2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

She also has had some really interesting policy ideas, obviously important to me now, but targeting child care at 10% of household income. It's an interesting to target a percentage, you'd have kind of a grab bag of approaches, which suits her.

Family policy and Housing policy in this country is a joke, and federally the former is a lot easier to help change.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 17, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Obama got an astronomical amount done, especially when consider the embarrassment that he got for Congress.

Oh My Gosh. You think Obama was a good president? The country is so divided now after his eight years. On race. Economy. Foreign affairs. Horrible, horrible president. But I do like him personally, his style. He's a bright, funny guy IMO an a Sox fan. HORRIBLE president though. My gosh.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Oh My Gosh. You think Obama was a good president? The country is so divided now after his eight years. On race. Economy. Foreign affairs. Horrible, horrible president. But I do like him personally, his style. He's a bright, funny guy IMO an a Sox fan. HORRIBLE president though. My gosh.

And he tried for six years to work with an infantile legislative branch.

Obama is animated by a sense that, looking at the world around him, the U.S. economy is in much better shape than the public appreciates, especially when measured against the depths of the financial crisis and the possibility — now rarely even considered — that things could have been much, much worse. Over a series of conversations in the Oval Office, on Air Force One and in Florida, Obama analyzed, sometimes with startling frankness, nearly every element of his economic agenda since he came into office. His economy has certainly come further than most people recognize. The private sector has added jobs for 73 consecutive months — some 14.4 million new jobs in all — the longest period of sustained job growth on record. Unemployment, which peaked at 10 percent the year Obama took office, the highest it had been since 1983, under Ronald Reagan, is now 5 percent, lower than when Reagan left office. The budget deficit has fallen by roughly $1 trillion during his two terms. And overall U.S. economic growth has significantly outpaced that of every other advanced nation.

He got Osama.

He got everyone health care.

Helped push the rights of LGTBQ individuals along.

Greg, only reason people probably seem more divided than in the good ole' days is because we have the internet.

But no, let's blame him for racism that he was the subject of for eight years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)

He got Osama.

Greg, only reason people probably seem more divided than in the good ole' days is because we have the internet.

I laugh every time I see stuff like this. First off, the R's were just as ridiculous with Bill Clinton, and probably worse. Obama himself hasn't been hauled in front of any group to testify about anything. He hasn't been indicted by Congress. He hasn't suffered investigation after investigation.

Second, it also ignores that the same amount of irrational hatred went on with W. He got charactured as a monkey on a regular basis. He was called Hitler on a regular basis. There were regular movements to have him indicted for various things, including war crimes. There were mainstream TV show dedicated to mocking W.

Are there racists that go after Obama? Sure. Is the main reason he gets targeted racism? No, absolutely not. It is politics, pure and simple. If it were racism, you should be able to look at The Bill Clinton Presidency and see is getting treated differently because he isn't black.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 17, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)

He got Osama.

He was a pathetic president, but again, I do like him personally. Nothing against him. Sox fans are welcome in the White House.

Race: College campuses are a total mess with protests. Rioting does not appear to be far off. Big cities are crime ridden and racial tension is huge. All under Obama who has shown zero leadership.

Economy: Middle class has been decimated. All the wealth is controlled by the top 1 percent.

Health care: Skyrocketing costs continue. His plan's implementation was a wreck with nothing but chaos.

War on terror: Country gripped by fear with school shootings a common occurrence.

Need I go on? The big question are we better off now than 8 years ago? LOL to that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
I laugh every time I see stuff like this. First off, the R's were just as ridiculous with Bill Clinton, and probably worse. Obama himself hasn't been hauled in front of any group to testify about anything. He hasn't been indicted by Congress. He hasn't suffered investigation after investigation.

Second, it also ignores that the same amount of irrational hatred went on with W. He got charactured as a monkey on a regular basis. He was called Hitler on a regular basis. There were regular movements to have him indicted for various things, including war crimes. There were mainstream TV show dedicated to mocking W.

Are there racists that go after Obama? Sure. Is the main reason he gets targeted racism? No, absolutely not. It is politics, pure and simple. If it were racism, you should be able to look at The Bill Clinton Presidency and see is getting treated differently because he isn't black.

Wait, SS2k5 I'm agreeing with you...?

I'm saying that's why we SEEM more divided. This s*** went on all the time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
He was a pathetic president, but again, I do like him personally. Nothing against him. Sox fans are welcome in the White House.

Race: College campuses are a total mess with protests. Rioting does not appear to be far off. Big cities are crime ridden and racial tension is huge. All under Obama who has shown zero leadership.

Economy: Middle class has been decimated. All the wealth is controlled by the top 1 percent.

Health care: Skyrocketing costs continue. His plan's implementation was a wreck with nothing but chaos.

War on terror: Country gripped by fear with school shootings a common occurrence.

Need I go on? The big question are we better off now than 8 years ago? LOL to that.

You are an enigma.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)

LOL.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 17, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
I'd be interested in how Obama has divided this country on race. By simply being black? Educate me.

He apparently divided the country on race by saying that shooting unarmed people - either by vigilantes or by the police - is a problem that African Americans suffer at a rate higher than the rest of the population. What a jerk!

QUOTE (Brian @ May 17, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
I'd be interested in how Obama has divided this country on race. By simply being black? Educate me.

By showing no leadership on the Black Lives Matter issue. By very rarely going out to the sites of violence like St. Louis. Ferguson was HUGE and no leadership from the top. It was like he didn't want to get involved.

This declare your white privilege thing is not going away and only going to result in violence when the wrong whites are provoked. No town hall meetings or national conferences on issues/race/economy.

He was a do-nothing president, but that's fine. Many do nothing. I said I liked him personally and as a Sox fan and I stand by that. By all accounts, he likes a good smoke and a good game of basktball and seems like a GREAT dad and husband. He rocks, but as President? Big fat D-minus!

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
By showing no leadership on the Black Lives Matter issue. By very rarely going out to the sites of violence like St. Louis. Ferguson was HUGE and no leadership from the top. It was like he didn't want to get involved.

This declare your white privilege thing is not going away and only going to result in violence when the wrong whites are provoked. No town hall meetings or national conferences on issues/race/economy.

He was a do-nothing president, but that's fine. Many do nothing. I said I liked him personally and as a Sox fan and I stand by that. By all accounts, he likes a good smoke and a good game of basktball and seems like a GREAT dad and husband. He rocks, but as President? Big fat D-minus!

To live in the Greg Bubble would be fascinating.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)

Do you know what a "consent decree" is?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/preside...yelling-n561046

I would say this is a fairly good summary on the President's position on Black Lives Matter - and a pretty solid response overall. Or would you rather the President put together a team of elite operatives to take down any person yelling about white privilege.

Also of note, why is Obama's smoking habit a positive for you? That's weird.

Obama just let a population of the black community down when he went to Flint last week. Stood in front of them and said the drinking water is fine. One of the few times I was embarrassed for him.

What would he have done in Ferguson? People on the right want everything governed by the state, until there is a problem like that. That situation stayed out of control when their governor was absent for days. You should've been more concerned with his lack of leadership in that state.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 17, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Obama just let a population of the black community down when he went to Flint last week. Stood in front of them and said the drinking water is fine. One of the few times I was embarrassed for him.

What would he have done in Ferguson? People on the right want everything governed by the state, until there is a problem like that. That situation stayed out of control when their governor was absent for days. You should've been more concerned with his lack of leadership in that state.

As someone that lives in said state, yes.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/preside...yelling-n561046

I would say this is a fairly good summary on the President's position on Black Lives Matter - and a pretty solid response overall. Or would you rather the President put together a team of elite operatives to take down any person yelling about white privilege.

Also of note, why is Obama's smoking habit a positive for you? That's weird.

That's a start. Did his speech get lost since it was in ... London??? BTW he should have told it like it is and added that they dont' want to sit down and talk about it. That is the problem. They want to b**** and moan and be given the privilege that whites have had forever. Now they want it and they want wealth/riches without working for it. They want the privilege and won't rest til it's given to them.

By smoke .. I coulda said a beer. He seems like a regular guy who wants to have a few beers or cigars or cigs after playing pick-up basketball a couple hours. He's OK by me. But a lousy D- president.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 17, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)

He said that you can now drink the water if you have a water filter installed. He didn't say that there wasn't a lead problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
That's a start. Did his speech get lost since it was in ... London??? BTW he should have told it like it is and added that they dont' want to sit down and talk about it. That is the problem. They want to b**** and moan and be given the privilege that whites have had forever. Now they want it and they want wealth/riches without working for it. They want the privilege and won't rest til it's given to them.

By smoke .. I coulda said a beer. He seems like a regular guy who wants to have a few beers or cigars or cigs after playing pick-up basketball a couple hours. He's OK by me. But a lousy D- president.

Maybe it's that rushlimbaugh.com and breitbart.com didn't cover his Rutgers and Howard speeches.

I really don't care if anyone doesn't like me admiring Obama or thinking he's a good president and I stopped trying to explain it, I don't owe anyone an explanation nor do I care what they think. They usually fall into one of these categories:

1. Conservatives who don't like him on principle which is fine, but there's really no reason to discuss a thing that's settled

2. People who are far to the left of him (though they tend to like him more often than not)

3. White people who are not necessarily racist but aren't comfortable with things associated with or important to black people (they usually complain when Obama says or does something "black")

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
The nerve of them, getting uppity like that!

So the solution is to scream and yell and picket and bust up library study halls (violence coming?) and not want to sit down and have a talk to find solutions? The crime as they see it: White have had privelege for 200 years. The solution: Give me that privilege and give it to me NOW.

Uh ... how are we going to do that? Good luck to those kids who get arrested EVER finding a good job til it is expunged from their record at least.

Edited by greg775