2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
Golfing jokes about the president are always totally original and funny.

Does Hillary Clinton golf? There has to be a email/golf joke out there somewhere!

Ha, you are right that this could be the first pres without the goofy golf pool pics. I've never seen her golf.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)

I have gained a ton of respect for W since he left the White House. By and large he has stayed out of the way of the President, respected the office, and let him run the country, not involving politics in things. The times where he has made himself known in public it has been in an effort to support Obama as a person, and/or to do something positive for the country.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
https://www.wbez.org/shows/morning-shift/rh...m_source=Eloqua

There is a lot in there but the trauma stuff I think is right. You could dump 10k therapists into chicago and I'm not sure it would be enough.

I know it isn't on the scale of Chicago, but we have a pretty decent poverty problem in my home town after the collapse of manufacturing and industry. I have spent a lot of time with kids here and the one thing that just jumps out at me is how angry some of them are, pretty much at everything and everyone. That radiates out from them and reverberates to everyone they come in contact with. I have no idea how to solve it, but it is absolutely something that feeds into how they interact with people of authority. It creates such a tension with everything, and it creates so many life or death situations in places where they shouldn't exist.

As a society we seem to barreling towards a situation where we are making the choice between being more comfortable with either more cops or more civilians dying in this situations.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Ha, you are right that this could be the first pres without the goofy golf pool pics. I've never seen her golf.

Does Hillary even have any hobbies? I dont think Ive ever seen her doing anything fun.

So I looked it up and this is what it lists:

http://www.celebritybeliefs.com/hillary-clinton/

Hillary Clinton Hobbies

Some of her favorite hobbies are playing scrabble, doing crossword puzzles, and gardening. She is very passionate about politics and considers her work as one of her hobbies.

This is one of the few times where I'm thinking it's kind of nice to have an election for a judge.

I don't think Evans would be doing this if he wasn't fighting for his life:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/juveni...m_source=Eloqua

Cook COunty will hold hearings on the weekends for juveniles now rather than only m-f. Meaning kids won't be locked up over 48 hrs, it is the same policy as adults.

edit: I am stupid and didn't realize this was not a public vote after reading about it in the trib.

Points for lack of democracy again?

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
I have gained a ton of respect for W since he left the White House. By and large he has stayed out of the way of the President, respected the office, and let him run the country, not involving politics in things. The times where he has made himself known in public it has been in an effort to support Obama as a person, and/or to do something positive for the country.

No matter what people may think of Bush's choices as President, I feel comfortable saying:

1) I dont think Bush is a bad person. Whatever choices he made, I truly believe he made them because he thought they were the best for the majority, not because they were in some way the best for him.

2) If I had the choice of Bush or Trump, I would pick Bush. Even if Bush is likely more conservative, I still would trust him a million times more.

3) Post Presidency Bush has been nothing but a good model for America, which kind of carries on the tradition of other Presidents.

Now I may disagree with a lot of things that happened, but its easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize. Plus, I think a lot of people misunderstood his humor. When I read that "Now watch this drive", it makes me laugh. When all you hear is doom/gloom, maybe its good that you have a guy in power who enjoys the little things.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
This is one of the few times where I'm thinking it's kind of nice to have an election for a judge.

I don't think Evans would be doing this if he wasn't fighting for his life:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/juveni...m_source=Eloqua

Cook COunty will hold hearings on the weekends for juveniles now rather than only m-f. Meaning kids won't be locked up over 48 hrs, it is the same policy as adults.

edit: I am stupid and didn't realize this was not a public vote after reading about it in the trib.

Points for lack of democracy again?

Never get arrested on a Friday night. Not every County has court on Saturday. But yeah kind of strange that they had 2 different policies. And the judge vote is so political, some judges were "given the day off" to make sure that they could vote. Wonder who they voted for.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
No matter what people may think of Bush's choices as President, I feel comfortable saying:

1) I dont think Bush is a bad person. Whatever choices he made, I truly believe he made them because he thought they were the best for the majority, not because they were in some way the best for him.

2) If I had the choice of Bush or Trump, I would pick Bush. Even if Bush is likely more conservative, I still would trust him a million times more.

3) Post Presidency Bush has been nothing but a good model for America, which kind of carries on the tradition of other Presidents.

Now I may disagree with a lot of things that happened, but its easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize. Plus, I think a lot of people misunderstood his humor. When I read that "Now watch this drive", it makes me laugh. When all you hear is doom/gloom, maybe its good that you have a guy in power who enjoys the little things.

Bush always struck me as having a quirky sort of sense of humor. Like he would find something hilarious, and no one else would get it. I know plenty of people like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)

Also paint pictures of himself

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
I really wanted Bush to throw his hat in for MLB Commissioner. While I disagree with him as a politician, I've never thought of him as any but an honorable man.

Wasn't the story that he was angling for that, lost to Selig and then launched his political career as Texas governor?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
The greatest trick Donald Trump ever pulled was convincing liberals "maybe W wasn't the worst after all"

Ha, I don't want to rain on the "he was a decent man" parade, and I too would feel better if W was a nominee right now and not Trump, but come on. It is true that a lot of the problems in his presidency could be attributed to incompetence and not maliciousness, but there was plenty of malicious. Whether or not the orders came from the man or not, it is a warning of what happens when you put someone in office not that interested in the work of gov't.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
This just reminded of when Bush threw out first pitch at the World Series in New York after 9/11 and threw a perfect strike. As a kid who was a pitcher and entirely nationalistic at the time, I remember being so proud. Had to be the height of his presidency, lol.

That's the single greatest first pitch of all time. Nothing will ever top it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
The greatest trick Donald Trump ever pulled was convincing liberals "maybe W wasn't the worst after all"

I think he's a bumbling fool when it comes to politics. But all in all, a good guy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
Ha, I don't want to rain on the "he was a decent man" parade, and I too would feel better if W was a nominee right now and not Trump, but come on. It is true that a lot of the problems in his presidency could be attributed to incompetence and not maliciousness, but there was plenty of malicious. Whether or not the orders came from the man or not, it is a warning of what happens when you put someone in office not that interested in the work of gov't.

Oh I don't want my post to imply anything other than Trump himself is new levels of awfulness. Bush himself was still a horrible President whose policies harmed millions.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
The greatest trick Donald Trump ever pulled off was running as the GOP's candidate after decades of being record as a democrat. I still can't believe the s*** show that was the GOP's primary.

Yep. Two of the best con-artists in history.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Good Josh Marshall article on the Clinton campaign:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/--100769

By not singling out Stumpf and not taking the kind of tough stance that Warren did, Clinton missed a golden opportunity to tell voters what she really cared about – and do so without alienating a significant bloc of voters. And it certainly wouldn’t have put her at odds with Obama. I simply don’t understand why Clinton and her campaign took a pass, but it’s more or less characteristic of her campaign, and it is one important reason Trump has pulled close to her in the polls.

I can think of a reason why. It's telling that unlike Warren, Clinton didn't even accuse the CEO of doing anything wrong. She generically referred to "this behavior" and then threw out a bunch of proposed ideas that she, and her friends in Wall Street, know has about a 2% chance of happening. They're fine with her throwing out those worthless proposals because they know she'll never act on it.

From Clinton's letter:

"Second, we need real consequences when firms on Wall Street break the law. This past week, we learned that one of the Wells Fargo executives that oversaw the division that ripped off its customers left the bank – not with a pink slip, but with a $125 million payout. It’s hard to imagine that top executives were unaware of a problem that involved thousands of the firm’s employees. After all, they imposed sales targets and compensation incentives in ways that led to this behavior. And it’s frustrating that a bank can simply pay a fine and keep doing business as usual – with massive compensation for the executives responsible. That compensation should be clawed back.

I’ve put forward an agenda to enhance accountability on Wall Street. Executives should be held individually accountable when rampant illegal activity happens on their watch. Their compensation should take a hit if their companies pay major fines. And they must face appropriate legal consequences if they break the law."

Wall street shill!

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/sta...argo-customers/

Edit: added URL.

Edited by bmags