Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Honestly he was the one I wanted most ahead of the frazier/lawrie signings. Now I'm intrigued by the possibility of having a team with above average power, but I still think the benefits of adding a top def LFer (which improves our pitching) that also helps our offense would be incredible.

But I like all of em.

Any three of them is an improvement to the team, I just would prefer to not take a chance on a guy that is most likely going to start declining over the contract.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
Any three of them is an improvement to the team, I just would prefer to not take a chance on a guy that is most likely going to start declining over the contract.

They should all decline over the course of the contract. The younger guys will get a longer term.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
His age is always a concern, but he seems to be getting smarter as a hitter. If he signed for 5 years, you would have him through his age 36 season. USCF isn't a bad place for aging OF. And Paulie was fine his age 36 season until his wrist gave way. He was hitting .400 in May. MGordon seems more athletic. Any way you slice it, you probably have to give any of these OF a contract until they are at least that age.

I also think he will age well. He has a good eye, he makes good contact. He will decline to a .720 OPS player at that age? It's not ideal but I think all of us are also assuming 16-18 mill not $20 mill, and I imagine by 2021 $18 million will be a 1.5 War player

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
I also think he will age well. He has a good eye, he makes good contact. He will decline to a .720 OPS player at that age? It's not ideal but I think all of us are also assuming 16-18 mill not $20 mill, and I imagine by 2021 $18 million will be a 1.5 War player

With all of the good talk on this Gordon thread I'm beginning to be sold even on him. Go Sox!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Ok...so go make a post that says..quit following the Sox because all of their past moves suck and move on. None of this has to do with the topic at hand. This is my last and final warning...enough of this nonsense. If you want to post in this thread, post about Gordon...if you want to post about all the other moves the sox could have done and how their past destines them for failure than create another thread or just give up cause what joy is their in even following a team if you truly think they never have any chance of ever succeeding based upon the past.

2005 happened, obviously. Greatest season for every Sox fan, and a complete shock from start to finish.

That doesn't mean that we haven't been on the wrong side of these transactions where the balance of power shifts in the division where one wrong move has cost the White Sox a playoff spot. It's human nature to regret what could have been, whether it's the lost strike year or Carlos Quentin losing his temper in 2008. Some are better about having short memories than others. Players certainly can't think in those terms or they always will fail since success in the sport is defined by lack of success 70% of the time.

If there wasn't that long history of disappointment like Sox fans have constantly faced, seasons like 2000 and 2008 would be afterthoughts for the typical bandwagon Yankees, Red Sox or Cardinals fan. They are highlights for us.

Even though there was a feeling the 2008 team was going nowhere against TB on the road, the last month (especially winning three games in a row and finally, just once, conquering the Twins) or the last team at Old Comiskey that missed the playoffs gave me nearly an equal amount of joy as a fan. For that matter, it's also the reason Cubs' fans don't give up, either.

The end.

Back to Alex Gordon.

Edited by caulfield12

For the Sox, I think Gordon's defense is paramount. He probably would have won the GG over Cespedes (.980%, lowest OF in years) had he not spent so much time on the shelf. Also, in comparison, I'm guessing that Gordon probably would have backed up the famous Blake Swihart (yep, you read it correct) inside the park HR during which Cespedes never took his hands off his knees. Gimme Alex please!

QUOTE (Moe @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
For the Sox, I think Gordon's defense is paramount. He probably would have won the GG over Cespedes (.980%, lowest OF in years) had he not spent so much time on the shelf. Also, in comparison, I'm guessing that Gordon probably would have backed up the famous Blake Swihart (yep, you read it correct) inside the park HR during which Cespedes never took his hands off his knees. Gimme Alex please!

I will take any of the three

The net changes defensively have us a liitle bit ahead of last year's team.

Frazier a clear upgrade, Lawrie a downgrade compared to Sanchez, Avila and Navarro could be better than Flowers (especially throwing out runners, if you look at Tyler's entire Sox career) but not especially counting on it based on health concerns.

Then you just don't know about the chemistry of Lawrie and Saladino as a dp combo and how much Eaton can revert to 2014 form defensively.

From that perspective...continuing to improve the defense as an aggregate and having a role model/mentor/coach on the field, Gordon does make a lot of sense. Cespedes' arm and athleticism lead to the highlight reels both positively and negatively when on defense, but he can be a negative influence as well from everything you read. That has never been a Gordon fault/flaw, and has his share of warts, too.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm fine with Gordon on a 4 year deal, but 5 scares me. Highly unlikely he's worth $20M or more in years 4 and 5 in my opinion. A slight natural decline in his hitting combined with his fielding going down to a slightly above average level and he suddenly becomes pretty mediocre or a little better.

i followed most of what was said and i finally came to conclusion. i am more lost as to who i want of the big 3. leading up to today, i was sold on 1 players. but all the compelling arguments on all 3.

great job guys, you made this a interesting thread for me to read. :cheers

Yeah, there's still Puig (although all the talk is centered on Ethier, Crawford and Van Slyke to a lesser extent) but the belief the Dodgers were going to basically dump him is gradually fading, Marcell Ozuna, Inciarte, CarGo/Dickerson/Blackmon, Jay Bruce, Jorge Soler, Brett Gardner, Desmond Jennings (rehabbing/buy low candidate)...

That said, we don't have the talent at the minor league level unless we're at a minimum willing to part with Adams, and the ask for a lot of the others would be Anderson, Fulmer or some combination of the 3.

Ozuna was a 4.5 WAR guy just two years ago, Loria wants to get rid of him..but the White Sox don't have the pieces to acquire him still remaining in their system.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 08:20 PM)
I'd laugh hysterically if we ended up with numerous threads/pages on these three outfielders and the Sox end up trading for an outfielder instead. Fans lookin' fastball and the Sox throw a change up.

We had threads on Lawrie and Frazier so we can hit their best cheese :hawk:

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
We had threads on Lawrie and Frazier so we can hit their best cheese :hawk:

I tweeted to the Sox a little bit about Lawrie, they got him. I tweeted to the Sox a lot about Todd Frazier, they got him. Now, I've been tweeting at them a lot to get Justin Upton (TBA). Hopefully it happens!

Recent news/rumors

John Smoltz is replacing Harold Reynolds on FOX National Broadcasts...

Jackie Bradley, Jr., might be in play

KC potentially targeting Trayce Thompson, Van Slyke, Kiki Hernandez and Alex Guerrero from LAD for relief help (Herrera, Hochevar, etc.)...as well as CarGo

http://www.royalsreview.com/2015/12/16/103...ing-alex-gordon

Most recent article on the Royals' negotiations or lack thereof with Gordon

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
Recent news/rumors

KC potentially targeting Trayce Thompson, Van Slyke, Kiki Hernandez and Alex Guerrero from LAD for relief help (Herrera, Hochevar, etc.)...as well as CarGo

That article was from 6 days ago. We knew that 6 days ago.

No interest in JBJ.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
Recent news/rumors

It's amazing that in a thread about a Royals free agent where you are encouraged to talk about that specific free agent, you manage to not talk about that free agent and instead talk about other players the Royals are targeting. And John Smoltz

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
It's amazing that in a thread about a Royals free agent where you are encouraged to talk about that specific free agent, you manage to not talk about that free agent and instead talk about other players the Royals are targeting. And John Smoltz

:lol: Why am I not surprised?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)

Do you really want a separate thread on John Smoltz replacing Harold Reynolds with FOX?

The main reason I included that was because Trayce Thompson is one of the targets...once again, do we want a separate thread about that topic alone (interest in a former White Sox player by another team seemingly being of interest to MOST SoxTalk posters)?

Should I start a separate Jackie Bradley, Jr. thread?

Trayce Thompson

Trayce also big time bloodlines as the son of former NBA player Mychal Thompson and the brother of Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson. Thompson made his Major League debut in 2015, appearing in 44 games with the White Sox before being dealt to the Dodgers this winter in the three-team Todd Frazier deal. Thompson was a second-round pick by the White Sox and has shown a nice blend of power and speed, with 20/20 potential as a centerfielder. However he has also shown little plate discipline, striking out 26% of the time with a 6.6% walk rate.

He hit well once he was promoted to Chicago this year, hitting .295/.363/.533 in 133 plate appearances with five home runs. His walk rate surged with the White Sox to 9.6% while he cut down on his strikeouts, although there are small sample size issues. Thompson is 24 years old, so his ceiling is not high, but he has power and speed, which the Royals will love, and his right-handed bat could fit in the lineup well.

Edited by caulfield12