Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
Who falls into that category that Garcia could be traded for? I can't think of any.

I wonder if we can go to a team with very low payroll like Atlanta and look to dump our 2015 salary-dump contenders (LaRoche and Danks) while offering a flyer on Avi as well as 1-2 legit prospects not named Anderson, Fulmer. If Adams and Danish/Beck, Michalewsi, etc can free up the ability to sign two more guys that 2-3 year window becomes a lot more serious. If they could get creative and dump both those contracts (pie in the sky I know) you'd really be talking about being able to add 2 of the big 3 OF's and/or Maeda.

One can dream:

1.) Eaton, CF

2.) Abreu, 1B

3.) Gordon, LF

4.) Cespedes, RF

5.) Frazier, 3B

6.) Cabrera, DH

7.) Lawrie, 2B

8.) Avila, C

9.) Saladino, SS

That team becomes middle of the pack defensively too. You rarely see deals like that in MLB but it sure would be nice.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)
Who falls into that category that Garcia could be traded for? I can't think of any.

I don't have a name right off the top of my head. But Garcia has trade value that could probably help the sox this year with a guy like Gordon added. Hahn has to have a trade partner lined up who would want Garcia if the signed a free agent

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
I don't have a name right off the top of my head. But Garcia has trade value that could probably help the sox this year with a guy like Gordon added. Hahn has to have a trade partner lined up who would want Garcia if the signed a free agent

Kevin Gausman is an intriguing name to me but I think Baltimore is still high enough on him that they wouldn't trade him for Avi.

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
I wonder if we can go to a team with very low payroll like Atlanta and look to dump our 2015 salary-dump contenders (LaRoche and Danks) while offering a flyer on Avi as well as 1-2 legit prospects not named Anderson, Fulmer. If Adams and Danish/Beck, Michalewsi, etc can free up the ability to sign two more guys that 2-3 year window becomes a lot more serious. If they could get creative and dump both those contracts (pie in the sky I know) you'd really be talking about being able to add 2 of the big 3 OF's and/or Maeda.

One can dream:

1.) Eaton, CF

2.) Abreu, 1B

3.) Gordon, LF

4.) Cespedes, RF

5.) Frazier, 3B

6.) Cabrera, DH

7.) Lawrie, 2B

8.) Avila, C

9.) Saladino, SS

That team becomes middle of the pack defensively too. You rarely see deals like that in MLB but it sure would be nice.

This would be my dream scenario, but realistically, a proposal like this has a .0000000001% chance of actually happening in real life.

I'm guessing 15 million for four years would get it done for Gordon if there really isn't much of a market. If this guy can get five years, his agent is the best in the history of the world. He's too old for a five year deal.

I bet the Royals don't go higher than 15. I bet Sox at 16 mill a year for four years with team option would get it done.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
You put him in a proper platoon situation and put him in a place where he can be a valid contributor.

Or you could you know, allow him to have another 300 PA before August and see what happens. I'm not all that confident Avi is anything other than replacement level but he's young enough where IMO you need to give him another shot before you sell at rock bottom.

There's not some surefire 4 WAR upgrade easily available to replace him. There's nothing in house and bringing in more than one veteran OF via FA isn't in the cards, unless JR wants to go all Michael Ilitch on us (that would be great but yea, zero chance of that) the Sox' best bet is to role with Avi until they have to make a decision in late July about not only his future but the Sox' odds of making the playoffs in '16.

Basically they should just hold him and see what happens. It's not worth it to try and bring in a Gillaspie type that at best is a 2 WAR starter and anything better than that is going to cost big time in prospects or cash.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
I'm guessing 15 million for four years would get it done for Gordon if there really isn't much of a market. If this guy can get five years, his agent is the best in the history of the world. He's too old for a five year deal.

I bet the Royals don't go higher than 15. I bet Sox at 16 mill a year for four years with team option would get it done.

No way 4 years gets it done. If anything it will be 5 years with a buyout.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Or you could you know, allow him to have another 300 PA before August and see what happens. I'm not all that confident Avi is anything other than replacement level but he's young enough where IMO you need to give him another shot before you sell at rock bottom.

There's not some surefire 4 WAR upgrade easily available to replace him. There's nothing in house and bringing in more than one veteran OF via FA isn't in the cards, unless JR wants to go all Michael Ilitch on us (that would be great but yea, zero chance of that) the Sox' best bet is to role with Avi until they have to make a decision in late July about not only his future but the Sox' odds of making the playoffs in '16.

Basically they should just hold him and see what happens. It's not worth it to try and bring in a Gillaspie type that at best is a 2 WAR starter and anything better than that is going to cost big time in prospects or cash.

That is what I'm saying. We keep him and platoon him with Melky / LaRoche and in theory maximize the value in all of those players (most specifically LaRoche / Avi).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
You put him in a proper platoon situation and put him in a place where he can be a valid contributor.

But who has the team to bother with that? Carrying a player that requires a platoon that can play 1 OF position (poorly)?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
I think 4 years and an option probably get it done for Gordon.

Yea we'll see how much teams are really valuing defense. For all the talk about the Cubs getting Heyward at a discount it could also just be teams aren't quite 100% committed to "full value" for guys that rely on defensive metrics for their productivity.

Maybe a team option with a buyout.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
But who has the team to bother with that? Carrying a player that requires a platoon that can play 1 OF position (poorly)?

White Sox after we add an outfielder. I see no reason to move Avi (his value is probably shot but he can be a solid contributor against LHP and select RHP). It isn't like LaRoche should be going against LHP.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
Yea we'll see how much teams are really valuing defense. For all the talk about the Cubs getting Heyward at a discount it could also just be teams aren't quite 100% committed to "full value" for guys that rely on defensive metrics for their productivity.

Maybe a team option with a buyout.

I think in Gordon's case it is the fact that he isn't a "sexy" player to go with his age.

It's funny, ahead of all of our moves I wanted Gordon the most. Now I want others. I think the defensive benefit (going so hard in the OF, right next to Eaton) would add a lot of watchability and edge to this team.

But I feel like all of the top 3 would add a lot, but the edginess of Cespedes and Gordon (jumping into stands, etc) would be a lot of fun.

Plus my tix are in RF so ...

The Cardinals also offered around 5 and $75 million.

There's no way he gets less than Zobrist...who's three years older.

The KC offer was more the obligatory "we tried" like the White Sox have often done with their franchise players of the past when they were ready to part ways to placate the fans.

Theoretically Upton and Cespedes are both in the $130-160 million range, Gordon has to be $80-110 and much closer to $100 than $50.

If the Royals felt they legitimately had a chance to bring him back, they would throw everything but the kitchen sink at getting it done. There's no indication anywhere they believe they're a legitimate landing spot.

Gordon, if were being honest, is not a good long-term investment for the Royals. If it will take five years and an average salary approaching $20 million to get it done, the Royals will make the difficult but prudent decision to let the defining player of their rise go.

All other things equal, its probably best for both sides if Gordon gets the kind of offer the Royals are incapable of matching. Sentimentality never won a championship.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

The bigger question is whether he's worth $100 million and five years to take him away from a divisional rival.

If there's one certainty, it is that he would be the hardest working player on the team since Juan Pierre, and that his character as both a leader and teammate have never been questioned. He's not as gifted or as exciting as either Cespedes or Upton, but fits well with the 1950's/early 60's Sox players...lunch pail/blue collar attitude.

Edited by caulfield12