered Victor Martinez over Adam Dunn.

Just think, if the Roylas didn't give Alex Rios $12.5 million to stink up the joint, they could throw that money at Gordon. I love hindsight.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
Victor Martinez didn't play in 2012, Dunn hit 41 homers.

So your argument is that with Victor Martinez instead of Dunn from 2011-2014 we never would have made the playoffs?

The only reason we were so close in 2012 was probably related to that injury weakening Detroit relatively.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
So your argument is that with Victor Martinez instead of Dunn from 2011-2014 we never would have made the playoffs?

The only reason we were so close in 2012 was probably related to that injury weakening Detroit relatively.

Considering the only year we were anywhere close to the playoffs was 2012, when Martinez didn't play and Dunn had a good year, then yeah, it's a pretty safe bet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)

Yes.

I think anyone who actually looked at it, would conclude the same thing. Martinez is better, but the only time 1 player could have made a difference for the White Sox at that time was the year Victor didn't play because he was injured during the offseason. Dunn was helpful that year. Victor would have been able to contribute as much as you or me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)

Dude...what the hell does any of this have to do with Gordon. Please create another thread for this poppy-cock. This is the thread to discuss Alex Gordon not Victor Martinez, Adam Dunn and Paco Martin.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Just think, if the Roylas didn't give Alex Rios $12.5 million to stink up the joint, they could throw that money at Gordon. I love hindsight.

Clearly all of their other offseason and trade deadline moves backfired in an equally spectacular fashion.

Clearly having the minor league system to add both Cueto and Zobrist without paying either anything saved a lot more money than Alex Rios cost them last year.

Actually, the likes of Guthrie, Vargas and Infante cost them even more.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
Clearly all of their other offseason and trade deadline moves backfired in an equally spectacular fashion.

Clearly having the minor league system to add both Cueto and Zobrist without paying either anything saved a lot more money than Alex Rios cost them last year.

Actually, the likes of Guthrie, Vargas and Infante cost them even more.

Ok...so go make a post that says..quit following the Sox because all of their past moves suck and move on. None of this has to do with the topic at hand. This is my last and final warning...enough of this nonsense. If you want to post in this thread, post about Gordon...if you want to post about all the other moves the sox could have done and how their past destines them for failure than create another thread or just give up cause what joy is their in even following a team if you truly think they never have any chance of ever succeeding based upon the past.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
Really hope this is just the Sox trying to get either Cespedes or Upton's price down. Gordon is a great player, but he is not the player I want the Sox to sign. His age is cause enough for concern for me.

Honestly he was the one I wanted most ahead of the frazier/lawrie signings. Now I'm intrigued by the possibility of having a team with above average power, but I still think the benefits of adding a top def LFer (which improves our pitching) that also helps our offense would be incredible.

But I like all of em.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
So who would move to RF? Melky or Gordon? I am thinking Melky. He will be brutal but Waton should be able to help him a bit more, and one thing Melky does really well defensively is throw.

I still say Gordon but I understand the argument to not move a guys strength into an unknown. Or maybe all of this truly is a smoke-screen to bid up the Royals price and give further leverage for someone like Cespedes. To be frank, as long as money / years are right, given team needs, I can't see how Sox could go wrong with either of these guys (based upon facts known today).

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
This is entertaining. I like watching two grown men argue about absolutely nothing important on the internet. :D

Ya, there's definitely a Kardashian feel to the thread now. :lol:

Ok, back to Gordon. He's the last of the three I would sign but I would still be happy if the Sox did sign him. There would be no disappointment on my end.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Ok...so go make a post that says..quit following the Sox because all of their past moves suck and move on. None of this has to do with the topic at hand. This is my last and final warning...enough of this nonsense. If you want to post in this thread, post about Gordon...if you want to post about all the other moves the sox could have done and how their past destines them for failure than create another thread or just give up cause what joy is their in even following a team if you truly think they never have any chance of ever succeeding based upon the past.

THANK YOU!

His age is always a concern, but he seems to be getting smarter as a hitter. If he signed for 5 years, you would have him through his age 36 season. USCF isn't a bad place for aging OF. And Paulie was fine his age 36 season until his wrist gave way. He was hitting .400 in May. MGordon seems more athletic. Any way you slice it, you probably have to give any of these OF a contract until they are at least that age.

Edited by Dick Allen