Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Then why not just have Mike Olt sit out there until he's ready? That would of saved the team prospects.

Because RH found a cheap way to improve the position. If the Reds price was too high and would have impacted the future, they wouldn't have made the trade. You have to admit, everyone is touting the new All-star 3B but the sox paid very little for him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Or 3 of your better prospects. They will get someone to play the OF and hit a bit. I'm not too worried about that.

I don't think the "prospect" were all that much for the quality they received. I also agree that they will find a new OF. I'm just not sure if the price for cepedes will make they correct choice.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Because RH found a cheap way to improve the position. If the Reds price was too high and would have impacted the future, they wouldn't have made the trade. You have to admit, everyone is touting the new All-star 3B but the sox paid very little for him.

I'm not arguing the value of what they got in return for the prospects. I'm saying that labeling Frazier as a stop gap is actually pretty insulting to what he can actually do on the field.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Yes!! The next big bat is needed for 2016.

The White Sox know what they need as much as anyone. They didn't get Gordon. As long as KC was willing to pay up, they and every other team weren't going to get Gordon. Now it's on to their next target. If that fails, the next one. Eventually they will have another OF. Hahn has admitted as much. Who knows, sometimes, your 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice works out better than choice #1. I would have loved it if they signed Gordon, but it didn't happen. There are other teams that could use his services that didn't sign him either. No need to panic, there are more than a few guys left that give the White Sox a pretty solid upgrade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
The White Sox know what they need as much as anyone. They didn't get Gordon. As long as KC was willing to pay up, they and every other team weren't going to get Gordon. Now it's on to their next target. If that fails, the next one. Eventually they will have another OF. Hahn has admitted as much. Who knows, sometimes, your 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice works out better than choice #1. I would have loved it if they signed Gordon, but it didn't happen. There are other teams that could use his services that didn't sign him either. No need to panic, there are more than a few guys left that give the White Sox a pretty solid upgrade.

Well said.

However, if the Sox can't get Cespedes or Upton, I will be very disappointed.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm not arguing the value of what they got in return for the prospects. I'm saying that labeling Frazier as a stop gap is actually pretty insulting to what he can actually do on the field.

I'm using the term stop gap only in reference to the plan for the Sox. He is here for 2 years until Trey M. is ready. He will not be re-signed at the end of 2 years unless Trey has majors issues going forward.

I wasn't using the term as an implication of his talent. I really like him as a player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)

This is the way i look at it as well. sign the deal that makes the most sense for this year while keeping the future in mind. They need to start building a consistent winner, not just look to this year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I'm using the term stop gap only in reference to the plan for the Sox. He is here for 2 years until Trey M. is ready. He will not be re-signed at the end of 2 years unless Trey has majors issues going forward.

I wasn't using the term as an implication of his talent. I really like him as a player.

There are so many "what ifs" that can be associated with that plan. But like you said I'll make sure to mark it down and revisit later.

Edited by Baron

I'm surprised more players don't do what Gordon did. Stay put if they are that popular. I don't know if any team offered more, I haven't read enough yet, but four years at 18 million a year will have he and all his immediate relatives set for life a couple times over. I would think quality of life would factor in at some point (I know it doesn't for almost all pros) over a few more million dollars.

Not every player needs a new city, a new challenge. This guy just won a WS, which means he can just continue to do his thing. If at some point he starts to suck, the fans will be way more forgiving here than anywhere else.

I just think the Paulie discount is a smart thing for a player who has won a WS to do. I'm assuming Gordon coulda got 20 mill a year for five years from somebody. That would be 30 more million dollars total. Yes, a ton of money, but again, what price is quality of life and comfort zone when it's all monopoly money.

From a Sox standpoint for some reason I despise Melky more than Avi. I won't be despondent if Avi gets the proverbial final chance.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
This is the way i look at it as well. sign the deal that makes the most sense for this year while keeping the future in mind. They need to start building a consistent winner, not just look to this year.

In the years before Maggs, the Sox had a stretch where they did a good job with a rent a RF. DJ, then Burks. Tartabull had a decent year. I miss those days when they had no problem finding hitters.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
I'm surprised more players don't do what Gordon did. Stay put if they are that popular. I don't know if any team offered more, I haven't read enough yet, but four years at 18 million a year will have he and all his immediate relatives set for life a couple times over. I would think quality of life would factor in at some point (I know it doesn't) over a few more million dollars.

Not every player needs a new city, a new challenge. This guy just won a WS, which means he can just continue to do his thing. If at some point he starts to suck, the fans will be way more forgiving here than anywhere else.

I just think the Paulie discount is a smart thing for a player who has won a WS to do. I'm assuming Gordon coulda got 20 mill a year for five years from somebody. That would be 30 more million dollars total. Yes, a ton of money, but again, what price is quality of life and comfort zone when it's all monopoly money.

From a Sox standpoint for some reason I despise Melky more than Avi. I won't be despondent if Avi gets the proverbial final chance.

If a team offered him 5/$100 million, he wouldn't have re-signed with the Royals. If he's all about winning and life and not about cash, he probably has enough in the bank to live a sweet rest of his life, or he could take $10 million a year, and be fine, and tell the Royals to spend the rest on other players. He, Paulie, who was in the exact same boat when he was a free agent after the White Sox won the WS, will take a discount to a certain point.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
There are so many "what ifs" that can be associated with that plan. But like you said I'll make sure to mark it down and revisit later.

Please do. This is the plan that makes the most sense for a long term competitive team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
In the years before Maggs, the Sox had a stretch where they did a good job with a rent a RF. DJ, then Burks. Tartabull had a decent year. I miss those days when they had no problem finding hitters.

No kidding.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)
If a team offered him 5/$100 million, he wouldn't have re-signed with the Royals. If he's all about winning and life and not about cash, he probably has enough in the bank to live a sweet rest of his life, or he could take $10 million a year, and be fine, and tell the Royals to spend the rest on other players. He, Paulie, who was in the exact same boat when he was a free agent after the White Sox won the WS, will take a discount to a certain point.

Did the Royals actually make the best offer? I stand by the premise of my post. Yes I'd leave 30 million on the table to stay with a team I just won a WS with, where I was totally comfortable with my routine, the way the team does things, the way I like to prepare for games, not having to prove myself to new fans and a new, big city. The reason? Cause I got 18 mil a year for four years from the team I'm comfy with, and that frankly, is enough in my mind.

Now if the Royals offer was indeed the best he could have gotten, my bad. If the Royals actually won some sort of bidding war, again, my bad.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Rumors swirling that Gordon ultimately chose to resign with KC instead of Chicago because the Cespedes thread on Soxtalk had more pages than the Gordon thread.

I dont believe this because it doesnt begin with "Source:..."

raBBit, what are you hearing?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Did the Royals actually make the best offer? I stand by the premise of my post. Yes I'd leave 30 million on the table to stay with a team I just won a WS with, where I was totally comfortable with my routine, the way the team does things, the way I like to prepare for games, not having to prove myself to new fans and a new, big city. The reason? Cause I got 18 mil a year for four years from the team I'm comfy with, and that frankly, is enough in my mind.

Now if the Royals offer was indeed the best he could have gotten, my bad. If the Royals actually won some sort of bidding war, again, my bad.

The only thing I saw was the White Sox offer was 3 years. Maybe a team offered him more, but not significantly more. If a team offered him $30 million more he would have a lot of union pressure because he basically would be suppressing the future earnings of a lot more players than himself.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
The only thing I saw was the White Sox offer was 3 years. Maybe a team offered him more, but not significantly more. If a team offered him $30 million more he would have a lot of union pressure because he basically would be suppressing the future earnings of a lot more players than himself.

it is the same thing that has been somewhat announce on the most baseball links and rumor page.

and i am of the opinion that if this is all the sox will get to further improve this team, it reminds me of all those wasted yrs the sox had a major chance to do something and failed. b/c of the owners telling the fans base the same old story...... their budget is max at 120-130 mil. even after the tv deal, that bottom line still has not change.

4 yrs either for gordon or 5 yr for cespedes is not a bad deal.