Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
NO, NO, NO!!!!

I will be extremely upset if the Sox give Gordon a 5 year/$100 million or more deal.

I know the Sox desperately need a middle of the order bat but if that's truely what Gordon is seeking then f*** him! If the Sox can scrounge up 20M annually then spend another 5M or so and sign Upton or Cespedes.

Please Rick, don't sign this clown for that kind of money.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
I just read something that he wants $20 for at least 5 years.

I'm leery of tying up at high salaries for any of these guys more than 3 or so years.

I'd rather not do a contract like that for Gordon but, for one of the other two RH will have to.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)
I'd offer Gordon 4/70 and if he declines, f*** him and go all in for Cespedes or Upton.

Look, the price of poker goes up every year. If the Sox pass on Gordon but fail to sign Cespedes or Upton, they're screwed. As are we as fans. I have no problem with them signing Gordon to a five year contract for more than what most of us appear comfortable with. Hard to be a GM when you got to plug holes via free agency.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
We've never paid a $100 mil contract so how could it be "such a white sox move"?

The 100 mill part isn't. The contract blowing up in out faces certainly is common, as is impatient negotiation (much improved with Hahn). There don't seem to be many suitors, so there's no reason to give him what he wants. Just beat KC's offer, which 4/$60 would accomplish, and wait.

In the end, many orgs can grow their own outfielder or platoon 2 Guys and get 80% of what these guys produce at 20% of the cost.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
We've never paid a $100 mil contract so how could it be "such a white sox move"?

I was referring to the Danks/Dunn/LaRoche deals. Though they were under $100 million, they still blew up in our faces.

I just hope this wouldn't be the same if they did throw that much money at him.

It'd be nice if Rick was able to give all of us the Christmas gift Chuck Garfein mentioned RH wanted to give us all for the Holidays. It'd be awesome if he announced a signing at midnight tonight. I don't know what to think about the Gordon situation I'm guessing posturing, and it looks like that's the way the market in a whole has been. This are we or aren't we going to sign one of the big three may go on into the New Year.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
I was referring to the Danks/Dunn/LaRoche deals. Though they were under $100 million, they still blew up in our faces.

I just hope this wouldn't be the same if they did throw that much money at him.

None of those deals are remotely like a huge Gordon contract. If the only thing is "deal blew up in their face" look to the Mariners, Rangers, Cubs, Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, the list goes on.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
For what it's worth, Dan Hayes doesnt think we'll do much:

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 4h4 hours ago

@mprotolipac24 I don't think they're doing anything

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 4h4 hours ago

@mprotolipac24 I don't think it's happening. But again never ruling anything out with them.

Not like he's going to tell you ya the sox are getting this guy.

The White Sox have pinned themselves now in terms of media perception into a situation where not adding one of the Big 3 is going to have consequences for the fanbase.

It's a dangerous game, letting it out that you're after one of those guys (plays well in the media, leads to page views and some additional optimism and season tickets being sold)...but the danger is pulling the rug out from beneath everyone's feet.

If they're not 100% committed to making all possible efforts to sign one of those guys, they should simply say the market is just too over-priced and then pleasantly surprise everyone by pulling a rabbit out of the hat...rather than dangling the carrot in front of us only to replace it with a stick or switch.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
@Joelsherman1 reporting that the #WhiteSox talks with OF Alex Gordon are "very real" on MLB Tonight.

Ofcourse they are. It doesnt make sense to stop now. Just like stopping after you add Lawrie doesnt make any sense.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 04:50 AM)
I also wonder if Casey Close is using the Sox as leverage against the Royals. Not saying that's the case at all, but I wonder...

Excellent point, it's something he's already done with Heyward and Greinke

Edited by fathom