Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
The funny thing is, if you sign Cespedes or Upton, when they get to be Gordon's age, at least Cespedes, the contract is going to look a lot like one people don't want to give Gordon.

We all have to remember it's free agency. It's all an overpay for the most part.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
We all have to remember it's free agency. It's all an overpay for the most part.

Unfortunately it's something the White Sox have to do in terms of position players because they can't seem to develop their own. Makes it easier with the cheap top notch pitching they have.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
Unfortunately it's something the White Sox have to do in terms of position players because they can't seem to develop their own. Makes it easier with the cheap top notch pitching they have.

True, but if they land one of these guys, they improve 4 positions without giving up one of their top prospects and without giving up Q, who many thought dealing was the only way to get back to a relevant offense. I would call that pretty creative.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
True, but if they land one of these guys, they improve 4 positions without giving up one of their top prospects and without giving up Q, who many thought dealing was the only way to get back to a relevant offense. I would call that pretty creative.

Creative is the key there and that's a word Hahn used. Let's see if they land one and if they do, then kudos to Hahn and company.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Upton is what 4 years younger? So, say you do a 6 year deal at $21M per. When Upton hits 32 years, he'll have 2 years left vs Gordon who would sign a similar deal at age 32 for say 4 years. The difference is the two years & that's my concern.

I think he'll produce well enough for that AAV in the first few years of his deal but worries me on the last half.

They could always give an opt out when Upton turns 32. Then he could look for a 4-5 year deal forfeiting his final 2-3 years of a 6-7 year deal.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
They could always give an opt out when Upton turns 32. Then he could look for a 4-5 year deal forfeiting his final 2-3 years of a 6-7 year deal.

But you still would be in the same boat, if not worse. If he doesn't opt out, it means he can't get paid more money which means he must have sucked. Upton would be my first choice because of age and power. I could see Gordon as his age probably makes him a little cheaper, he hits lefty, won't have to adjust to the AL, and is the better defender. Cespedes, could be better than the others, but it does concern me that his big year after his welcome to America breakout, was his walk year. He had so ho hum years in Oakland, and his time in Boston supposedly IIRC included problems with coaches.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)

Sox have shoved 4 ML ready position players out there in the last 2 years. We'll see how they hit. And with the flaws, the hitters sent to the As hit better than the average Sox hitter. We'll see what Trayce and Micah do.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
Gordon could become a DH, for the final year or two of a 5 year deal, when he is likely to slow down. Knowing the Sox and their organization, they will probably be in a position where they could use one, in 3 years.

They are usually in a position where they hav 4 or 5 DHs playing in the field

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:41 PM)
They are usually in a position where they hav 4 or 5 DHs playing in the field

and you got a point, yrs from now, as the players get older, who know how they will preformed.

but for me, before the sox get to that point, they really need to get thru this rebuilding of sorts.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
and you got a point, yrs from now, as the players get older, who know how they will preformed.

but for me, before the sox get to that point, they really need to get thru this rebuilding of sorts.

If we want to call it a rebuilding then we are one power hitting OF away from what could be a very good team. 2016 could be a very exciting season. We need that power hitting OF.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
If we want to call it a rebuilding then we are one power hitting OF away from what could be a very good team. 2016 could be a very exciting season. We need that power hitting OF.

rebuilding, retooling or whatever someone wants to call it, the sox have done great and i would caveat that by saying, as long as they pick up a of'er that we the fans are thinking about.

the 2016 really have no power hitters.... but if the sox did pick up that of'er, they can use 2016 to test the waters so to speak on team unity.

here is a question. does anyone really think the sox really need an additional sp???

Joel Sherman reporting that the #WhiteSox talks with OF Alex Gordon are "very real" on MLB Tonight just now. Also said that as the market progresses, prices on these FAs will go down, which in turn will create more interest from all teams.

FWIW, the first thing Joel said when he opened his mouth was the tidbit about Gordon & the Sox.

Edited by SoCalSox

f***, I'm tired of having the slowest game of pong ever played going on in my head. I never thought the Sox would legitimately be in on any of the three but since the rumors came out my preference has been Cespedes. Now the Gordon rumors have surfaced and while I'd be happy with him, he has always been third on my list primarily due to his age. Now I'm thinking, if the Sox are going to spend that much money then go for broke and make a strong push for Upton. Man, I'm so confused. :huh:

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
I just read something that he wants $20 for at least 5 years.

I'm leery of tying up at high salaries for any of these guys more than 3 or so years.

I can't see him getting any more than 4 years, personally & I can't see him getting $20M AAV but I could be wrong.

"The Royals have been told by Alex Gordon‘s camp that they have “no chance” to re-sign their franchise cornerstone as things currently stand, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Gordon’s camp is seeking a contract that will pay him upwards of $20MM per season, and Heyman hears that Kansas City has only offered four years, noting that Jim Bowden reported at ESPN that the annual value of said offer is believed to be in the $12-13MM range."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/roya...lex-gordon.html

If that's the case, then I really hope the Sox go for Upton or Cespedes. Imo, Gordon isn't worth 20M+ annually for 5 years or more. f*** that!

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
"The Royals have been told by Alex Gordon‘s camp that they have “no chance” to re-sign their franchise cornerstone as things currently stand, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Gordon’s camp is seeking a contract that will pay him upwards of $20MM per season, and Heyman hears that Kansas City has only offered four years, noting that Jim Bowden reported at ESPN that the annual value of said offer is believed to be in the $12-13MM range."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/roya...lex-gordon.html

If that's the case, then I really hope the Sox go for Upton or Cespedes. Imo, Gordon isn't worth 20M+ annually for 5 years or more. f*** that!

NO, NO, NO!!!!

I will be extremely upset if the Sox give Gordon a 5 year/$100 million or more deal.