Sox claim Jerry Sands

flavum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
If Melky can be moved to DH, Sands can platoon with Shuck in RF. If not, he can platoon with Laroche at DH/1B.

Shuck didn't exactly light it up offensively. He was pretty bad. Like a stronger LH bat in that scenario.

I'm also not sure why Avi is considered "unimprovable". His walk rate, by Sox standards, wasn't bad. He's had 1 full year. It is within the rules to pull him for defensive replacement as well.

Sands was not claimed to replace Avi Garcia. Sands may have some upside to him, but failed to hang on with the Dodgers or the Tribe. More a sub OF'er or minor league in the waiting. There is a lot of speculation on this board every time some player gets DFA or waived that we need to pick them up and insert them on our 25 man roster. Sands may not even be better than Shuck if you look at his record. Certainly Sands is not an upgrade with who we already have.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:49 AM)
Sands is a guy that has some value to take a free look at. Nothing more. He could make the team as a bench player and spell LaRoche vs LHP. It is not a precursor to another move nor does it mean anything about Garcia or another big name OF signing. It's a waiver claim.

could he be a minor guy to help in the minors???

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:35 PM)
Sands was not claimed to replace Avi Garcia. Sands may have some upside to him, but failed to hang on with the Dodgers or the Tribe. More a sub OF'er or minor league in the waiting. There is a lot of speculation on this board every time some player gets DFA or waived that we need to pick them up and insert them on our 25 man roster. Sands may not even be better than Shuck if you look at his record. Certainly Sands is not an upgrade with who we already have.

i hate to admit this, but i am one of those you mention. but for my defense, i see all these different org pickup many of these dfa players and i just wonder, at the state of the org, can this player help in the minors or if they are young, can they still have some development that can happen.

just my thoughts on why i was thinking this way.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Shuck didn't exactly light it up offensively. He was pretty bad. Like a stronger LH bat in that scenario.

I'm also not sure why Avi is considered "unimprovable". His walk rate, by Sox standards, wasn't bad. He's had 1 full year. It is within the rules to pull him for defensive replacement as well.

Was he good? No. Was he bad? No.

He didn't hit an HR but had a .266 BA with a .340 OBP. Not bad for a guy that had just over 150 ABs.

I think he's completely fine as the 4th OF.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
Was he good? No. Was he bad? No.

He didn't hit an HR but had a .266 BA with a .340 OBP. Not bad for a guy that had just over 150 ABs.

I think he's completely fine as the 4th OF.

Yes, he's fine for a 4th OF. he took some walks, which is a rare skill in this org. But .689 OPS would not work in the platoon scenario post above.

It would be nice to have an extra bat on the bench.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:57 PM)
i hate to admit this, but i am one of those you mention. but for my defense, i see all these different org pickup many of these dfa players and i just wonder, at the state of the org, can this player help in the minors or if they are young, can they still have some development that can happen.

just my thoughts on why i was thinking this way.

And I certainly understand that position. And you might be right. My guess is Sands goes to the minors and maybe he suddenly finds it. Who knows? Most of those signings would be for depth in the minor league system. It does seem that guys like Sands did good in the minors and not so hot in the majors. I respect that folks may see that there still could be some upside to them, but I just don't think we should be penciling in a DFA kind of guy in a starting role to replace a guy like Garcia, who certainly has been identified by the organization as a starter and talent in bigs.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:41 PM)
Yes, he's fine for a 4th OF. he took some walks, which is a rare skill in this org. But .689 OPS would not work in the platoon scenario post above.

It would be nice to have an extra bat on the bench.

Actually I think he may be the 5th OF. He is probably a pick-up to replace Thompson and will either beat out Shuck or be 1st on the list at Charlotte.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else like this guy to maybe make a surprise impact this year?

Hit .287/.409/.538 at AAA last year. Obviously hasn't matched that production in the majors, but he has hit for a 93 wRC+ (Avi is at 90), 135 wRC+ against lefties, and Steamer projects him for 101 overall this year. Seems to be an average baserunner and a non-liability on defence too. I like him more than Shuck/Fields if anyone is gonna step up from inside to take time off Avi.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Anyone else like this guy to maybe make a surprise impact this year?

Hit .287/.409/.538 at AAA last year. Obviously hasn't matched that production in the majors, but he has hit for a 93 wRC+ (Avi is at 90), 135 wRC+ against lefties, and Steamer projects him for 101 overall this year. Seems to be an average baserunner and a non-liability on defence too. I like him more than Shuck/Fields if anyone is gonna step up from inside to take time off Avi.

He put up a .236 .286 .390 .676 slash line, for an 80 OPS+, at the major league level in 2015.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
He put up a .236 .286 .390 .676 slash line, for an 80 OPS+, at the major league level in 2015.

Was still good enough for a 0.0 WAR, which would be a big upgrade in RF.

Less facetiously, obviously the argument I'm making is he could be a sneaky candidate to improve upon his numbers from last year. He was shown he can be an above-average hitter during a season at the MLB level, had a 108 wRC+ for the Dodgers in 2011.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
I think the truth is WAY closer to his major league 2015 numbers than it is to his 2015 AAA numbers.

Even if the truth was 80% closer to his MLB numbers, that'd make him an above-average hitter.

I'm not saying he's likely to do this, I'm saying he's a surprise candidate to do it that I like better than Shuck or Fields.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Was still good enough for a 0.0 WAR, which would be a big upgrade in RF.

Less facetiously, obviously the argument I'm making is he could be a sneaky candidate to improve upon his numbers from last year. He was shown he can be an above-average hitter during a season at the MLB level, had a 108 wRC+ for the Dodgers in 2011.

Even if the truth was 80% closer to his MLB numbers, that'd make him an above-average hitter.

I'm not saying he's likely to do this, I'm saying he's a surprise candidate to do it that I like better than Shuck or Fields.

That 103 OPS+ was in 227 ABs, and five years ago. So if I am going to hear about sample size, I would give more respect to a current sample versus one half a decade old.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
That 103 OPS+ was in 227 ABs, and five years ago. So if I am going to hear about sample size, I would give more respect to a current sample versus one half a decade old.

You aren't looking at his numbers specifically vs LHP though. You are looking at entire seasons which doesn't really make sense. Sands taking LaRoche's at-bats vs LHP wouldn't be terrible thing. That's all anyone is saying.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
You aren't looking at his numbers specifically vs LHP though. You are looking at entire seasons which doesn't really make sense. Sands taking LaRoche's at-bats vs LHP wouldn't be terrible thing. That's all anyone is saying.

From a practical stand point, I don't think there is room for him.

You have an 12 man pitching staff (5 starters, 7 relievers). As it stands today you have the two catchers, Abreu, Lawrie, Rollins, Saladino, Frazier, LaRoche, Cabrera, Garcia, Eaton, and Shuck.

That leaves one job for Daniel Fields, Jerry Sands, Carlos Sanchez, and Leury Garcia depending on how the team wants to fill the bench.