2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
Will they still have the California primary if she's got the nomination? If they do have it ... now Hillary has ANOTHER built in laughing point if Bernie wins yet another primary. She'll just laugh and say, "I am the nominee, so in effect, I won today." And she'll brush Bernie off her lapel like the innocent gnat he proved to be.

It's also sad cause these reports might keep people home and again harm Bernie's chances. This is such bulls***. It's all fixed. The Democrat higher-ups wanted Hillary, they got Hillary. If I was a Bernie supporter no way in hell I'd support Hillary after this fix-job. it's ridiculous. They made it so tough on Bernie. whatever happened to the Democratic process in the f***ing Democratic party?

There was no fix, but now King Bernie the Sanctimonious wants a coronation at the DNC instead f the democratically elected nominee.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it was so easy to fix, why weren't Bush or Rubio or even Kasich the nominee on the Republican side?

The GOP is "more democratic and fairer?"

Well, it all depends on if your belief in superdelegates runs along with the assumption they are mostly irrational political actors who don't have the party's best interests at heart.

Bernie Sanders had the most liberal record in the Senate during Hillary's time serving NY. Hillary, surprisingly was 11th, which is probably to the left of where her actual beliefs lie but was pulled leftward a bit because of being a NY senator rather than one from Arkansas.

If you look at candidates to the left like Dukakis, Mondale, McGovern, Humphrey...none of them came close to winning a national election. Elections are won from the middle.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Structural racism isn't a two way street. The prejudices and assumptions minorities face aren't the same as a white person is going to face. That's why it doesn't work in reverse. That's easy the Supreme Court will throw out a case when it's shown that the prosecution worked to get an all white jury for a minority defendant - they are well aware of these realities.

So it's not linear, and trumps racism doesn't actually flow logically from a recognition of structural racism.

Which is exactly why Trump is so popular. The left has honestly convinced itself that racism only works one way, which drives the right crazy, so now they are returning the racism favor. Hate begets hate, racism begets racism.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Which is exactly why Trump is so popular. The left has honestly convinced itself that racism only works one way, which drives the right crazy, so now they are returning the racism favor. Hate begets hate, racism begets racism.

This is all true but the white devils started this.

That is all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)

This is like blaming the Jews for the Holocaust. If the Jews hadnt taken German jobs, then the Germans wouldnt have been mad at them. Shame on those Jews.

The real problem is no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Who cares what the other side thinks, just because Trump may think idiotic things, doesnt make me all of a sudden change who I am to combat him. I think the actual reality is that the right convinced themselves that the left believes racism only works one way. I have yet to meet someone on the left who wouldnt concede that there can be racism against white people. But then again, I think the point that many on the left are actually making is:

While racism may occur against white people, it is more prevalent against non-whites.

The reason why Trump is so popular is because creating scapegoats is effective. There is a certain percentage of the population who are very willing to blame everyone else for their problems, who do not want to take accountability for their own position in life.

Well see what happens in November.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
This is like blaming the Jews for the Holocaust. If the Jews hadnt taken German jobs, then the Germans wouldnt have been mad at them. Shame on those Jews.

The real problem is no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Who cares what the other side thinks, just because Trump may think idiotic things, doesnt make me all of a sudden change who I am to combat him. I think the actual reality is that the right convinced themselves that the left believes racism only works one way. I have yet to meet someone on the left who wouldnt concede that there can be racism against white people. But then again, I think the point that many on the left are actually making is:

While racism may occur against white people, it is more prevalent against non-whites.

The reason why Trump is so popular is because creating scapegoats is effective. There is a certain percentage of the population who are very willing to blame everyone else for their problems, who do not want to take accountability for their own position in life.

Well see what happens in November.

Bingo. You have also hit on the reason that Bernie Sanders has gotten as far as he has, and large share of the Democratic platform having been what it has been historically.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)

The negative impact of racism in one direction is much more severe than it is the other way. That's the missing part of this conversation, and I don't think there's any evidence out there that can refute that fact.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
What stage of grief are we on? Are we only on denial still?

I am. i may vote for the guy with the boot on his head.

But honestly, I'm really going to have to dig into both of the candidates to decide which is the lesser of two evils. This could be the election that I've researched the most ever.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
The negative impact of racism in one direction is much more severe than it is the other way. That's the missing part of this conversation, and I don't think there's any evidence out there that can refute that fact.

Yes, but for that to come out in the election or debates, there would need to be an admission of racism the other way and the media would go crazy with it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Yes, but for that to come out in the election or debates, there would need to be an admission of racism the other way and the media would go crazy with it.

But it also renders reverse racism, to the extent that it exists, irrelevant to policy. So why should it come out at the debates or in the election? Systemic racism is the policy issue, and that flows disproportionately in one direction.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
Bingo. You have also hit on the reason that Bernie Sanders has gotten as far as he has, and large share of the Democratic platform having been what it has been historically.

The difference is that Trump is only about himself. I am not a Sanders fan, but I actually do believe that at the end of the day he is in politics to try and help other people. On the other hand, I believe that Trump is entirely in it for himself. That he would do anything to put himself in a better position, make more money, etc. That is why I am really anti-Trump. From a personal perspective, it is unlikely that Trump as President would have any impact on my life (well unless he starts WWIII but I think he is too much of a coward for that.) But I just cant idly sit by while a person vilifies large swaths of people for nothing more than his own personal gain.

Trump is nothing more than a demagogue. I think the best comparison would be a less intelligent Ferdinand Marcos.

Donald Trump=Bonny Prince Charlie

Even Ryan's ripping on him about "identity politics" and racist tones/language to his statements. The GOP definitely doesn't want to get branded even more as an all-white party because that's a surefire loss with today's shifting American demographic trends.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
Will they still have the California primary if she's got the nomination? If they do have it ... now Hillary has ANOTHER built in laughing point if Bernie wins yet another primary. She'll just laugh and say, "I am the nominee, so in effect, I won today." And she'll brush Bernie off her lapel like the innocent gnat he proved to be.

It's also sad cause these reports might keep people home and again harm Bernie's chances. This is such bulls***. It's all fixed. The Democrat higher-ups wanted Hillary, they got Hillary. If I was a Bernie supporter no way in hell I'd support Hillary after this fix-job. it's ridiculous. They made it so tough on Bernie. whatever happened to the Democratic process in the f***ing Democratic party?

Well, she has gotten more votes and will likely end with more votes across the nation.

Believe it or not, more people picked her than Bernie.

No one is knocking Bernie, he took it a LOT further than people expected. Democrats don't hate him, and I wouldn't be surprised if some people like myself that supported Hillary were still happy he can bring her further to the left.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
Well, she has gotten more votes and will likely end with more votes across the nation.

Believe it or not, more people picked her than Bernie.

No one is knocking Bernie, he took it a LOT further than people expected. Democrats don't hate him, and I wouldn't be surprised if some people like myself that supported Hillary were still happy he can bring her further to the left.

What would Chuck Garfien do?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
What would Chuck Garfien do?

Depends what Hillary wants our lineup to look like.

---

A lot of people can say a lot of things about our current president, but I still think it's pretty damn cool he's a Sox fan.

In other shocking news, African-American students are 4X more likely to disciplined or expelled from schools than white students.

Hopefully Trump will make a comment on that one...he really hasn't said much about crime or education in terms of any type of concrete policy or plan. Well. Not that I realistically expected anything of substance, who are we crappin'?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/06...ended/85526458/

Yet another example of systemic bias/prejudice/racism in our public school systems.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
The daughter of the first African American president will get to cast her first vote for the first female presidential candidate. (Stolen from a tweet).

I think this party can be fairly content with that.

Sure, unless you realize that their being inclusive enraged Republicans into being intolerant and they had to nominate Trumjp. So...unclean hands.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Sure, unless you realize that their being inclusive enraged Republicans into being intolerant and they had to nominate Trumjp. So...unclean hands.

The other party can try to blame mine for their nominee all they want, I can simply nod. As long as our nominee doesn't let that disaster happen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
The Head of the Judiciary Chair of the Republican party, ladies and gentleman:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gras...yor-wise-latina

Noted non-racist Pat Buchanan was also pushing this line.

In a damage control conference call a few days ago, Trump directed his surrogates to double-down on his remarks and accuse the media of being the real racists for questioning Trump.

This whole thing is just a completely unforced error, too. That Trump U was a big scam was going to be in the media, but the judge wasn't (and hasn't been) saying anything about Trump. Trump is so pathetically thin-skinned that he just had to lash out, and since then he's been unable to simply shut up about it. It's only the first full week of June and we've already hit "historic political gaff" levels. I guess we'll see exactly how much anything really mattes anymore if Trump can weather this storm plus Trump U plus guaranteed multiple future episodes.