2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
Thinking about it for a few minutes, and leaving all of the typical hyperbole behind of Nazi, fascist etc behind, Andrew Jackson might be the best comp for a Donald Trump presidency.

And yes, I am going to post that on facebook too ;)

It's a good parallel in some ways. Only instead of Mexican immigrants, the big target was American Indians (though in the latter case, it was the Americans doing the illegal immigration). Jackson not only deployed the removal policy, he outright encouraged violent ends by civilians for any AmerInd people who didn't move.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
It's a good parallel in some ways. Only instead of Mexican immigrants, the big target was American Indians (though in the latter case, it was the Americans doing the illegal immigration). Jackson not only deployed the removal policy, he outright encouraged violent ends by civilians for any AmerInd people who didn't move.

That was one of the things that absolutely came to mind.

This article somehow manages to be condescending to just about everyone, but I think it manages to capture some of the economic struggles/devastation facing the more rural and small-town areas of the country.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trum...ne-talks-about/

For as much as white nationalism and white grievance drives Trump's base, there are real economic anxieties out there that are unfortunately overshadowed by that other 90% of his campaign.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
This article somehow manages to be condescending to just about everyone, but I think it manages to capture some of the economic struggles/devastation facing the more rural and small-town areas of the country.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trum...ne-talks-about/

For as much as white nationalism and white grievance drives Trump's base, there are real economic anxieties out there that are unfortunately overshadowed by that other 90% of his campaign.

I've been saying for a while, I can understand why the coal minor in West Virginia is voting for Trump. I mean, good or bad, the death of coal is far more accelerated under the Dem's target policy than the GOP. And those jobs are their whole world, really. I get it, even if I despise Trump.

Some fun info about that 'experimental' LA Times tracking poll that swings somewhat wildly but has been very favorable to Trump:

How One 19-Year-Old Illinois Man Is Distorting National Polling Averages

The one Trump supporting 18-21 year old black male who earns 75-100k and counts for 25x normal weight did not take the poll this week, so the percentage of black support for Trump went from 14 to 5%. That's why that poll should be ignored.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Some fun info about that 'experimental' LA Times tracking poll that swings somewhat wildly but has been very favorable to Trump:

How One 19-Year-Old Illinois Man Is Distorting National Polling Averages

The one Trump supporting 18-21 year old black male who earns 75-100k and counts for 25x normal weight did not take the poll this week, so the percentage of black support for Trump went from 14 to 5%. That's why that poll should be ignored.

lol, that explains why the LA Times poll shows ridiculous s*** like 20% black support for Trump.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)

Facts and pictures don't matter to the Trump supporters. If Guilani said she didn't care and wasn't there, they buy it. I really think this guy has lost his mind.

On the bright side, at least he remembers these attacks happened now. He forgot a month or so ago, thought nothing happened until Obama.

Edited by Dick Allen

Holly Bailey @hollybdc

Crowd turns away from Trump and starts heckling CNN. Another guy turns ire on other reporters: "I hate you! We hate you!!!"

1:04 PM - 12 Oct 2016

Holly Bailey @hollybdc

Trump dramatically steps away from the podium and just paces around for a few secs. Crowd shouts, "The media sucks! The media sucks!"

1:07 PM - 12 Oct 2016

Trump and his supporters are becoming completely unhinged.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
It astounds me the fall from around the time of the RNC, when he was gaining some serious traction and had a lot of momentum, to now. Blunder after blunder after blunder. And he still seems totally oblivious to it.

Can you imagine how frustrated his handlers/advisors must be? You know there are people in that room that see the things that we all see, points of attack and weaknesses of HRC, and they are trying to council him and then he just goes out and does his thing

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Can you imagine how frustrated his handlers/advisors must be? You know there are people in that room that see the things that we all see, points of attack and weaknesses of HRC, and they are trying to council him and then he just goes out and does his thing

Eh at this point the campaign is being run by Steve Bannon who also runs Breitbart. It's all true believers. Bannon has wanted to go scorched earth against Ryan and the GOP establishment for years, and the campaign is being run by the people who have earnestly believed for years that Republicans would dominate every election if they only attacked Democrats like they should be instead of being a bunch of RINOs.

Dylan Byers @DylanByers

Last Debate Topics

Debt & entitlements

Immigration

Economy

Supreme Court

Foreign hot spots

Fitness to be Presidenthttp://www.debates.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=71&cntnt01origid=27&cntnt01detailtemplate=newspage&cntnt01returnid=80 …

Nothing again about the environment or global warming.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
It astounds me the fall from around the time of the RNC, when he was gaining some serious traction and had a lot of momentum, to now. Blunder after blunder after blunder. And he still seems totally oblivious to it.

Hillary's blunders get ignored by the press; Trump's are headlines. For some reason, Hillary, who isn't even cooperative with the press, is their runaway choice and she benefits from the free publicity. Yes Trump gives the press a lot of material, but they aren't even trying to nail Bill/Hillary. Meghan McCain had a guest yesterday who wrote a book on evil Hillary or whatever he called it and said Bill has had wild parties in the Arkansas museum which includes an apartment he uses. Hillary always stays at the hotel the rare occasions she's been in Arkansas. The writer said Bill is ambivalent about Hillary winning cause he knows if she wins his love life with others has to end. He'll have to be accounted for in D.C. I mean this guy is SAYING it at risk of lawsuits but nobody's checking it out?? Hmmm.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
Hillary's blunders get ignored by the press; Trump's are headlines. For some reason, Hillary, who isn't even cooperative with the press, is their runaway choice and she benefits from the free publicity. Yes Trump gives the press a lot of material, but they aren't even trying to nail Bill/Hillary. Meghan McCain had a guest yesterday who wrote a book on evil Hillary or whatever he called it and said Bill has had wild parties in the Arkansas museum which includes an apartment he uses. Hillary always stays at the hotel the rare occasions she's been in Arkansas. The writer said Bill is ambivalent about Hillary winning cause he knows if she wins his love life with others has to end. He'll have to be accounted for in D.C. I mean this guy is SAYING it at risk of lawsuits but nobody's checking it out?? Hmmm.

Name me all the blunders without mentioning emails or Benghazi. Name 5 blunders from Hillary in the past week and we will hold them up next to Trumps blunders

You refuse to acknowledge that Trump does stupid s*** not daily, but HOURLY, and forces people to say "look at all this stupid s***!"

But, greg ignoring reality and repeating himself(in the third person) is to be expected

The Greg needs to stop it.

stop listening to talk radio

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
"In the good ol' days..."

This is a chilling video juxtaposing Trump rally rhetoric with 1960's anti-civil rights footage

Apparently this is from a new documentary up on Netflix about mass incarceration and modern slavery called "13th"

Interviewing noted legal thinkers like Michelle Alexander (author of The New Jim Crow), the documentary argues that this “loophole”— allowing forced labor for criminals—enabled resentful white society to imprison black citizens on minor charges and put them to work.

Since then, the film argues, a variety of measures—from Jim Crow laws to President Richard Nixon’s “war on drugs” and President Bill Clinton’s “three-strikes-you’re-out” legislation—have served to send increasingly large numbers of black men in prison, and several legal scholars and activists interviewed on camera suggest a profit motive at work, as well as racism. Corporations have reaped profits off the privatization of prisons and prison labor; some prisoners have gotten paid as little as 12 cents an hour, doing work for corporations, like Victoria’s Secret and Walmart.

The film charts the explosive growth in America’s prison population; in 1970, there were about 200,000 prisoners; today, the prison population is more than 2 million. Although the U.S. has just 5% of the world’s population, it has about 25% of the world’s prisoners, and about one in three prisoners are black men. More than 60% of the people in U.S prisons are people of color.

Edited by StrangeSox