2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a anti-mexican, anti-muslim position that he's made that has not been matched by Rubio/Cruz? Rubio seems to get this pass as most reasonable when he has tacitly or explicitly backed a lot of the same rhetoric.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Is there a anti-mexican, anti-muslim position that he's made that has not been matched by Rubio/Cruz? Rubio seems to get this pass as most reasonable when he has tacitly or explicitly backed a lot of the same rhetoric.

Dipping the bullets in pigs blood to offend their religion.

I'm watching the other thread try to talk themselves into why it's ok to vote for a person running on a flat out racist platform and it's terrifying me.

Everybody except Bernie is running on racist platform. Trump just isn't trying to disguise it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Well, yes that's probably not word for word in Rubios mouth.

He's just taken the subtext and made it text. I think there is some difference though, how many white supremacist and neo-nazi organizations were openly and proudly endorsing past GOP candidates?

Bernie has some leftist supporters that see things almost exclusively through a class lens and tend to discount racial or gender struggles, claiming it's all really a part of class warfare.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
He's just taken the subtext and made it text. I think there is some difference though, how many white supremacist and neo-nazi organizations were openly and proudly endorsing past GOP candidates?

Bernie has some leftist supporters that see things almost exclusively through a class lens and tend to discount racial or gender struggles, claiming it's all really a part of class warfare.

(brain: ugh, you know I want to say all of them) Answer: "David Duke?"

Curious who you guys prefer. Obviously Rubio is kind of just a run of the mill candidate, likely sticks to government norms. But the fact is he's running on a foreign policy platform and that's scary to me.

Right, but, again that's where I kind of think Trump has to be the lesser of their evils. Especially when there's a higher likelihood that he completely flips script in GE and starts prescribing more moderate policies.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Right, but, again that's where I kind of think Trump has to be the lesser of their evils. Especially when there's a higher likelihood that he completely flips script in GE and starts prescribing more moderate policies.

That is the problem with Trump. We literally have no idea who he is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)

It's one of many problems with Trump. Not the least of which is his communications, whether genuine or not, are patently offensive to large swaths of the world that the US has to work with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
I'm watching the other thread try to talk themselves into why it's ok to vote for a person running on a flat out racist platform and it's terrifying me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)

A person with a flat out racist platform.

I really don't need to see anything else, I'm going to lose all respect for anyone who votes for that.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)

Yeah that attempt totally flopped.

I literally just read this (not the racist part, the sexist part, but somehow I think it's not a bridge too far to suggest those comment writers will overlap):

Thus, while we do find some evidence of Bernie Bros’ bad behavior, abuse against Clinton by Sanders supporters — both male and female —seems relatively limited. Clinton certainly faces a barrage of negativity and a heavy dose of sexism on Twitter. But that mostly appears to come from the right.

And though any and all instances of sexist slurs deserve condemnation, Sanders’ keyboard warriors accounted for just 89 such tweets during the New Hampshire primary. That is a mere 0.17 percent of all the tweets mentioning @HillaryClinton that we examined.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)

I really don't need to see anything else, I'm going to lose all respect for anyone who votes for that.

For real. It doesn't matter whether Trump believes this stuff, or if he's getting ready to pivot to the middle, or if he's establishment, blah blah blah. A person who says these things and behaves this way doesn't belong in the White House.

I've been reading Balta's posts about Republican platform of racism which makes me shake my head. But it got me to thinking about the Clinton's relationship with African American voters. It's the stuff of which landslides are made.

Once Bernie is done and drops out, there's gonna be the biggest lovefest in political history regarding Hillary and how everybody (cept young women) love her. Folks, if it is she vs. Trump, Trump's head is going to explode over the coverage of the election. It's gonna be entertaining. Get ready for fireworks.

If I'm posting too much about Hillary let me know. I just sense the biggest landslide in presidential election history coming up. Remember, once Bernie is out, the Democrats WILL rally from all nooks and crannies to sing her praises. That's why some of us call it a "coronation."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)

I think Trump is a buffoon. He'd be a terrible, terrible president. But so would Cruz. And probably Rubio. And so would Sanders. And as much a slimy human being I believe Hillary Clinton, she's actually fairly moderate and would basically be an extension of Obama, which is not this terrible thing most Republicans like to convince themselves of. But when you compare Trump to the rest of the clowns, there's not much separating them. I know I've lost all respect for those I know who I see touting Sanders on facebook every single day.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
I think Trump is a buffoon. He'd be a terrible, terrible president. But so would Cruz. And probably Rubio. And so would Sanders. And as much a slimy human being I believe Hillary Clinton, she's actually fairly moderate and would basically be an extension of Obama, which is not this terrible thing most Republicans like to convince themselves of. But when you compare Trump to the rest of the clowns, there's not much separating them. I know I've lost all respect for those I know who I see touting Sanders on facebook every single day.

On a policy basis, Sanders is actually further from his party's current center than Trump. But I don't think differently about friends or family based on political policy differences.

I do, however, think much differently of Trump supporters, and it has zero to do with policy. I'm sorry, but people who support that clown are morons. I'm with Bill James on this (yes the baseball Bill James, who recently wrote a piece about this). The guy can really bring in the idiots, especially angry ones. But that's all there is to his entire platform and campaign - anger, bluster, intimidation. This is not about policy - I don't feel the same way about friend who like Cruz, or Sanders, or Clinton, or Rubio or anyone else in either field. Or in any field I've ever seen as a voter. Literally, Trump is the only one I feel that way about. Which says something.

I like how Sanders is always lumped in with Trump and Cruz. Not really sure how that is, but it tends to happen all the time.

Also the line of thinking that if you aren't a moderate, you can't be a good president. Why would Hillary Clinton be a good president? Well she is a moderate, that's why.