The next market inefficiency...2nd/3rd tier pitching

caulfield12

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
No, and that's risky. The question is what's more risky - a full season of Cespedes and rolling the dice with EJ and Saladino (with Beck-Turner having to be possibly be counted on for 5-12 starts), or a full season of Latos, Parra and Ramirez, where Beck/Turner might have to be turned to anyway if Latos can't stay healthy again and EJ fails.

It's easy to go through $25-30 million on just 2-3 players and it's also even harder to imagine JR approving a significant payroll boost to do so for complimentary players instead of a star attraction.

They pretty much have to go Big 3, essentially.

Sure, they could add at the margins (bench/reliever) now or June/July...assuming they get off to a better than average first half or nobody breaks out of the pack in the AL Central.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Whom did this horrible horrible egregious offense?

If Latos hadn't gotten hurt in '14 and kept the pace over the last year and a half, he'd easily be getting a contract just shy of 200 million as a 27 year old FA Ace. So I don't think it's hard to imagine him getting a 1 year deal of 10 million or more, even if there are question marks. His 2015 FIP really wasn't too far from his career norm, but the chips apparently didn't fall into place ERA-wise.

If I'm the Sox, I sign every pitcher like Gavin Floyd that I can find. They're low risk, high reward, and cheap.

Hell, I'd sign 6 or 7 veteran pitchers to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training and maybe one of them finds their way onto the big league team if they have a solid spring training. If they bust, fine. Just release them before the season starts. There's no risk from the Sox perspective.

At least that's what I'd do.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
If I'm the Sox, I sign every pitcher like Gavin Floyd that I can find. They're low risk, high reward, and cheap.

Hell, I'd sign 6 or 7 veteran pitchers to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training and maybe one of them finds their way onto the big league team if they have a solid spring training. If they bust, fine. Just release them before the season starts. There's no risk from the Sox perspective.

I think they'll have to pick up a couple. It's not like Charlotte's Rotation is anywhere close to full. That alone will force them to spend some money on a guy or two.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)

There is no incentive for 6 pitches to sign a deal like that with the White Sox knowing they only have a limited number of jobs open. You can get one, maybe two. After that, the pitchers will start looking at other teams who might have openings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
I think they'll have to pick up a couple. It's not like Charlotte's Rotation is anywhere close to full. That alone will force them to spend some money on a guy or two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Sale or Quintana like production from anyone they'd sign to one of these types of deals...but I'd like another established pitcher or two in Charlotte for depth purposes just in case Johnson or Danks fall apart.

Just taking a look at the free agent list, I'd send minor league contract offers with an invite to spring training to guys like Joe Blanton, Kyle Lohse, Jerome Williams, Cliff Lee, Edwin Jackson, Shaun Marcum, etc. None of them are anything great, but there's a small chance that one of them could improve under Coop's tutelage.

Jackson could very well be the guy the Sox end up with if. The cubs are still on the hook for paying Jackson 13M in '16 so with Jackson its more about getting a major league opportunity than it is money. He's definitely worth looking into. I like the Floyd idea as well.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 12:13 AM)
Jackson looked like a major league starter with Coop. Wouldn't mind another crack with him

Yup, EJax put up fairly good numbers when he was here.

EJax, Turner and another vet reclamation project in Charlotte's rotation would be fine with me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Fister has 1-2 year offers from multiple clubs. I wonder if the White Sox are one of those clubs

I would be surprised if the Sox aren't one of those teams. Groundball pitcher who has good control, sign me up.

Bummer on missing on Edwin Jackson. Sounds like we could've had him at the league minimum since the Cubs are paying him around $13 million I think?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
I would be surprised if the Sox aren't one of those teams. Groundball pitcher who has good control, sign me up.

Bummer on missing on Edwin Jackson. Sounds like we could've had him at the league minimum since the Cubs are paying him around $13 million I think?

Yeah Marlins only owe him league minimum.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
#Royalstalk

It would behoove the White Sox to be looking at the same exact options as a fallback plan from Cespedes/Upton.

Or are you going to guarantee we sign one of them?

Many were picking the Indians for first place before yesterday, and that's without a healthy Brantley. The Twins haven't gotten worse, and Buxton/Berrios are both close to making an impact. The Tigers can always outspend us.

Stand in place and you get passed by the field.

Edited by caulfield12

Here's what is currently remaining (per MLBtraderumors) and my subjective ordering of price/demands

1. Chen

2. Gallardo

3. Kennedy

4. Latos

5. Fister

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...s-for-cliff-lee

Will Carroll (@injuryexpert) on Twitter regarding Cliff Lee

Easy to work him out and do a physical. Hear he’s asking for too much base. I’d sure sign him to an incentive deal if [not] pass.

6. Cliff Lee (major questions about the health of his elbow after sitting out 1 1/2 years)

7. Lincecum (Coop can fix 'em!)

8. Masterson (Coop can fix 'em 2!)

9. Blanton (based on his peripherals last year, not bad for the price as an innings eater and part-time starter)

10. Josh Johnson (what a promising career he once had)

11. Mike Minor

Bronson Arroyo (39)

Chad Billingsley (31)

Joe Blanton (35)

Mark Buehrle (37)

Chris Capuano (37)

Wei-Yin Chen (30)

Doug Fister (32)

Yovani Gallardo (30)

Jeremy Guthrie (37)

Aaron Harang (38)

Josh Johnson (32)

Ian Kennedy (31)

Mat Latos (28)

Cliff Lee (37)

Tim Lincecum (32)

Kyle Lohse (37)

Cory Luebke (31)

Shaun Marcum (34)

Justin Masterson (31)

Mike Minor (28)

Wandy Rodriguez (37)

Yaisel Sierra (24)

Alfredo Simon (35)

Eric Stults (36)

Randy Wolf (39)

Jerome Williams (34)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
Here's what is currently remaining (per MLBtraderumors) and my subjective ordering of price/demands

1. Chen

2. Gallardo

3. Kennedy

4. Latos

5. Fister

Will Carroll (@injuryexpert) on Twitter regarding Cliff Lee

Easy to work him out and do a physical. Hear he’s asking for too much base. I’d sure sign him to an incentive deal if [not] pass.

6. Cliff Lee (major questions about the health of his elbow after sitting out 1 1/2 years)

7. Lincecum (Coop can fix 'em!)

8. Masterson (Coop can fix 'em 2!)

9. Blanton (based on his peripherals last year, not bad for the price as an innings eater and part-time starter)

10. Josh Johnson (what a promising career he once had)

11. Mike Minor

Bronson Arroyo (39)

Chad Billingsley (31)

Joe Blanton (35)

Mark Buehrle (37)

Chris Capuano (37)

Wei-Yin Chen (30)

Doug Fister (32)

Yovani Gallardo (30)

Jeremy Guthrie (37)

Aaron Harang (38)

Josh Johnson (32)