2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Because that's why we vote for presidents, to preserve the legacy of the predecessor.

Uh, yes? If she likes Obama's policies, which I'm assuming Michele does, she should vote and campaign for the candidate who will keep those in place and push them even further. It's a hell of a lot better of a reason than voting because you personally like or dislike someone.

Being an adult is being self-sufficient, accomplishing goals, taking interest in the lives of others and making the people around you live better lives.

Voting plays no part in being an adult. We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. Voting, as a citizen of Illinois, is wasting ~21 minutes of time I could better utilize elsewhere.

Thank you for lecturing us on the difference between a democracy and a republic. We were all ignorant before that. (ps it's not because we're a republic that your presidential vote in Illinois is meaningless as nothing about being a republic requires the electoral college!)

Some of us believe that we can take interest in the lives of others and make their lives better through government. Implementing policies and programs or changing policies and programs you think are detrimental is part of accomplishing very worthwhile goals.

edit: at a bare minimum, voting in local and state elections can still have a large impact on your life even if we're a republic instead of a direct democracy!

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Her speeches are 90% praising Clinton, 5% shouting out her husband, 5% trashing Trump.

She's an active, relevant political figure who is the most popular person in U.S. politics. If not for registration deadlines, she could declare her candidacy for Illinois senator right now and beat Mark Kirk by 20 points if she wanted to.

Thats not joke, shes amazing. She also is campaigning largely for Clinton because Trump is a absolute disaster for this country and its better to elect whatever you think Clinton is instead of a complete f***ing dickwad.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
raBBit...are you married? Do you respect her opinion? Do you think she is smart? I hope you do for your sake, but also to make the point that if you think the President of the United STates doesn't ask he wife (and pretty soon, her husband) their opinion on certain matters, you are crazy.

And, on top of that, the last few First Ladies have the brains to answer rationally.

They don't make the speeches. They don't veto or sign bills. But to say they don't do anything is illogical and short-sighted.

And if Trump wins he's set the bar of first ladies back down close to the dirt.

Because that's why we vote for presidents, to preserve the legacy of the predecessor.

Being an adult is being self-sufficient, accomplishing goals, taking interest in the lives of others and making the people around you live better lives.

Voting plays no part in being an adult. We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. Voting, as a citizen of Illinois, is wasting ~21 minutes of time I could better utilize elsewhere.

Policies matter and instutions matter more than people. They are harder to change than the people in charge. I care a lot more about Clinton progressing and upholding the progress that was made after 8 terrible years than I do that she doesn't seem relateable, or isn't authentic, or doesn't personally make me feel good.

Yeah, well many of us view our countries political institutions as crucial to helping the lives of others. Not voting and then sniping at others trying to do their duty to their country is nothing more than being a nihilist. You aren't special because you see things happening in the world that you don't like and attriubute it to a elitist global conspiracy that will put you down. Things don't change in this country because it has 330 million people with different goals and values, most all of which disagree with you at any time, and it takes a lot of work and time to build a coalition to do what you want.

It took healthcare FORTY YEARS to go from idea to practice for more than the most vulnerable. Children were not guaranteed insurance until SCHIP closed the loop 18 years ago.

If you vote for whomever matches your political values exactly and ignore the rest that don't, you will find that every progress you make gets overwritten and compounded until you never accomplish anything.

So yeah, I expect adults in important positions to ignore personal squabbles that get in the way of making the best decision for those who rely on those institutions.

There are other issues on the ballot besides for President.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
There are other issues on the ballot besides for President.

Correct, and there are local initiatives on my ballot which are very big deals to local life in my town.

Local politics ARE totally controlled by 2-3 local interest groups, but also can totally be swayed by getting 100 of your neighbors to vote that day.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Correct, and there are local initiatives on my ballot which are very big deals to local life in my town.

Local politics ARE totally controlled by 2-3 local interest groups, but also can totally be swayed by getting 100 of your neighbors to vote that day.

At least you can sit on your county's vote page as the results are coming in on election night mashing F5 these days, can't imagine the anxiety of not knowing for at least a day if some big personal issue or position won or not.

f***, a Napoleon quote? My faith in the ability of government to improve lives is shattered!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
HRC being a better candidate than Donald Trump adds nothing to her allure as a candidate.

Given two choices, which is how the system works whether we think it should or not, the choice that is better should be more alluring than the choice that is worse.

I've said multiple times that the Electoral College is garbage for multiple reasons, one being that it's yet another factor in our electoral system that confines us to two choices. But just because I don't like it doesn't mean it magically goes away, so instead I deal with the system as it is today even if I'd like it to change in the future. That's also part of being an adult.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
http://oprfsswim.blogspot.com/

Rock - Gonna keep cruitin.

LOL. All I have gleaned from this situation is that its a complete s*** show. I'll vote yes because of the kids opinions and my own brood, but clearly this was handled f***ing terribly. You may see my name pop up on a local ballot soon...

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
That's a fair point but I certainly don't have time to understand those issues nor do I have the desire to. So if you're one of the few people who care, it means more to you. I'm of the 99% that doesn't.

If you have time to post on Soxtalk about politics and appear to be pretty knowledgeable about current events, you have time to learn a little bit about the issues that you have the most direct influence over. This is just laziness and ignorance masquerading as some sort of moral or ideological stance about politics.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
LOL. All I have gleaned from this situation is that its a complete s*** show. I'll vote yes because of the kids opinions and my own brood, but clearly this was handled f***ing terribly. You may see my name pop up on a local ballot soon...

"Excuse me, there must be a mistake, I don't see RockRaines on the ballot?"

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
"Excuse me, there must be a mistake, I don't see RockRaines on the ballot?"

It will be under my actual name for the internet recognition.

I've already volunteered on a committee, its about time I get my Mayoral campaign going.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
It will be under my actual name for the internet recognition.

I've already volunteered on a committee, its about time I get my Mayoral campaign going.

Running for mayor in a city like Chicago costs a LOT of money. That's how people like Rahm get re-elected, not because people necessarily like him so much they run to the polls to vote him back in.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Running for mayor in a city like Chicago costs a LOT of money. That's how people like Rahm get re-elected, not because people necessarily like him so much they run to the polls to vote him back in.

Ah but this is the Village of Oak Park, not the City of chicago.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Thanks for your advice on how I should spend my time.

According to you, the individual who leads almost every thread in this subforum in posts, I am lazy and ignorant for choosing not to take the time to read about local politics. Your condescension knows no bounds and the majority of people who read this post could take offense from your ridiculous, widely offensive opinion.

I'll let others speak for themselves.

I'm also not sure what my (far too high) post count in the subforum has to do with anything beyond some more sniping at me.

But I do maintain that if someone shows the level of interest in politics that you clearly show but knows absolutely nothing about their local politics and think it's a waste of time to vote, they're lazy and intentionally ignorant. They are, of course, absolutely free to be that way and to spend their time reading up on failed 3rd party primary candidates rather than understanding local issues they could actually influence, but that doesn't change my assessment. You've got a couple of posters in this very thread in the last couple of pages discussing their own local politics and the impact it has on their community, and as I've mentioned before, I have some direct experience with local politicians in mine. These things matter.

Edited by StrangeSox