2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
If you look at the posts, you can see I was following the conversation but when he calls people out he tends to avoid quoting them. His condescension is never deserved, it's just directed at people with different viewpoints. It's a pattern.

I have read about 3 of brett05's messages and it is already clear he is deserving of condescension.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 07:08 PM)
If you look at the posts, you can see I was following the conversation but when he calls people out he tends to avoid quoting them. His condescension is never deserved, it's just directed at people with different viewpoints. It's a pattern.

It was the post right above his.

Promoting non-scientific internet polls as proof that Trump won isn't merely a different viewpoint; it's idiocy. And after SS respectfully explained why that was the case, Brett got salty and snarky.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
It was the post right above his.

Promoting non-scientific internet polls as proof that Trump won isn't merely a different viewpoint; it's idiocy. And after SS respectfully explained why that was the case, Brett got salty and snarky.

Any popular website or twitter poll shouldnt be taken seriously, but it is, and sometimes by one of the candidates.

The electoral college kills a lot of what those sites try to put out.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Do you even realize how condescending you sound when you speak about other peoples issues?

First of all as I said previously, it can be worse. So when you start "It cant be worse", you show a complete lack of understanding of their issue. Second, you have no connection to the inner city, so there is an actual legitimate question of if you even know what they are looking for.

So again, it comes off as a hollow because it's someone else telling them what to do, as if they cant think for themselves. If they want to be Democrats/Republicans or whatever that is their choice. If you want to try and convince people to join your side, you should probably articulate how your side is actually going to improve their lot in life. Merely saying "its not good right now" does nothing. If anything it shows how little you think of them.

First off, gmab. You're the one telling me that things could be worse. Yeah, they could be, but they're also really bad for a lot of low income people in this city/county. Perhaps i'm wrong, but I doubt your typical black Chicagoan is happy with the status quo. They want to see improvement. They want better schools, lower crime, more job opportunities, etc. These are things promised by their elected officials time and time again and it has not been provided. I've only lived in the area for 12 years, but I haven't seen much improvement in any of those areas. I continue to read/see the same types of news stories and the same demands by the voters around election time.

Second, I'm not telling them what to do. I'm simply asking why the same people are voting for the same types of candidates.

I don't buy, like you guys do, that as a basic premise that Republican policy is automatically a failure. Yes, the national party has left a lot to be desired when it comes to minorities, but that doesn't mean that the ideas promulgated by Republicans generally aren't good for low income communities. As NSS pointed out, it's the Republicans who want to fix the financial crisis this state is in, caused mostly by Democrats in Springfield and Chicago. If we could stop wasting money, we could maybe put that money to good use.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
First off, gmab. You're the one telling me that things could be worse. Yeah, they could be, but they're also really bad for a lot of low income people in this city/county. Perhaps i'm wrong, but I doubt your typical black Chicagoan is happy with the status quo. They want to see improvement. They want better schools, lower crime, more job opportunities, etc. These are things promised by their elected officials time and time again and it has not been provided. I've only lived in the area for 12 years, but I haven't seen much improvement in any of those areas. I continue to read/see the same types of news stories and the same demands by the voters around election time.

Second, I'm not telling them what to do. I'm simply asking why the same people are voting for the same types of candidates.

I don't buy, like you guys do, that as a basic premise that Republican policy is automatically a failure. Yes, the national party has left a lot to be desired when it comes to minorities, but that doesn't mean that the ideas promulgated by Republicans generally aren't good for low income communities. As NSS pointed out, it's the Republicans who want to fix the financial crisis this state is in, caused mostly by Democrats in Springfield and Chicago. If we could stop wasting money, we could maybe put that money to good use.

In Chicago many of the problems like infrastructure and education can be fixed with funding and better budgeting. I dont give a s*** who is in office, you have to be able to get the people and business to pay more money into these systems to get any improvements, and time has proven that its not only political suicide to push that, but its almost impossible to push through. People (who have the means) are more than happy to pay more taxes outside of Chicago to have higher quality of both. I dont know if its the Chicken or the egg argument but its pretty darn close.

Its going to take a full scale revolution in Chicago to unseat the old bulls*** that controls the city's interests.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Why do you think black voters overwhelmingly reject Republican candidates and policies across the country?

Combination of terrible candidates over the years saying stupid anti-minority things and having a minor, but vocal, racist contingent of the party that unfortunately is misconstrued (and purposefully marketed by Democrats) as speaking for the entire party. I'm not ignoring that is a huge component here.

But in places like Chicago, Republican voices are not heard. They have no platform because of the strong Democratic control. Rauner got like what, 7% of the black vote? And he was one of the more moderate candidates on the Republican side the state has had in a while. And again, he campaigned on a platform of we're going to make the state better for everyone by fixing corruption and waste. That's not an anti-black/low income agenda. That's probably the first step in any sort of policy towards fixing our financial mess.

Chicago's pension commitments are insane, it has killed the city. OTOH, every midwestern city saved Minneapolis has seen drastic decline in population from manufacturing loss. Chicago has fared pretty well comparitively, with its diversity with finance, manufacturing and other strong industries like advertising. I also sincerely believe the prohibitive housing policies in NYC and San Fran are going to make it difficult for tech companies to expand in those headquartered areas, and Chicago will be prime to take advantage.

But it is failing its communities badly. It is a failure of leadership. The chicago and illinois democratic coalition is too broad. It has multiple competing groups that in no way should really be in same tent. Makes anything impossible because no side can win until all are happy.

Chicago has failed black americans, and many others, but it's still a great city that can turn it around.

However, Chicago is not the end all be all of black voters and democratic government. And my interpretation is if you think others aren't listening to your great ideas, probably time you stop and listen to them first. They may have actual reasons for what they do.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
I swear the way political parties are talked about here it's like they are a group of conquistadors that come to an area and set up shop, rather than a group of elected officials within the community.

One overwhelming feeling I've had about almost every elected official in an area I've lived in is that there should be someone better than this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
One overwhelming feeling I've had about almost every elected official in an area I've lived in is that there should be someone better than this.

Whaat, I loved my alderman. BTW I'm in OP now too.

(what you voting on the pool man?)

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Whaat, I loved my alderman. BTW I'm in OP now too.

(what you voting on the pool man?)

Walter Burnett is a f***ing crook and I still cant believe he's in office (my west loop alderman).

I asked the students what to vote and they somewhat convinced me to vote yes. I appealed my taxes and they went down almost 4k so I consider this an overall win.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
I think the disconnect is the possibility that maybe black americans vote democrat because they prefer democratic policies, and not because some singular group called "democrats" offer them "Free stuff" in exchange for power.

This reminds me of when Rand Paul went to Howard and asked "Were you all even aware that the NAACP was founded by Republicans?" and the crowd screamed "YES" and he winces "oh, okay, well, a lot of people don't know!"

"Did you know the KKK was started by Democrats" is one that I hear pretty often.

Yes, motherf***er, I knew that. I am glad you're all caught up on s*** I learned in public school when I was 13.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Walter Burnett is a f***ing crook and I still cant believe he's in office (my west loop alderman).

I asked the students what to vote and they somewhat convinced me to vote yes. I appealed my taxes and they went down almost 4k so I consider this an overall win.

You liberal hack

The process was a s*** show. There have been proposed numerous better options including a tournament sized boys (or girls) pool and a nonstandard girls pool. Cheaper, and does not require tearing down parking garage that town is still paying for.

And, I hate parking garages. So it pains me.

At one point in a pool meeting, one of the school board members said how much she wished the same amount of people would show up for reducing the achievement gap meetings, and how she was voting yes because students who have never achieved before learned how to swim.

How that follows, I don't know.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
"Did you know the KKK was started by Democrats" is one that I hear pretty often.

Yes, motherf***er, I knew that. I am glad you're all caught up on s*** I learned in public school when I was 13.

Andrew Jackson started the Democrats, Lincoln the Republicans.

Therefore, Republicans are better for minorities.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
Andrew Jackson started the Democrats, Lincoln the Republicans.

Therefore, Republicans are better for minorities.

Like... you're facetious here, but this is literally what someone could have tweeted me completely unironically.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Like... you're facetious here, but this is literally what someone could have tweeted me completely unironically.

I've said it heard a depressing amount of times.

Modern Republicans are more the Party of Reagan, the Democrats the Party of either FDR or Obama.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
You liberal hack

The process was a s*** show. There have been proposed numerous better options including a tournament sized boys (or girls) pool and a nonstandard girls pool. Cheaper, and does not require tearing down parking garage that town is still paying for.

And, I hate parking garages. So it pains me.

At one point in a pool meeting, one of the school board members said how much she wished the same amount of people would show up for reducing the achievement gap meetings, and how she was voting yes because students who have never achieved before learned how to swim.

How that follows, I don't know.

I do remember from high school that OPRF had easily the worst pool in conference that I can recall. For a town that touts its schools and facilities it does seem like a disconnect. I love that the school has 100 Mil in the bank yet continue to ask for more and more.

Alas, I did move here for the schools and whatnot, but it's not lost on me that I pay more than 4x the taxes I did on a 400k place in the west loop.

Edited by RockRaines

I'm really hoping that Trump's buying all of the "Trump Wins!" garbage internet polls, thinks they're legit, and does not change a thing in his plan for the next debate.

CtXxhxeWIAAefPB.jpg

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 6h6 hours ago

Such a great honor. Final debate polls are in - and the MOVEMENT wins!

#AmericaFirst #MAGA #ImWithYou

http://www.DonaldJTrump.com

(he did not cite any of the real polls)