Mets rule out Cespedes

EvilJester99

I was just about to post this.

"The signing of Alejandro De Aza seemed to pretty well close the door on Cespedes, and sources say the Mets' foray into the Cespedes market was brief. And now it is over. (It may have been over for a while.)"

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...y-of-now-sought

So, the Mets are looking for a RH outfielder eh? To the Mets I say, can we interest you in Avi Garcia? :D

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)

"The signing of Alejandro De Aza seemed to pretty well close the door on Cespedes, and sources say the Mets' foray into the Cespedes market was brief. And now it is over. (It may have been over for a while.)"

So, the Mets are looking for a RH outfielder eh? To the Mets I say, can we interest you in Avi Garcia? :D

http://deadspin.com/its-time-for-the-mets-...o-go-1749456433

Interesting article about the Mets this offseason, and actually the comments are what make it interesting in saying how, outside a move or two, the availability of this off-season isn't a great fit with Mets needs.

They're just such an enticing team because they have all that cheap young pitching.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)

Interesting article about the Mets this offseason, and actually the comments are what make it interesting in saying how, outside a move or two, the availability of this off-season isn't a great fit with Mets needs.

They're just such an enticing team because they have all that cheap young pitching.

Wow, and some Sox fans comp!ain about JR. The owners paying off debt would explain why they aren't spending despite having such cheap young pitching. I really feel for their fans because those five starters are a hell of a foundation to build the team off of and yet the owners aren't doing it.

That said, maybe a trade based around Avi for Granderson could make sense for both teams. The Sox get their left handed middle of the order right fielder and the Mets get a right handed and much cheaper right fielder. Seems as though it would be a good fit as long as the Mets weren't expecting top tier talent in return with Avi.

Just trying to think outside the box.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)

As I said before, their money problems are for real. They are paying off loans for a long time, they invested with Bernie Madoff and that money is GONE

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)

The signing of De Aza should never preclude the sighing of a much better player. I understand other issues (budget, team isn't built to contend, etc.), but that seems to be pretty a crazy conclusion to me.

The Mets don't seem interested in spending money - only to a point. I think that's the bigger issue than De Aza being signed.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
The signing of De Aza should never preclude the sighing of a much better player. I understand other issues (budget, team isn't built to contend, etc.), but that seems to be pretty a crazy conclusion to me.

The Mets don't seem interested in spending money - only to a point. I think that's the bigger issue than De Aza being signed.

De Aza isn't so much of an issue as he is an indication of what the owners are financially looking for in players to fill out their roster. I don't want to say they are being " cheap " , but they are trying to be cost effective while attempting to contend again which will be difficult to do without adding a few big bats in some capacity since they lost two in Cespedes and Murphy. The NLE is pretty weak right now with the Marlins, Phillies and Atlanta rebuilding, now would be a good time for the Mets to own that division if they got a few big bats somehow. I understand though, if the money isn't there then they have no choice but to grab players such as De Aza.

I don't blame Mets fans at all for wanting new owners, I would too.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Wow, and some Sox fans comp!ain about JR. The owners paying off debt would explain why they aren't spending despite having such cheap young pitching. I really feel for their fans because those five starters are a hell of a foundation to build the team off of and yet the owners aren't doing it.

That said, maybe a trade based around Avi for Granderson could make sense for both teams. The Sox get their left handed middle of the order right fielder and the Mets get a right handed and much cheaper right fielder. Seems as though it would be a good fit as long as the Mets weren't expecting top tier talent in return with Avi.

I love this idea. I'd also like to pick up Dillon Gee, extreme ground-baller, to add starting pitching depth.

I really hope the Sox don't sign Cespedes - there's a reason he's been on 4 teams in like 2 years. All reports are he's a terrible teammate. Definitely not what we need - more chemistry problems. My two cents.

Well Detroit sounds like they want him back. And all of Cespedes teams (except the 2nd half of a lost season for the Red Sox) have been damn good.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
I really hope the Sox don't sign Cespedes - there's a reason he's been on 4 teams in like 2 years. All reports are he's a terrible teammate. Definitely not what we need - more chemistry problems. My two cents.

and you may have a point, but before i judge him in that bad clubhouse group, i would like to see those articles saying that. even if it is a little tidbit info.

for me, i have never heard of that, but i will not count it out that it didn't happen.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)

I get Red Sox games on cable and I never heard that Cespedes was a clubhouse problem. His plate discipline wasn't very good and he was streaky (good and bad), but I never heard anything negative about the guy.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)

Granderson is a .230-.250 strike out hitter with power who is getting old. The Mets were so hard up for a lead off hitter, they had to use him in that spot. However he was kind of a veteran "glue" guy for an inexperienced young team. I can't imagine them giving him up for a guy like Avi that Sox fans would be happy to dump.