Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

Personally, I think Gordon would be absolutely awesome on this team. Plus defender in LF, solid OBP to slot in at the 2 hole, some power, good base runner, only downside is potentially his age. Even with a 4 yr contract though, you only have him til 36.

Edited by Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
I really don't see how Gordon would be that motivated regardless of where he signs. He's already won a World Series title and got a huge contract...what else is that important to him at this point? Unless he's a true competitor, I think his best years are behind him.

The motivated thing was just for a little extra motivation. You always hear about how facing your old team is added incentive. I think he's a professional and being out on the field to earn your money is motivation enough . Upton's and Cespede's best years might be behind them too. Who knows ? Yes I'd rather have one of them but really you would actually be upset at getting Gordon ? I'd be thrilled that the Sox actually got one of them at all.

Gordon brings more OBP than any of the other players being listed. He also brings the best defense to the equation. I personally think we can't go wrong with either of the three guys (as long as the contract is right). If Gordon happens to be the guy getting less money / years thrown his way, I'd consider biting him. I think he'll get a decent chunk less than the other two. Each player has consistently been worth roughly 4 WAR and are all huge upgrades over Avi.

The Sox could at least make an offer, just to influence the amount KC ultimately has to shell out to resign him.

As has been mentioned, he will probably give them a hometown discount, but it would still be nice to make the contract as big of a burden as possible, for our division rivals, .

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
The motivated thing was just for a little extra motivation. You always hear about how facing your old team is added incentive. I think he's a professional and being out on the field to earn your money is motivation enough . Upton's and Cespede's best years might be behind them too. Who knows ? Yes I'd rather have one of them but really you would actually be upset at getting Gordon ? I'd be thrilled that the Sox actually got one of them at all.

That's a fair point...as I'd rather have Gordon over nothing, but he certainly isn't my first choice. I'd be much happier with Cespedes or Upton.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
Gordon is a good ball player but I'd pass on him. The Sox can probably get Upton for a little more money who's 5 years younger.

Might be $50M more . If that's a little more I need to retire and need $1M . Can you swing it ? Actually 3.5 years younger. Please do not screw with the facts when making a point. It's easy to look up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
Gordon brings more OBP than any of the other players being listed. He also brings the best defense to the equation. I personally think we can't go wrong with either of the three guys (as long as the contract is right). If Gordon happens to be the guy getting less money / years thrown his way, I'd consider biting him. I think he'll get a decent chunk less than the other two. Each player has consistently been worth roughly 4 WAR and are all huge upgrades over Avi.

No doubt. 32 is not ancient by any means (hell quite a few guys had career years at 35 for example) and the guy can bring it with the glove and bat. (he was hurt last season and still was near a 3 WAR player) Also like he knows the AL pitchers here. I'm sure he won't mind being teammates with Sale. :lol:

A little nervous with Gordon coming off an injury that caused him to miss significant time and his age of 32. Would prefer Upton or Cespedes for the offensive impact, BUT if you could get Gordon on a reduced price and then have some $$ to go after either a 2nd outfielder like Parra or Jackson, and then have some $$ left for a RHP, then you might have something...

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
A little nervous with Gordon coming off an injury that caused him to miss significant time and his age of 32. Would prefer Upton or Cespedes for the offensive impact, BUT if you could get Gordon on a reduced price and then have some $$ to go after either a 2nd outfielder like Parra or Jackson, and then have some $$ left for a RHP, then you might have something...

I think you overestimate how much money they would have left.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
A little nervous with Gordon coming off an injury that caused him to miss significant time and his age of 32. Would prefer Upton or Cespedes for the offensive impact, BUT if you could get Gordon on a reduced price and then have some $ to go after either a 2nd outfielder like Parra or Jackson, and then have some $ left for a RHP, then you might have something...

That's what I've been saying. The Sox search for another RH starter has all but been forgotten at Soxtalk and the starting pitching depth is bad now. No matter who the Sox get to play the OF , one injury to any Sox top 3 starters might negate the gains the offense makes.

Sox really need Sale ,Q, and Rodon to be healthy and Eric Johnson to be good and healthy. Because Rodon and Johnson will be limited in amount of innings pitched if the Sox do make the playoffs they might have gassed pitchers and you severely test Sale's arm at that point.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
Gordon was just fine for them in the playoffs. He's healthy I'm not too worried about that. My concern is he isn't going to strike fear like a Cespedes does. I won't crush the signing.

We don't need someone to "strike fear". Gordon brings tremendous defense, decent hitting, and comes from a winning background. That's what we need.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Hypothetically though, if the Sox signed one of the 3 elite outfielders, Parra, and found a way to get rid of Avi

I think that's far too hypothetical to happen. Plus, if we signed Parra, it would make Melky DH, meaning that we'd also have to rid of LaRoche in this scenario.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
Hypothetically though, if the Sox signed one of the 3 elite outfielders, Parra, and found a way to get rid of Avi, what would happen to J.B. Shuck?

I don't know about you guys, but I thought he was very good 4th outfielder/pinch hitter last year.

They are not signing two $10 million plus outfielders

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
I think you overestimate how much money they would have left.

Yea I didn't want to dash hopes but maybe with Gordon it's possible to get another starting pitcher but not a SP and another FA OF. And even with Gordon I wouldn't expect anything huge, just insurance with a starting pitcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
They are not signing two $10 million plus outfielders

And they shouldn't. A team with the Sox payroll can't add two more expensive outfielders when you already have the money invested in Melky (plus have Eaton). I personally think we are golden if we get one outfielder. Might like an upgrade in the rotation / pen, but the lineup would look nice. LaRoche/Avi can platoon at DH (with Melky ocassionally playing their as well)....plus you have Shuck who can bring some plus defense and solid offense off the bench. Sanchez as the super sub and either Saladino or Ramirez at SS.

I have a feeling the Sox dont sign any of these big three. I predict them to pretty much stay put where they are at in payroll right now (outside of signing a cheap SS option and other odds and ends) and see how the team plays with the option to rebuild come the middle of summer or add a big name at that time depending on how they are producing.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
Unless they somehow free up some cash from an unexpected player move (maybe?) or they're able to get rid of Laroche (no chance in hell)...

LaRoche is only being paid $13 million. There still wouldn't be enough to sign Cespedes/Upton/Gordon and Parra.