2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
So, standing up to bigotry = riding the PR train.

Good. I wish more people would ride that train.

When you see a story like Charleston Southern on one day (most of which minorities BTW) , and then this the next, yeah, it is pretty easy to question the motives of the NCAA>

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
When you see a story like Charleston Southern on one day, and then this the next, yeah, it is pretty easy to question the motives of the NCAA>

Great.

So let's criticize them when they do the wrong thing and give them credit when they do the right thing, not ignore them when they do the wrong thing and then question their motives when they do the right thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Great.

So let's criticize them when they do the wrong thing and give them credit when they do the right thing, not ignore them when they do the wrong thing and then question their motives when they do the right thing.

Eh, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons isn't really that admirable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Great.

This is sort of like praising Assange for releasing documents exposing corruption because, hey, that's a good thing! You're ignoring (1) everything else they've done, and (2) their actual motivation for doing it. You really think the NCAA cares about transgendered people?

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
Eh, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons isn't really that admirable.

I'll take it. I wish more places and people would do the right thing even if for the wrong reasons. Make "doing the right thing" seem normal, not out of place, and we wouldn't have to deal with bigoted crap like this in the first place.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
South Park actually did a decent job on this two years ago:

I find it funny because there is so much overlap between these people and gun rights folks. Basically, gun control will only hurt legal gun owners. Couldn't the same be said here, that perverts will still be perverts regardless of laws?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
I'll take it. I wish more places and people would do the right thing even if for the wrong reasons. Make "doing the right thing" seem normal, not out of place, and we wouldn't have to deal with bigoted crap like this in the first place.

So why is it different for whistleblowers and governmental corruption?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)

See all the multiple options Lincoln looked at first for dealing with the slavery issue, including sending slaves back to Africa...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 12:27 AM)
See all the multiple options Lincoln looked at first for dealing with the slavery issue, including sending slaves back to Africa...

I read about it after your post. Amazing that Mr. Lincoln did indeed meet with former slaves asking if they'd move to Africa saying the two races will never get along.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
By the way here is more insanity on the trump foundation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how...db62_story.html

Fahrenholdt has been doing pretty difficult but classic journalistic legwork.

Very interesting stuff here:

First, he stopped giving his own money.

His contribution shrank to $35,000 in 2007.

Then to $30,000 in 2008.

Then to $0.

At the same time, Trump’s foundation began to fill with money from other people.

But in many other cases, his biggest donors have not wanted to say why they gave their own money, when Trump was giving none of his.

“I don’t have time for this. Thank you,” said Richard Ebers, a ticket broker in New York City who has given the Trump Foundation $1.9 million since 2011.

“No. No. No. I’m not going to comment on anything. I’m not answering any of your questions,” said John Stark, the chief executive of a carpet company that has donated $64,000 over the years.

Vince and Linda McMahon declined to comment.

NY AG opening an investigation into the Trump Foundation

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-elect...nprofit-n647896

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
It makes you wonder who did Blago piss off.

I mean, everyone.

But difference between rewarding campaign supporters and explicitly extorting them.

That said, I have never really felt like they proved the case against blago. That no sums or anything were discussed, I do feel like the "I've got this thing and it's gold" is not enough. BUt, oh well, glad he went to jail. If not for this, would have been taken down with rezko likely.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
I mean, everyone.

But difference between rewarding campaign supporters and explicitly extorting them.

That said, I have never really felt like they proved the case against blago. That no sums or anything were discussed, I do feel like the "I've got this thing and it's gold" is not enough. BUt, oh well, glad he went to jail. If not for this, would have been taken down with rezko likely.

If the reward is implicit in the agreement, not really. I know Rod's big mistake was making a clear and public suggestion to make it obvious, versus the usual, wink-wink stuff that goes on here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
If the reward is implicit in the agreement, not really. I know Rod's big mistake was making a clear and public suggestion to make it obvious, versus the usual, wink-wink stuff that goes on here.

There's no real qualification for ambassador though. Had it just been an Obama bundler going to ISrael that would be a big deal, but, throughout history we've had a lot of interesting ambassadors.

I don't know, I don't find ambassadorships to bundlers corrupt. Question now is whether ambassadors are needed at all.

Blago was just an idiot. I mean he barely even knew how to use a computer (watch the episodes of the Apprentice he was in). That being said I think his problem is that other people in the state didnt like him and it was an easy opportunity to go after him.

I think there is also the risk factor. When you give a presidential candidate a lot of money there is no guarantee that they will win. So its seen more as a "reward" for helping. Where as if you paid Blago it was a guarantee.

Edited by Soxbadger